Status of Indoor Football Facility | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Status of Indoor Football Facility

For recruiting purposes (and especially if construction is already underway), SU needs to have a virtual reality video which walks through what the entire facility would look like.

I'm waiting for the first post here that says, "I will wait until I see what kind of product they put on the field before I part with my hard-earned money."

Any idea what happens to Manley once this (hopefully) gets built?

Probably becomes the indoor practice facility dedicated to soccer and field hockey.

Or why they didn't do it for Marrone if that was one of his major sticking points as many have said.
I think it's pretty obvious, to even the most ardent DM supporters (me included), that he was looking for reasons to justify his pre-existing exit strategy.

I'm happy for DM that he landed one of the 32 most coveted positions in sports... but I hate the way he left. For some reason, he felt compelled to make excuses and assign blame. Maybe he did this in an attempt to save face (dream job declaration) or simply to ease any guilt he felt. Who knows?

I've come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that DM is an ambitious, calculating self-promoter. It wouldn't surprise me one bit that previous to his leaving, that he may have known the likely outcome of this past weekend's BOT meeting. These things don't happen in a vacuum.

Imo, the SU HC job was nothing more than pre-planned stepping stone for DM.....which is perfectly fine. But...when dealing in the public arena perception IS reality. Unfortunately, for me anyways, the perception is that DM intentionally deceived us.

Or why they didn't do it for Marrone if that was one of his major sticking points as many have said.

If they are ready to announce this publicly then that means the plans have been in the works for quite some time. These things don't just happen over night. I would guess the recent planning and sketches have been occuring for the past year or more. So Marrone would have known full well how close this was to happening.

Any idea if the design will be "The Ice House" that we saw previously? I loved that look.
1334188195-1102-parking-lot-snow-and-night-528x317.jpg

1102-catwalk

The wake up call being that your alum coach said F'it, I'm out of here.

I thought his exit was more complicated than that.

It's also an NFL job.

If I'm SU and lose a coach to the NFL, I don't know how much time I'd sit around thinking "what could we have done differently?". Because there's no answer.

If we weren't moving to the ACC, and Marrone left for the Bills job, is this a topic?

The wake up call being that your alum coach said F'it, I'm out of here.

That made donors wake up and decide to give money to it?

If they are ready to announce this publicly then that means the plans have been in the works for quite some time. These things don't just happen over night. I would guess the recent planning and sketches have been occuring for the past year or more. So Marrone would have known full well how close this was to happening.

Been in the works for quite some time.

For recruiting purposes (and especially if construction is already underway), SU needs to have a virtual reality video which walks through what the entire facility would look like.
Yep. And they should show it on the big screens at the Dome during basketball games with a strong sales pitch for the campaign.

Could also be that we had the wake up call 8 years ago, but what did it matter when the Big East could pay us our conference revenue in coins. I would guess BoTs tend to be more willing to approve $ for projects, when you find yourself in a situation where your annual revenue is being more than quadrupled.

Probably true - the wake up call should have been heard 12 or 13 years ago.

The ACC revenue, which became a reality in the early fall of 2011 - the morning of the USC game - did not seem to move the needle all that much.

Marrone's decision to leave seems to have been the motivating factor.

Probably true - the wake up call should have been heard 12 or 13 years ago.

The ACC revenue, which became a reality in the early fall of 2011 - the morning of the USC game - did not seem to move the needle all that much.

Marrone's decision to leave seems to have been the motivating factor.

Agree that it should have been awhile ago, but I went with 8 years because that's at least when the new regime came in. I don't think the old regime was going to do much about the issue.

As for the ACC part, just makes me wonder if the BoT is playing it safe, waiting until it was closer to the money coming in the door. And that's where Marrone's tipping point came in. Commit it now instead of waiting until August.

I'd like to be able to thank Marrone even more though, which would be after his considerable donation to the project. If he REALLY wants to be part of the solution, then pony up. Especially after your raise.

how fast it gets built is really a function of how much they want to spend to get it done. the new gates building at cornell was a 2+ yr 60 million project that is now getting done in 18 months with an accelerated building program. a IPF has to be a less complicated building with 90% just air. it could also be done it a way that the practice field could be ready to go much before the extra's . How much extra it costs to get it done quickly would be the question. if we started this spring I would think you have two deadlines. Fall practice 2014 or spring 2015. Its location will help, lots of empty space, easy access and you can do much of the prelim work april-summer. if they are that close to digging then the plans and prep work are long done

FSU spent 13 million and will start Dec and be done by August

ASU spent 25 mill started Oct 1 done by july

if they stick with the current plans as shown Coyne stays correct?

Probably becomes the indoor practice facility dedicated to soccer and field hockey.
That's one of the overlooked things here: building this new facility for football also upgrades the facilities for our other sports which, as you say, can now have Manley serve as their indoor practice facility, which I assume has to be a substantial upgrade, to have the facility completely to themselves.

i really doubt that. the wake up call is that marrone is a lying . it's not like they needed a new practice facility to entice shafer.

Then you would be wrong.

You don't improve the infrastructure to please the coach, you do it in order to be able to compete and recruit players.

how fast it gets built is really a function of how much they want to spend to get it done. the new gates building at cornell was a 2+ yr 60 million project that is now getting done in 18 months with an accelerated building program. a IPF has to be a less complicated building with 90% just air. it could also be done it a way that the practice field could be ready to go much before the extra's . How much extra it costs to get it done quickly would be the question. if we started this spring I would think you have two deadlines. Fall practice 2014 or spring 2015. Its location will help, lots of empty space, easy access and you can do much of the prelim work april-summer. if they are that close to digging then the plans and prep work are long done

They moved a lot of earth to build the Melo Center on the other side of the complex. What you say makes sense, but if they're planning on backing this building up against the hillside to save parking - as they did with the other project - a lot of that hillside is going to need to be removed. Mass earthwork is a slow process.

Not knowing exactly where this building is going, we can't predict. But if it's the same plan as before - sitting where Coyne and the outdoor track are - there's going to be a lot of digging involved.

if they stick with the current plans as shown Coyne stays correct?

Coyne stays.

Any idea if the design will be "The Ice House" that we saw previously? I loved that look.
1334188195-1102-parking-lot-snow-and-night-528x317.jpg

1102-catwalk

Love the look.

I doubt that that is what we will see, but we can hope.

They moved a lot of earth to build the Melo Center on the other side of the complex. What you say makes sense, but if they're planning on backing this building up against the hillside to save parking - as they did with the other project - a lot of that hillside is going to need to be removed. Mass earthwork is a slow process.

Not knowing exactly where this building is going, we can't predict. But if it's the same plan as before - sitting where Coyne and the outdoor track are - there's going to be a lot of digging involved.
How long did the Melo Center take? That could be a frame of reference.

Didn't Gross say two weeks ago the plan was to have Melo Center at one end and indoor football at the other end?

Coyne stays.

So the track disappears?

I'm as excited for the football facility as the next guy, but if Syracuse's newly-successful athletics programs are going to lose both their indoor and outdoor tracks for football facilities, where will they run? Going to ask Nottingham if they'll share?

1334188175-1102-catwalk-1000x423.jpg

Click to expand pics

1334188181-1102-entry-closeup-1000x519.jpg

1334188200-1102-night-with-projection-1000x529.jpg

1334188167-1102-autumn-1000x529.jpg

Originally they were talking about over by the two outdoor practice fields

Click here