Stealth No More: ACC Out of the Closet... | Syracusefan.com

Stealth No More: ACC Out of the Closet...

arbitragegls

All Conference
While we are in our stupor of Jack & Coke DREAMS flash before my eyes: "read between the lines" comments have become a harbinger of the future. Whispers are getting louder! The "read between the lines" are acutally getting morphed by capitalization and punctuation marks. The ACC is no longer being that quiet southern gentleman or that proper but inviting librarian.

Rather, the ACC has put it all out on the line...

1. An ACC Network will happen and it will be available by late "15 or '16
--interestingly, bball-lax-baseball will be a primary reason for the ACC Network to be delivered
--the Network will follow the design of the SEC--perhaps even piggy-backing with the SEC (not determined finally--providing both conferences a broader distribution than its own footprint)

2. ACC tournament bball will see the flash bulbs of NYC...within the next three years
--venues determining how to become available, and the ACC looking at tournament scheduling
--A 10 and Big EAST already been approached by venues
-- ACC considering if all or ONLY final two days of BBall tournament to be played in NYC

3. TV contracts among the POWER 5 will be relatively the same...project each conference to be rolling in $30,000,000 per school (+-10%)
--The ACC will not be the Power 5 conference with least $$$ coming in

More of this is available on our stealth side...the pay side...that only a few have access--you know who you are...don't you.

We have labeled Swofford the Ninja..the quiet man that gets things done without shouting and letting it out of the bag prior to happening...
...do you recall 'Cuse/Pitt to ACC...Notre Dame to ACC--well for 5 football games scheduled by the ACC..and of course
...the GOR...
Did you see it in print prior to it happening...was all this UNEXPECTED?

Now the Ninja has gathered his minions...become stronger...and the ACC is prognosticating through interviews, press releases, and actions...that all is well...the Network is around the corner...the bball tournament will bounce the floor in NYC...and the pay day is coming...all really soon!

Discuss...have fun...and remember:
It's Good to be Cuse!

Interesting concept with the BB Tourney. I am guessing that the elimination rounds would be played in GSO to keep those folks happy? Scheduling would be interesting as the ACC always played the final game on Sunday.

If GSO/MSG is an option...I wonder if they would play over two weekends? Not a fan of this. I'd rather just do 2 on/2 off between GSO and MSG. Ofcourse really like 4 on/0 off at MSG only. :)

I see the split between Gboro and NYC being complicated for the fans, if all games are in the same week. People book way in advance for NYC. What if your team doesn't make it out of the "regional"? That could suck and result in less fans at the games. The beauty of all games in NYC is that people are already there and will go to games or barter away their tickets to others.

I do like the idea of $30 mil per school, however. They might even subsidize the Fine Mess tailgates. ;)

Very interesting about B-Ball tournament. I can see that being a compromise for the NC holdouts.

Does anyone recall until what date the BB tourneys are contracted to play in GSO. Arb said within the next 3 years BB possible in NYC. I thought it was tied up longer in NC. Reason for splitting of tourney?

I don't think a split tourney is a good idea. Too much logistics and too many question marks. How many fans would hold off getting tix because they weren't sure their team would get to the semis in NY. How many fans would go to both halves if the tourney? What happens if there's an act of God in the form of snowstorms, a tornado or whatever. Having to travel up to NC on short notice puts all that in play.

A split tourney just seems like a bad idea bred from minor compromises. If they don't want to give up NC, fine, just rotate the tourney back and forth each year. Getting too many locations involved just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Or they can wise up and realize NYC and MSG is where they need to play it. Nothing better than a tourney in the Mecca.

Greensboro has the next 2 acc tournaments but nothing has been finalized after that from 2016 forward. splitting the tournament up would probably require them to play the opening rounds the weekend before and getting the bigeast or a10 adjust the dates of there tournament (probably $$ required to make it happen)

I don't think a split tourney is a good idea. Too much logistics and too many question marks. How many fans would hold off getting tix because they weren't sure their team would get to the semis in NY. How many fans would go to both halves if the tourney? What happens if there's an act of God in the form of snowstorms, a tornado or whatever. Having to travel up to NC on short notice puts all that in play.

A split tourney just seems like a bad idea bred from minor compromises. If they don't want to give up NC, fine, just rotate the tourney back and forth each year. Getting too many locations involved just seems like a disaster waiting to happen. Or they can wise up and realize NYC and MSG is where they need to play it. Nothing better than a tourney in the Mecca.

it isn't about wising up msg has to come to them and break/adjust there contract with the bigeast

Very interesting about B-Ball tournament. I can see that being a compromise for the NC holdouts.
And it could backfire badly for NYC and the NC fans know this. The GSO games would still be well attended...but MSG games will be a real crap-shoot.

Interesting concept with the BB Tourney. I am guessing that the elimination rounds would be played in GSO to keep those folks happy? Scheduling would be interesting as the ACC always played the final game on Sunday.

I don't see a split tournament working at all. Its either all in Greensboro, or, all at MSG.

While I am for sure an ACC traditionalist, wanting the ACCT to still be held in venues where we've held it before...Greensboro, Charlotte, and, Atlanta...I know this is not the ACC I grew up watching.

So, the league has to do whats best for ALL members. If that means moving it to MSG on a permanent basis, so be it. We will deal with it.

For clarification, arbit, the ACCT in NYC within the next 3 years?

If this move happens within the existing ACCT contract, than a split between Greens and NYC sounds like a great compromise. However, the end goal ultimately needs to be NYC.

More good news. The ACC hoops Tourney in NYC at MSG would be gigantic! After a few short years in NYC, most ACC traditionalists would forget that their tourney was ever held in ... where was it?

Once the old line ACC members see the unbelievable gobs of money to be made by having the tourney in Manhattan, they'll change their tunes and become the most wealthy and content reverse carpet baggers on the planet.

While we are in our stupor of Jack & Coke DREAMS flash before my eyes: "read between the lines" comments have become a harbinger of the future. Whispers are getting louder! The "read between the lines" are acutally getting morphed by capitalization and punctuation marks. The ACC is no longer being that quiet southern gentleman or that proper but inviting librarian.

Rather, the ACC has put it all out on the line...

1. An ACC Network will happen and it will be available by late "15 or '16
--interestingly, bball-lax-baseball will be a primary reason for the ACC Network to be delivered
--the Network will follow the design of the SEC--perhaps even piggy-backing with the SEC (not determined finally--providing both conferences a broader distribution than its own footprint)

2. ACC tournament bball will see the flash bulbs of NYC...within the next three years
--venues determining how to become available, and the ACC looking at tournament scheduling
--A 10 and Big EAST already been approached by venues
-- ACC considering if all or ONLY final two days of BBall tournament to be played in NYC

3. TV contracts among the POWER 5 will be relatively the same...project each conference to be rolling in $30,000,000 per school (+-10%)
--The ACC will not be the Power 5 conference with least $$$ coming in

More of this is available on our stealth side...the pay side...that only a few have access--you know who you are...don't you.

We have labeled Swofford the Ninja..the quiet man that gets things done without shouting and letting it out of the bag prior to happening...
...do you recall 'Cuse/Pitt to ACC...Notre Dame to ACC--well for 5 football games scheduled by the ACC..and of course
...the GOR...
Did you see it in print prior to it happening...was all this UNEXPECTED?

Now the Ninja has gathered his minions...become stronger...and the ACC is prognosticating through interviews, press releases, and actions...that all is well...the Network is around the corner...the bball tournament will bounce the floor in NYC...and the pay day is coming...all really soon!

Discuss...have fun...and remember:
It's Good to be Cuse!

When are we going to see announcements of some of this? It sounds like the ACC basketball part still will take some time for the venues to address their current contracts with the Big East and A10.

You've been predicting the ACC Network for some time now, so that one won't be much of a surprise. And I like the TV money part very much.

Also with Basketball-Lax-Baseball featured on the Channel, I would hope some more ACC schools add Lacrosse, and that Syracuse seriously consider adding baseball. Also, the network will need some content in the fall. So I imagine Soccer and Field Hockey will get some airtime along with Volleyball?

Thanks for the update Arb!! If there is going to be a split site tourney, I have an acceptable model for fans and MSG.

Teams 6-15 play on a Tuesday in Greensboro (6/15, 7/14, 8/11, 9/10). Play quarters, semis, and finals at MSG starting Thursday. This gives top teams with a bye a real advantage unlike prior BE tourneys. The big time hoop schools will play in NYC and their fans will buy the tickets. The quarterfinals are a great day for hoop fans and for TV watchers. ACC misses a big opportunity if it plays quarters in Greensboro.

Thanks for the update Arb!! If there is going to be a split site tourney, I have an acceptable model for fans and MSG.

Teams 6-15 play on a Tuesday in Greensboro (6/15, 7/14, 8/11, 9/10). Play quarters, semis, and finals at MSG starting Thursday. This gives top teams with a bye a real advantage unlike prior BE tourneys. The big time hoop schools will play in NYC and their fans will buy the tickets. The quarterfinals are a great day for hoop fans and for TV watchers. ACC misses a big opportunity if it plays quarters in Greensboro.

I like the out of box thinking here but something's out of whack in terms of the Greensboro games. What happened to the the 12 and 13 teams? Then you'd have 5 winners in the first round and 5 waiting in New York. So it technically isn't quarter-finals. Needs some more thought, but interesting concept.

Cheers,
Neil

Doesn't add up.

You have 5 byes plus 5 winners advancing. That's 10 teams. Need to get down to 8.

If you only want to bring 8 teams to NYC, you have to eliminate 7 teams before then.

That means 7 games in Greensboro.

Tues in NC:
10 vs 15
11 vs 14
12 vs 13.

Wed in NC:
5 vs (12/13)
6 vs (11/14)
7 vs (10/15)
8 vs 9.

Fri in NYC:
1 vs (8/9)
2 vs (7/10/15)
3 vs (6/11/14)
4 vs (5/12/13)

Sat in NYC:
Semifinals

Sun in NYC:
Finals.

I don't see a split tournament working at all. Its either all in Greensboro, or, all at MSG.

While I am for sure an ACC traditionalist, wanting the ACCT to still be held in venues where we've held it before...Greensboro, Charlotte, and, Atlanta...I know this is not the ACC I grew up watching.

So, the league has to do whats best for ALL members. If that means moving it to MSG on a permanent basis, so be it. We will deal with it.

I think Swofford is going to steer the ship in that direction. I know he has stated that it's up to the presidents of the universities to decide, but I have to think that only goes so far. My guess is that he proposes two business plans to the member schools with full pro and con analysis and it will come down to two things: $$$ and keeping the BiG out of NYC. This is still a chess match, and tradition will take a back seat to conference stability and the almighty dollar.

I would wager that the ACC Tourney will be in MSG by 2016, and the decision will be unanimous.

I think Swofford is going to steer the ship in that direction. I know he has stated that it's up to the presidents of the universities to decide, but I have to think that only goes so far. My guess is that he proposes two business plans to the member schools with full pro and con analysis and it will come down to two things: $$$ and keeping the BiG out of NYC. This is still a chess match, and tradition will take a back seat to conference stability and the almighty dollar.

I would wager that the ACC Tourney will be in MSG by 2016, and the decision will be unanimous.

It's pretty obvious that something's up when you send all the ACC mascots cruising down the Hudson River and spending all day running around Manhattan with their photos flashing in Times Square that more is up than a bowl game and the new members. The ACC wants a New York presence, and New Yorkers care more about college basketball than they do college football.

Glad you're on our board, what all of the fans of the conference, not just in North Carolina need to realize is, the conference just added Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, Partial Notre Dame. Its not enough just to survive as one of the 5, but we must shoot to be the best in everything Football, Basketball, Baseball, Lacrosse, Golf etc. The goal has to be when fans of any college sport think of their sport, they need to think ACC. That takes care of the dollars, and the future stability, not holding onto the past, but the [ Glorious Future Of The ACC ]. Turning 67 in a week makes me look at the future as bright, the past is there in the record books, the future has a brand new canvas to create a better picture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom