Starting Line-up in the Fall | Syracusefan.com

Starting Line-up in the Fall

orange2win

2nd String
Tyler Ennis at PG - no question. He's all we've got

Trevor Cooney at SG - beats out Frosh Ron Patterson (maybe not for long, based on last year)

CJ Fair at PF - no question

Rakeem Christmas at C, with Coleman off the bench?? Two McDAAs fighting again for a spot. Or do we move Christmas to F and start both of them?

Michael Gbinje (Sr) beats out Jerami Grant (So.)?? Both hot prospects.

Not at all clear to me.

PG Ennis -- set in stone
SG Gbinije -- Cooney will play a lot, but Gbinije is going to open eyes
SF Fair -- set in stone
PF Grant -- here's where things start to get interesting. Grant is the better player, but does Rak start, and if so at the 4 or 5?
C Coleman -- gut feeling, but I expect Coleman to make the sophomore jump and start. If not, Rak starts here

Ennis
Gbinjie
Fair
Christmas
Coleman

JB loves keeping a starter as the 6th man. See Joseph, Jardine, Fair, Waiters, Southerland. We'll start with the big lineup then if things are slow at the 18:40 mark grant comes in and either Coleman or Christmas sits, whoever doesn't box first.

Ennis
Gbinjie
Fair
Christmas
Coleman

JB loves keeping a starter as the 6th man. See Joseph, Jardine, Fair, Waiters, Southerland. We'll start with the big lineup then if things are slow at the 18:40 mark grant comes in and either Coleman or Christmas sits, whoever doesn't box first.

Spot on. Grant will have a Waiters-like soph season. He will be first off the bench but will be a top 4 player in minutes played.

Ennis
Silent G
Fair
Either Grant or Rak
DC

I'm very concerned about who is going to spell Ennis at the point if needed. This dude is going to be counted on heavily his freshman season. How many minutes per game do you think he will have to log?

Though I don't expect it, I wouldn't be shocked to see Keita start at center with either Christmas or Grant starting at PF...Keita looked way better than both Christmas and Coleman down the stretch this past season.

Trevor Cooney at SG - beats out Frosh Ron Patterson (maybe not for long, based on last year)

Rakeem Christmas at C, with Coleman off the bench?? Two McDAAs fighting again for a spot. Or do we move Christmas to F and start both of them?

Not at all clear to me.
PG - Ennis - no doubt
SG - Gbinje (whom is a sophmore btw.)
C - Christmas
PF - Fair
SF - Grant

JB does NOT love keeping a starter as a 6th man. It has just happened soem recently because of his being inexplicably tied to Melo as a starter, Coleman as a starter, and Triche as a starter. It is not a long time habit by any stretch of the imagination. Imo Gbinje will beat out Cooney. Christmas will beat out Coleman. Cooney, Coleman, Keita and Roberson will be the bench. Center is really up for grabs and both Coleman and Rak have work to do to earn that spot.

Ennis
Gbinjie
Fair
Christmas
Coleman

EastCoast FTW

starters
Ennis
Cooney
Fair
Roc
DC2

Silent but Deadly and JG battle it out for Sixth Man of the Year award, a la Scoop & Kris in 2010

most minutes (in descending order)
Fair
Ennis
MG
JG
RC
DC
TC
BMK
TR

BJ
RP
CO

Ennis, Cooney, MG - three guard rotation
Fair/JG/TR - three forward rotation
Roc/DC/BMK - three bigs rotation

Ennis
Gbinjie
Fair
Christmas
Coleman

Nah. Are you saying Joseph should have started over either Wes or Jackson? If so you are wrong. Scoop maybe over Triche as a frosh. Fair over Rak? That was less about keepign a "starter" as 6th man as it was a promise to start Rak. Regardless this only goes back to 2009 and prior to that I don't ever really remember SU's 6th man being a near starter. He's done it lately because we got some McD AA's that didn't really live up to their freshman hype and Triche was ordained to start every game of his career.

T
starters
Ennis
Cooney
Fair
Roc
DC2

Silent but Deadly and JG battle it out for Sixth Man of the Year award, a la Scoop & Kris in 2010

most minutes (in descending order)
Fair
Ennis
MG
JG
RC
DC
TC
BMK
TR

BJ
RP
CO

Ennis, Cooney, MG - three guard rotation
Fair/JG/TR - three forward rotation
Roc/DC/BMK - three bigs rotation

This is it.

I still find it humorous that so many people think Cooney will start
I find it amazing that people are so sure MG will start over Cooney when they've never seen him play.

Not at all clear to me.

No chance Grant doesnt start

Ennis
G
CJ
Grant
Coleman

Ennis, Silent G, CJ, and I think Grant are all givens. I think the only toss up is Christmas vs. Coleman.

And yeah, that anyone thinks Cooney will start over Silent G is a little absurd to me. I like Trevor but come on.

Unless Cooney is a lot better than this last season, which would be great, I think that Gbinje is a lock to start. I see basically a 3 man guard rotation with Cooney being the first guard off the bench. I think that Christmas gets the nod at PF but a short leash if he can't provide some consistent offense. Can't wait to see what the freshmen forwards can do but Grant will probably get the lion share of the back up forward minutes.

Ennis
G
Fair
Grant
Rak/Coleman

There is no way that Grant doesn't start. Next most talented player to CJ. Rak has shown no ability to play the 4 spot in his two years. I bet JB is sick and tired of playing with 4 guys vs. 5 on the offensive end. Rak cannot score 3 feet from the basket. Roberson will back up both Fair and Grant. Rak will battle Coleman winner TBD in summer and fall practice who gets to start but both will play. Three-headed center again. That the staff is recruiting Whitehead hard tells you they are not thrilled by what they have at the 2G...but I have to believe that G is a higher level talent than Cooney. I'm not bashing Cooney just feel he will be an off the bench rotation player.

I find it amazing that people are so sure MG will start over Cooney when they've never seen him play.

what I find comical is those who say Cooney was terrible, no way he can start next year. . . but he would be an excellent 6th man

I pick Cooney in a narrow nod over MG because I think the latter will be better used off the bench because he can play both guard spots. I also happen to think that overall Cooney played pretty well last year, especially at the defensive end. With two full years in the system, he is by far the most experienced guard on the team. There is no way to overlook how disappointing his shooting was, and there are those who can't forget or forgive his season-ending play. Maybe in the end he doesn't get the nod, but it is far from the foregone conclusion that many MG backers claim it to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom