St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

St. John's fires Mike Anderson / hires Rick Pitino

Pitino is a problem for anyone (sometimes including his own administrators).
No one...no one...consistently gets more out of the talent he has.

He appears to have all but a lock on the St. John's job.
He'll make it his business to own NYC.
And despite the success of the Knicks and Nets, college ball will be back in the city.

Pitino will have MSG rocking.
And he'll likely have nice NIL "connections."

Exposure?
SU doesn't get much exposure in NYC in the first place...unless it's a national story as the Boeheim situation has been.
Are you his agent?

Pitino is a problem for anyone (sometimes including his own administrators).
No one...no one...consistently gets more out of the talent he has.

He appears to have all but a lock on the St. John's job.
He'll make it his business to own NYC.
And despite the success of the Knicks and Nets, college ball will be back in the city.

Pitino will have MSG rocking.
And he'll likely have nice NIL "connections."

Exposure?
SU doesn't get much exposure in NYC in the first place...unless it's a national story as the Boeheim situation has been.
So you don’t think it’ll be a problem for Red and the staff if Pitino “locks down” NYC in recruiting? We want to be able to compete for NYC guys like Boogie. That’s what I’m worried about and why I was hoping Pitino wouldn’t end up at St John’s or anywhere in the northeast.

The time for bringing Pitino on would have been ~2005, after JB got his NC, and when it first became apparent that JB was maybe less interested in recruiting. The problems were that Pitino was already at UL and JB still hasn't retired - otherwise the timing was prefect.

Louisville has been a better job than us for a while there is no way he'd have chosen Syracuse instead. Probably was close to getting away with all his recruiting stuff and could easily still be there with another title.

The Pitino love disgusts me I loathe him the dude absolutely owned JB and was an automatic loss whenever we played them.

Love the way Boeheim dismisses Pitino's "indiscretions" (my word, not his).
Can a Special Assistant to the Athletic Director say such things?

So you don’t think it’ll be a problem for Red and the staff if Pitino “locks down” NYC in recruiting? We want to be able to compete for NYC guys like Boogie. That’s what I’m worried about and why I was hoping Pitino wouldn’t end up at St John’s or anywhere in the northeast.
I’m not concerned, it’s been a while since St. John’s has been a player. I’m 29, grew up and still live in Northern NJ and have never seen them have any buzz.

This speaks to a bigger work ethic discussion but we’ve had Jimmy’s age used against us in recruiting for years. An early 70s Pitino doesn’t scare me.

Cooley to Georgetown and Pitino to Providence, I bet.

Cooley to Georgetown and Pitino to Providence, I bet.
I believe that coaches are a big, if not the biggest, factor in the strength of a league. That movement would be a decent bump for the BE. And the ACC, with the retirements of the past 3 years--not to mention the age of Larranaga and Hamilton--is headed in the opposite direction.

The new generation of ACC hires are crucial. Go Adrian Autry!

No way in hell is he “locking” down NYC at this point in time. Not worried one bit about Pitino vs this SU staff

Barf. I hope Pitino going to SJU isn’t a problem for us in NYC recruiting. I wanted Cuse to pursue Pitino to replace JB, but hopefully Red is the better long term hire.

I didn't say I hated him. And fans being irrational is nothing new. Let's see what they have to say about Cooley now?
I understand. I was just asking if you knew why PC’s fans hated Pitino so much, if there was something more to the story. It seems crazy if it’s because he left to coach the Knicks. No one at Syracuse was mad at Coach Mac when he left to take the Patriots job.

That seems like a done deal then. St Johns will be at the top of the Big East in no time. Will be great for Northeast BBall, not so much SU.
We were both good at the same time before.

I don’t think this is like football where only a couple northeast schools can be any good at the same time.

Much smaller rosters and much more talent in the region that we can get in hoops.

I think he’ll do well there, but for how long? I bet he’s there 4 years, max and has a couple good years.

the Big East feels alive and big again today. As i've said ad nauseum my love for that conference never wavers. I wish we were still there. It's THE place when the pieces are in place at the schools that matter.

GTOWN, ST Johns are back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom