Starting to see why the staff why staff may have went with | Syracusefan.com

Starting to see why the staff why staff may have went with

IthacaBarrel

Shaky Potatoes
Allen to start season. We can at least see why it was close. Like what Hunt brings with his feet but he isn't great throwing anything to the sideline or really down the field , still like him starting as I think we need him running the ball but he clearly isn't the 2nd coming of even Marvin Graves or Robin Anderson for that matter. ( always loved the fact that P called him Robin and not RJ)

Hunt reminds me of Daryl Kennedy. Who I thought should have won the heisman

he is being given much easier throws than allen and still having issues. he is missing wide open guys and making bad decisions.. we are 3-3 with a pace for like 1.2 million INTs thrown..

he provides some nice running and that is that enough to keep him on the job?

he is being given much easier throws than allen and still having issues. he is missing wide open guys and making bad decisions.. we are 3-3 with a pace for like 1.2 million INTs thrown..

Allen can't throw the ball over the o-line. When Hunt misses he tends to overthrow. That leads to far less interceptions than tending to underthrow.

Allen had about 15 passes batted right back into his face. How many sacks did Allen take because he didn't have pocket awareness? How many times did Allen throw the ball out of bounds with a guy going up the sidelines? Allen had just as many picks, but didn't give us anything with his feet.

People have short memories

Last edited:
hunt and the WR missed 3-4 passes today because they mis communicated. he under threw or over threw half a dozen balls. if he wasnt running well he never gets on the field

Allen to start season. We can at least see why it was close. Like what Hunt brings with his feet but he isn't great throwing anything to the sideline or really down the field , still like him starting as I think we need him running the ball but he clearly isn't the 2nd coming of even Marvin Graves or Robin Anderson for that matter. ( always loved the fact that P called him Robin and not RJ)

Hunt reminds me of Daryl Kennedy. Who I thought should have won the heisman

Still too early to make a call on comparisons to Robin J. He was very inconsistent until his senior year. We have a long list of QBs whose senior year was considerably better than their other years. If Hunt stays on that trajectory then he'll be pretty good in a couple of years.

He's still the best option to win today.

I know where you're coming from and I would have went with Allen myself to start the season. But even with today's performance, there's no question that Hunt needs to continue to start and get better. Not only for the continuation of our program and giving him more reps, but that he will keep the drives alive with his feet.

Hunt had about 15 passes batted right back into his face. How many sacks did Allen take because he didn't have pocket awareness? How many times did Allen throw the ball out of bounds with a guy going up the sidelines? Allen had just as many picks, but didn't give us anything with his feet.

People have short memories
Allen ? (had about 15 passes batted right back in his face)

Hunt is our quarterback. That question is pretty settled. He struggled mightily today. Outside of the completion to Broyld i can't think of one good throw over 15 yards, maybe even 10 yards. Whether he can win games with his feet we will see going forward. The jury is still out. I hope he develops enough over the season that he can hit the open routes and occasional long ball. That's all i think he has to do from a passing standpoint. I think even his biggest supporters will admit this guy shouldn't be flingin it around the field and to the deep sidelines. Its up to the coaches to put him in a situation where he can succeed in the passing game. Whether we like it or not its what we're going with and i support the team no matter whose back there.

Having said that, no matter what anyone tells me about today's game you cannot convince me that THunt played even close to good today. In the Win column he was 100% though and that's all that eventually matters at this level.

Perhaps you may want to include the names of the teams here, or rethink your simple comparison. Just a thought.
Okay if Hunt starts the first game, I say we beat PSU, probably lose to NW and then win the next 3 so he would be 4-1. I will take that.

Hunt is our quarterback. That question is pretty settled. He struggled mightily today. Outside of the completion to Broyld i can't think of one good throw over 15 yards, maybe even 10 yards. Whether he can win games with his feet we will see going forward. The jury is still out. I hope he develops enough over the season that he can hit the open routes and occasional long ball. That's all i think he has to do from a passing standpoint. I think even his biggest supporters will admit this guy shouldn't be flingin it around the field and to the deep sidelines. Its up to the coaches to put him in a situation where he can succeed in the passing game. Whether we like it or not its what we're going with and i support the team no matter whose back there.

Having said that, know matter what anyone tells me about today's game you cannot convince me that THunt played even close to good today. In the Win column he was 100% though and that's all that eventually matters at this level.
He's only a sophmore, got to be patient. Was Nassib this good as a sophmore, no but look how he got better as time went on.

He's only a sophmore, got to be patient. Was Nassib this good as a sophmore, no but look how he got better as time went on.
I'm talking about this next week and this season. Bowl eligibility is the prize this season (and hopefully a Bowl win). Today was huge in trying to get there. My point in all of this is that Hunt struggles with his arm mightily at times. That is evident. Needs to get fixed and am hopeful that will happen moving forward. For now, they need to gameplan around what they have and we can't win all of these games moving forward with a non-existent passing game. I hope everyone hits their stride.

Done with this now as i just want to focus on the win. That's what matters most.

I'm talking about this next week and this season. Bowl eligibility is the prize this season (and hopefully a Bowl win). Today was huge in trying to get there. My point in all of this is that Hunt struggles with his arm mightily at times. That is evident. Needs to get fixed and am hopeful that will happen moving forward. For now, they need to gameplan around what they have and we can't win all of these games moving forward with a non-existent passing game. I hope everyone hits their stride.

Done with this now as i just want to focus on the win. That's what matters most.
I agree with you. Also not having the receivers that Nassib did last year as go to guys (Lemon and Sale) hurts Hunt a lot. I think AB is the best right now. Not sure what why West hasn't stepped up. Like a few others have said earlier this week, can the youngsters be any worse than what we have now. I'm really enjoying see the younger secondary come through now too. Really excited to see what happens in the next few years. Think our D is going to be pretty damn good and if we continue to stockpile WR's and OL we'll be okay. Got to get a good FG too.

The staff sees him everyday in practice so I imagine they would call plays he can make..?? However, outside of screens they have him making low percentage throws.. Deep outs and bombs. Are out WRs incapable of running a slant? Is our tight end forbidden from roaming the middle of the field?

The staff was trying to replicate last years team IMO. Allen has similar arm strength and feel as Nassib and that was huge.

The staff sees him everyday in practice so I imagine they would call plays he can make..?? However, outside of screens they have him making low percentage throws.. Deep outs and bombs. Are out WRs incapable of running a slant? Is our tight end forbidden from roaming the middle of the field?
Have to agree.

Okay if Hunt starts the first game, I say we beat PSU, probably lose to NW and then win the next 3 so he would be 4-1. I will take that.

So you are saying you think Hunt beats Clemson if he starts from day one but loses to NW? Can I have some of what you are smoking?

Allen can fling it into a tight window, but has zero pocket awareness. WR play horrible.

Hunt has issues throwing, but has great pocket awareness and needs to be accounted for with the run. WR play horrible.

The wrs are inexplicably bad. The late throw where hunt went back shoulder and west went long was sad. West should never go long...

So you are saying you think Hunt beats Clemson if he starts from day one but loses to NW? Can I have some of what you are smoking?
My bad for the typo - should have said 4-2. Damn Rum and Cokes tonight:cool:

Last edited:
The same PSU that beat Michigan today?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom