Class of 2014 - Steve Ishmael, WR (N. Miami Beach) | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Steve Ishmael, WR (N. Miami Beach)

If you think he's going to be Kelvin Benjamin you're wrong. He'll be a quality addition but nothing of that caliber. He's a TE.

Obviously he isn't Benjamin, but he sure has heck could still be a gigantic target outside who can learn to use his body to outmuscle defenders for the jump ball from time to time.

Libero2 said:
Obviously he isn't Benjamin, but he sure has heck could still be a gigantic target outside who can learn to use his body to outmuscle defenders for the jump ball from time to time.

The Patriots used to have all kinds of sets where a big fast TE is matched up against a LB in the end zone somehow. Eagles use Celek the same way. A true game changer at the position should open up the options. Hopefully a wide open Ishmeal ;).

Saints call Jimmy Graham a TE but he lines up over 50% of the time in a wide receiver position. I wouldn't really worry about putting the WR/TE label on him, because so many big guys are now more hybrids between WR/TE. Calling someone in the NFL a tight end these days has more to do with their size relative to WR's than how they play the game

John Mackey was the first new breed of tight end, and then when the NFL went to a lot of great runners, the tight end became a blocker. Now everyone has gone back to the wide open passing game, and tight ends once again need to be like wide receivers.

I don't trust any reported 40 times on the sites because they are faster than the fastest pros at the combine.

We recruited Custis as an Aaron Hernandez (for lack of better comparison) type TE, same with Enoicy/Batten

If they recruited him as a TE, They better let him know. Custis told Dan Tortora that he is a "WR".

1. 8:50 PM - 28 Jan 2014 · Details
    " data-mentions="JamalCustis6 CallDT" data-you-follow="true" data-you-block="false">
    Dan Tortora ‏@CallDT 18h
    "@JamalCustis6: @CallDT WR" WR about show what he is made of on the college football field

Expand

1. 8:42 PM - 28 Jan 2014 · Details
      " data-mentions="JamalCustis6" data-you-follow="true" data-you-block="false">

Dan Tortora ‏@CallDT 18h
      #Cuse 2014 verbal commit TE Jamal Custis "@JamalCustis6: Imma be up Syracuse this weekend #wassup lol" #CuseNation #OrangeNation

Collapse

8:42 PM - 28 Jan 2014 · Details

Well *when* he picks Syracuse I hope he opens with 'Call me Orange'. OK maybe he hasn't read Moby Dick yet. ;)
Probably a generation gap here, but

Come on Steve! We need you here at Cuse! Come play early and make a visible impact in preparation for the NFL. Go Cuse!!!

Hey OE, is there an article about that Lville visit? I think were still in really good shape here but I cant shake that concern about something going down late we wont like. Fingers crossed!

Lets hope he is still solid cuse, hate losing recruits to Louisville

Louisville visit was great, promises of early PT are swimming in his head

Steve Ishmael, Syracuse football's top target still on the recruiting board, is guided by quiet confidence
What do you expect Horseyville to say? They've l0st a dynamic HC and replaced him with a proven sleezeball that lies. UL verbals
have been flipping left and right (why, could it be lack of confidence in Petrino, who is no Charlie Strong), and they're desperate to save their recruiting class. Of course they're going to promise immediate PT, they are desperate. Lamar Thomas is just an extension of Petrino, doing what he's told to do, at any cost. I think we have a few things going for us in the final analysis, like McD, Eduard, program integrity, a positive roadmap of the future, and a long, long track record of love and affection that's been shown to this kid. Is he promised early PT here? Maybe, maybe not. But I guarantee he's been told he must earn it. With his pedigree and our needs, he should be well aware he'll earn early PT here, as well.

Hey OE, is there an article about that Lville visit? I think were still in really good shape here but I cant shake that concern about something going down late we wont like. Fingers crossed!
No way, not you! ;-)

No way, not you! ;-)

LOL, still think were the team to beat just a little bit tighter down the stretch then I had hoped. Kid is such a player would hate to lose him.

LOL, still think were the team to beat just a little bit tighter down the stretch then I had hoped. Kid is such a player would hate to lose him.
I completely understand where you're coming from.

After decades of following SU Football, it's easy to develop a "hope for the best, expect the worse" mentality.

I think we have a few things going for us in the final analysis, like McD, Eduard, program integrity, a positive roadmap of the future, and a long, long track record of love and affection that's been shown to this kid. .

14205398-large.jpg

And there's this too: "In Spanish class, Ishmael works diligently, and his teacher praises him for being respectful, never talking back when asked to removed his Syracuse hat."

Hopefully on D day he puts another one on his head. Hope he's feeling the love from Syracusefan.com

From his HS coach Jeff Bertani (McDonald's good buddy) in that OE article:

"It bothers me that Steve isn't No. 1 or No. 2 (in Florida). That stuff pisses me off," Bertani said. "I think Steve is as good as there is. It's all because he didn't go to any camps, he didn't go to any combines. If he went to those, he's a five-star kid. I actually take it a little more personally that Steve does."

:)

I take it as a good sign that the Louisville 247 writer changed his crystal ball to Syracuse after Ishmael's visit yesterday. I have a feeling we are fine. But of course, you never do know in recruiting. nothing should or could shock me.

We are family to Steve and we need him as much if not more than LV. His father figure is Mac and he is our OC. I would be shocked if he didnt pick orange

We are family to Steve and we need him as much if not more than LV. His father figure is Mac and he is our OC. I would be shocked if he didnt pick orange

Amen thats what we like to hear.

I completely understand where you're coming from.

After decades of following SU Football, it's easy to develop a "hope for the best, expect the worse" mentality.

That mentality unfortunately has been correct more times then not but the last few years with Marrone and Coach Schafer were starting to see Syracuse making that slow trudge back to where we all want it to be. Landing a great player like Steve will keep us on that path.

He may go elsewhere, but I look at this like last week when everyone thought Adly wasn't coming to visit, George went down to Florida, visit was on, and we got the commitment.

From his HS coach Jeff Bertani (McDonald's good buddy) in that OE article:

"It bothers me that Steve isn't No. 1 or No. 2 (in Florida). That stuff pisses me off," Bertani said. "I think Steve is as good as there is. It's all because he didn't go to any camps, he didn't go to any combines. If he went to those, he's a five-star kid. I actually take it a little more personally that Steve does."

:)
Hmmmm, I think this quote pretty much blows-up any of the excuse making for the scouting services! They all have agendas based on any number of factors i.e. subscription numbers, school affiliation etc.

I remember reading a while back that one of the most important factors in his decision will be trust in the staff. Hopefully he understands what a scum bag Petrino is and that his own wife doesn't even trust him.