Status of Indoor Football Facility | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Status of Indoor Football Facility

when i hear accelerated building schedule i cringe-

being in the trades 30 plus years doing commercial work thats a easy way to say -screw quality - do it wrong just get it done-

So the track disappears?

I'm as excited for the football facility as the next guy, but if Syracuse's newly-successful athletics programs are going to lose both their indoor and outdoor tracks for football facilities, where will they run? Going to ask Nottingham if they'll share?

I thought so but I think they will push toward the hill adjacent to Coyne.

1334188175-1102-catwalk-1000x423.jpg

Click to expand pics

1334188181-1102-entry-closeup-1000x519.jpg

1334188200-1102-night-with-projection-1000x529.jpg

1334188167-1102-autumn-1000x529.jpg

Originally they were talking about over by the two outdoor practice fields

Click here

I get it - so we'd lose a practice field (while gaining an indoor field).

Better from a facilities standpoint, though troublesome as far as aggravating the neighbors on Lancaster, and possibly problematic as far as drainage goes (Meadowbrook runs right under that part of the property).

Edit: I see the site plan now (your last link). It's sandwiched in between Coyne and the existing fields.

From an overall athletics standpoint, weird. Our running facilities have long been subpar, but there's a huge gap between subpar and nonexistent.

Crazy to think that an ACC school with a recent national champion could field a successful team on a campus that has demolished all three of its tracks. One has to wonder what Chris Fox and company think about all of this...

Is it odd that I'm more curious to hear who this would be named for than when it will get built? Will it be a big donation from someone like DNabb5, and they'll name it for him a la Melo, or will it be named for an historic player like Ernie or Brown?

They moved a lot of earth to build the Melo Center on the other side of the complex. What you say makes sense, but if they're planning on backing this building up against the hillside to save parking - as they did with the other project - a lot of that hillside is going to need to be removed. Mass earthwork is a slow process.

Not knowing exactly where this building is going, we can't predict. But if it's the same plan as before - sitting where Coyne and the outdoor track are - there's going to be a lot of digging involved.

The architectural plans say it will be between Coyne and the outdoor football fields. So no earth moving necessary. You don't disrupt the parking situation that way too. But the original plans also only have a men's and women's locker room and no medical facilities, etc. like some people have claimed will be part of this project, so who knows?

http://www.archdaily.com/225348/syr...itecture/1102-aiany-awards-submission-indd-6/

Here's an aerial view of the Lampe Athletics Complex. It would be the field behind Coyne, which is the one closest to Manley, and before the two football fields.

lampe_1.jpg

The architectural plans say it will be between Coyne and the outdoor football fields. So no earth moving necessary. You don't disrupt the parking situation that way too. But the original plans also only have a men's and women's locker room and no medical facilities, etc. like some people have claimed will be part of this project, so who knows?

http://www.archdaily.com/225348/syr...itecture/1102-aiany-awards-submission-indd-6/

Here's an aerial view of the Lampe Athletics Complex. It would be the field behind Coyne, which is the one closest to Manley, and before the two football fields.

lampe_1.jpg

Yep, thanks - it fits well; as you said, no need to dig.

The track situation is perplexing. They also haven't used the space very well - I would move the soccer stadium and construct the football building right at the intersection, rotated 90 degrees from how it will be oriented. That sunken area at the corner is under-used.

For recruiting purposes (and especially if construction is already underway), SU needs to have a virtual reality video which walks through what the entire facility would look like.
Any Architect worth anything will be able to do that, so I'm sure we will see one soon when they announce.

Is Bernheimer Architecture still invoved?
Their name brings back bad memories of the basketball season past.

They had a Request for Proposals back when these renderings first surfaced. I would imagine they are still on board.

I thought the trustee's voted to provide money as well.

A couple people here can correct me if I am wrong, but the BOT has been supportive of this for awhile. They have to vote to move forward on it but do not vote on it until there is enough "seed" money to make it viable at which time they approve the ground breaking and the announcement of a major campaign. They do not pay for it themselves as the school although some trustees may be donors themselves. It's not as simple as saying we have more $$$ coming in from the ACC because that $$$ is not in our hands yet. It would be a risk, even if low, to bank on that money. What happens if a few schools do leave for the SEC or B10? Will that change the landscape enough that future ACC monies won't be what people "project" right now.

Basically I can see the AD going to the BOT with a business plan. We have $X now and will still need $Y but here are our plans for raising that $Y and here are the benefits for moving forth with this project now, etc. If the money for Y isn't raised, or enough of it, then that is where the school has to evaluate their risk because other monies will be needed to complete the project.

TGD has been at work it seems both getting that seed money and making his business plan. It was never that the BOT did not want an IPF because they were anti football. When it comes to facilities, schools aren't in the business of paying for them. It's always the state, local govt, donation campaigns, or single big donors.

A couple people here can correct me if I am wrong, but the BOT has been supportive of this for awhile. They have to vote to move forward on it but do not vote on it until there is enough "seed" money to make it viable at which time they approve the ground breaking and the announcement of a major campaign. They do not pay for it themselves as the school although some trustees may be donors themselves. It's not as simple as saying we have more $$$ coming in from the ACC because that $$$ is not in our hands yet. It would be a risk, even if low, to bank on that money. What happens if a few schools do leave for the SEC or B10? Will that change the landscape enough that future ACC monies won't be what people "project" right now.

Basically I can see the AD going to the BOT with a business plan. We have $X now and will still need $Y but here are our plans for raising that $Y and here are the benefits for moving forth with this project now, etc. If the money for Y isn't raised, or enough of it, then that is where the school has to evaluate their risk because other monies will be needed to complete the project.

TGD has been at work it seems both getting that seed money and making his business plan. It was never that the BOT did not want an IPF because they were anti football. When it comes to facilities, schools aren't in the business of paying for them. It's always the state, local govt, donation campaigns, or single big donors.

I was just going off of what DC posted.

Something changed.

$30 mil is some serious coin, would be pleasantly surprised if that is the actual budget, I was thinking more like 16-17 would be more in line and probably sufficent, rather use 25 mil and redo the dome locker rooms with the other 5 mil. Again I would be surprised if it is that high... Again, I have no idea but that just seems a bit high because they built ona nice piece of peroperty as well...

Again, 4 preferred A season tix with a football only orange club donation somewhere above middle of the road and never received one phone call on it.. strange

$30 mil is some serious coin, would be pleasantly surprised if that is the actual budget, I was thinking more like 16-17 would be more in line and probably sufficent, rather use 25 mil and redo the dome locker rooms with the other 5 mil. Again I would be surprised if it is that high... Again, I have no idea but that just seems a bit high because they built ona nice piece of peroperty as well...

Barrel - how long once construction starts?

Again, 4 preferred A season tix with a football only orange club donation somewhere above middle of the road and never received one phone call on it.. strange

You probably didn't get a phone call because the campaign hasn't started yet unless you think you could have been part of the seed money.

Of course once the bottoms up campaign starts, you probably wont get a call then either

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

If they invest all the money into the Manley upgrades for locker/weight rooms, why would they not have the IPF connected to Manley? Unless they make a long connecting hallway/entrance way for Coyne (which would be awesome for that field).

If they invest all the money into the Manley upgrades for locker/weight rooms, why would they not have the IPF connected to Manley? Unless they make a long connecting hallway/entrance way for Coyne (which would be awesome for that field).

I've wondered this, too. Seems that things would be more efficient if there were a campus-wide comprehensive plan.

$30 million could probably buy more than an IPF and a hallway to Manley I am guessing. Maybe the plans are bigger than just an IPF.

They need to integrate a weight room, player lounge, trainer facilities, cafeteria/sports nutrition into it.

You probably didn't get a phone call because the campaign hasn't started yet unless you think you could have been part of the seed money.

Of course once the bottoms up campaign starts, you probably wont get a call then either

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Very true... It just seems like this fundraising has been going on for years how many bigbfish could they be working

Barrel - how long once construction starts?

Depends on design obviously... 8-12 months, no way they spend 30 mil on an indoor practice facility, I would be shocked if they spend 1/2 that.

Not that I'm a track supporter, but where will that team practice now? Any plans for a new track elsewhere? Where do they practice during the winter?

Very true... It just seems like this fundraising has been going on for years how many bigbfish could they be working

No idea, just passing on what I've heard, but do know there was a donation of about $500K from one individual at least back in summer of 2011.

The typical duration is 12 months, with some trying to get it done in 9 (e.g. GA Tech and FSU... in warmer climates). Add in potential Syracuse weather issues and work to allow the track team to train on campus, it's going to be tough to make it in time for Spring 2014, even if ground breaking were tomorrow (which may not even be possible due to weather). Methinks fall of 2014 would be the earliest.

I also agree with Barrel on the cost front. It's likely going to fall in between the GA Tech ($7-9M) and FSU ($15M) figures. I've been outside the GA Tech facility... functional but not aesthetically pleasing. That facility is only 65ft high in the middle of the field... is that high enough to support punts? My guess: budgeted for $13.5M... but will actually cost closer to $15M.

Need to have donation requests/material out there for football renewal time, Spring game, and at hoops games ASAP. Ask people for a one-time gift per season ticket ($44, $88, , $100, $132, etc...) to support the effort. 20k @ $44/seat would yield close to $900k. I know some here already have, and not all of them are season ticket holders.

<frustration>
You'd think they'd have someone develop a proper project donation website template. Add some text, a few pictures (or videos) and a separate SUAD $ bucket and you're done. Generate a mailer insert with some info 7 link to the webpage and a tear off donor card.
</frustration>