St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino

Back in their day, St John’s had no student dorms for the players.
So - they were legally allowed to provide them a stipend (aka a bag) to provide for housing close to campus.

Since the majority of their guys were NYC players anyway, they just pocketed the $.

And for guys from out of town, 2-3-4 would live together, and pocket the difference.

Then, in their infinite wisdom, St John’s built housing for the student athletes, and that unique loophole went away.

And they’ve pretty much sucked ever since.

I think this isn’t the full story, at least as St John’s alums have shared with me. They were completely a commuter school, and wanted/needed to build dorms to attract students from a broader applicant pool. However - as soon as they had any dorms, they lost their NCAA housing waiver had to use dorms for players. For the school overall it was the right decision - just made coaching there much harder than it was historically.

We could’ve gone after Pitino but the succession plan was already in place and I’m not sure how JB would take being replaced by his old friend. But Rick is obviously the most qualified person for the job and would’ve turned things around instantly. Hopefully Red can do the same.

I think this isn’t the full story, at least as St John’s alums have shared with me. They were completely a commuter school, and wanted/needed to build dorms to attract students from a broader applicant pool. However - as soon as they had any dorms, they lost their NCAA housing waiver had to use dorms for players. For the school overall it was the right decision - just made coaching there much harder than it was historically.
Exactly. St. John’s couldn’t have continued to exist as an all-commuter school. They had to make it residential. It just happened to also have a negative impact on hoops.

That being said, it’s more that they hired a string of coaches who couldn’t make it work for a variety of reasons.

We could’ve gone after Pitino but the succession plan was already in place and I’m not sure how JB would take being replaced by his old friend. But Rick is obviously the most qualified person for the job and would’ve turned things around instantly. Hopefully Red can do the same.
Pitino would’ve been highly likely to get us back on track.

Autry is a billion times more likable and easier to root for. If he gets us back on track, then it was the better move - because it’s our guy and he’s a class act.

There were lots of posters calling for Anderson to take the reins here before this season. That’s how quickly times change.

Why is St. Johns such a hard place to win at lately? They had an amazing history for a whole bunch of years. Is it facilities, the school, being in the city? I don’t get this one.
They used to be able to pay kids “room and board”as they had no dorms.

You’d think the Garden alone would be enough for some recruits.

I think the Knicks being bad for so long hurts as well. If the Knicks were a yearly Top 4 Eastern team, then local kids would be bigger fans and want to play there.

Why is St. Johns such a hard place to win at lately? They had an amazing history for a whole bunch of years. Is it facilities, the school, being in the city? I don’t get this one.

They were an unlikely success story deep into the Big East era to begin with, they attracted top talent because they gave generous housing stipends that could be pocketed by players who didn't need housing.

Once that stopped their natural disadvantage -- small school without a ton of resources -- reared its head.

My son's first game was SU-St. John's at MSG in 2012. Place was full (75% 'Cuse fans) and rocking.

Crazy what's happened to both programs 10 years later.

Fab's first game off his suspension.

That was in my top five favorite road games of all time I think.

Just a party of an afternoon.

I went to St John’s vs Creighton at Carnesseca a few weeks ago. Brought my kids to their first basketball game and they had a blast. It was a glorified high school gym though, but was pretty energetic. If they had a larger version of that on campus instead of MSG, I think they’d be better off. Not sure they can survive without the MSG visitor ticket sales though.

Says he wants to coach til he’s 80. Sounds like someone else we know.
—Do people think he’s a better coach than JB? (I think he’s one of the few, comparing them in their primes)
—And if he takes the St John’s job, is he going to be a problem for us in recruiting and exposure?

Pitino is a problem for anyone (sometimes including his own administrators).
No one...no one...consistently gets more out of the talent he has.

He appears to have all but a lock on the St. John's job.
He'll make it his business to own NYC.
And despite the success of the Knicks and Nets, college ball will be back in the city.

Pitino will have MSG rocking.
And he'll likely have nice NIL "connections."

Exposure?
SU doesn't get much exposure in NYC in the first place...unless it's a national story as the Boeheim situation has been.

Best coach of the 2010’s imo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom