Status of Indoor Football Facility | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Status of Indoor Football Facility

Money raised in Miami this past weekend? Go on ...
There was a BOT meeting in Miami. TGD was down there getting some donations. Probably from the university as well as some Individuals

Union Electricians

sopranosconstruction.jpg

Goes without saying it would be a $60 million facility at Rutgers.

Unless the plans have changed, it wasn't supposed to be just an open warehouse. The plan as of 1 year ago was to include training rooms, meeting rooms, player lounge, weight room, class rooms for tutoring...etc.

Now we will have to wait and see if those plans have changed.

Any idea what happens to Manley once this (hopefully) gets built?

My guess is that you can thank Marrone in part for that. Wake up call.

The end of the Pasqualoni era wasn't a wake up call? We went from beating Rutgers by 70, to losing in 1999, 2003, and barely escaping in 2001, 2004. And that doesn't even count the GRob years, when it exploded.

Will there be a museum of waste disposal?
Funny you should say this, in Ithaca they spent over $100,000 to install a visitors catwalk in the new waste facility so we can watch the trucks back in and dump their garbage.

Any idea what happens to Manley once this (hopefully) gets built?

Manley practice facility primarily goes to Lacrosse, but gets shared with other sports.

I think that's right.

But it shouldn't have been needed.

Could also be that we had the wake up call 8 years ago, but what did it matter when the Big East could pay us our conference revenue in coins. I would guess BoTs tend to be more willing to approve $ for projects, when you find yourself in a situation where your annual revenue is being more than quadrupled.

My sky in the pie plan would be to make it wide enough on one side to provide seating for 5-6,000 or two sides each with 2500-3000 seats (whichever is cheaper). It would be useful to use for college/high school lacrosse and football games. My simple calculations woud be approximately 200 people per row using bench seating. You could go up 12-15 rows each side...the first rows would have to be about 6' higher than the field.

Another thought is to build it in such a way that it could easily convert to a softball field.

I also think that Manley needs to be retrofitted again to support track and field...during the next Phase...maybe in about 5 years after the turf starts to age at Manley.

Is this displacing (or replacing) Coyne, the outdoor track, or both?

My guess is that you can thank Marrone in part for that. Wake up call.

Or why they didn't do it for Marrone if that was one of his major sticking points as many have said.

My sky in the pie plan would be to make it wide enough on one side to provide seating for 5-6,000 or two sides with 2500-3000 seats (whichever is cheaper). It would be useful to use for college/high school lacrosse and football games.

Not me, I want this to be 100% SU football. No one else. That's what recruits will want to see.

I hope this also includes the medical/training improvements that Bees has mentioned the need for.

Once the (non ceremonial) shovel hits the ground, about how long would something like this take to finish?

Not me, I want this to be 100% SU football. No one else. That's what recruits will want to see.

I hope this also includes the medical/training improvements that Bees has mentioned the need for.

I disagree...I have no problem the team gets priority...but I think it could become an asset...like I said pie in the sky. The Football Only is cheapest. I agree the team needs the extras (training rooms, pools, etc..) but I hope all university athletes can use the medical facilties.

I would think a relatively easy building modification could allow softball to use it for some games in Feb and March before Spring Training kicks off. Isn't like only 225' down the line?

Edit: Checked...and anywhere from 190 to 225' is the norm...like I said you could build a detent on the side...have retractable bleachers and make this work. Obviously, not exactly the same as playing outdoors but it beats starting out each year on the road for two months. Less time away from school too. I'm sure they could get the best teams of the north to come play in Feburary.

Unless the plans have changed, it wasn't supposed to be just an open warehouse. The plan as of 1 year ago was to include training rooms, meeting rooms, player lounge, weight room, class rooms for tutoring...etc.

Now we will have to wait and see if those plans have changed.

Will we have to give McNabb his money back?

I disagree...I have no problem the team gets priority...but I think it could become an asset...like I said pie in the sky. The Football Only is cheapest. I agree the team needs the extras (training rooms, pools, etc..) but I hope all university athletes can use the medical facilties.

I would think a relatively easy building modification could allow softball to use it for some games in Feb and March before Spring Training kicks off. Isn't like only 225' down the line?

They made do with the Dome last year, which couldn't have been much more than 200' to left field.

Once the (non ceremonial) shovel hits the ground, about how long would something like this take to finish?

I would say between a year abd a half at the earliest, 2 at the latest. It depends on lots of things but since this is all private money and ready to be spent, it could move very quickly.

I would say between a year abd a half at the earliest, 2 at the latest. It depends on lots of things but since this is all private money and ready to be spent, it could move very quickly.
Great point about private money...should happen quickly after City permitting approvals...maybe site prep to start in April. With Destiny nearing completion...many of the workers could move to this...essentially the same thing in building a huge box.

Could also be that we had the wake up call 8 years ago, but what did it matter when the Big East could pay us our conference revenue in coins. I would guess BoTs tend to be more willing to approve $ for projects, when you find yourself in a situation where your annual revenue is being more than quadrupled.

The wake up call being that your alum coach said F'it, I'm out of here.