Student Situation for Saturday | Syracusefan.com

Student Situation for Saturday

TrickySU

Walk On
The SU students are starting off the year right and are doing their part. At 7:00 this morning, over 300 students lined up to get their bus and ticket vouchers. The first students camped out at Gate B starting at 1:30 in the morning and many others showed up between 4:30 and 5:30a.m. to make sure they could get a spot on one of the buses.

Unfortunately for some of those students, there was only room on the buses for 200 students. It's too bad because now there's students without a ride, although I did hear many students say they were driving themselves down and a lot of students with cars have already offered to take other students who want to go.

Glad to say I was there early enough to get a spot on one of the buses. One of the Carrier Dome employees mentioned that they thought this was the biggest student turnout ever to get bus and ticket vouchers for an event like this. Hopefully a good sign for student attendance at games this year.

The SU students are starting off the year right and are doing their part. At 7:00 this morning, over 300 students lined up to get their bus and ticket vouchers. The first students camped out at Gate B starting at 1:30 in the morning and many others showed up between 4:30 and 5:30a.m. to make sure they could get a spot on one of the buses.

Unfortunately for some of those students, there was only room on the buses for 200 students. It's too bad because now there's students without a ride, although I did hear many students say they were driving themselves down and a lot of students with cars have already offered to take other students who want to go.

good lord - get a couple more buses and take as many students as want to go down - build the frikkin student fan base :mad:

i guess i should have saved that for the thread about how NON-local SU students dont show up to football games.

When I was in Atlanta for the Final Four I met a lot of students, and if I remember correctly they had busses and then they were cancelled or it was decided not to provide them. The school needs to get the students to these events. I am sure there was a fee to ride the bus that covers the cost of the bus, or most of it. This needs to be addressed. If there are more students and enough to fill another buss, they should get another bus. This is how you build your fan base, build your loyalty, etc. Sort of like the concept of Gen Orange for fundraising. Get them to the games, and they will be loyal and donate for years, both to the athletic dept and the school. How can they not see the importance of this????

I think they understand the importance of it. Unfortunately the piss poor attendance by the students for over 15 years now has led them to not expect much to change. Im sure if students start showing up at THE DOME for games maybe they will start having more buses for them for road trips.

Call Caz Limo, tell them you want the drive Jake "the snake", he always drove us on our training trips down south, good guy.

If they don't try to book another bus, chalk this up as yet another miss by the SUAD. I noticed DG was in Montreal last week-would have been nice if he was at the Dome with Shafer to address the new students and make a push to get them out to support all of the SU teams.

We're only sending 200 kids to the game by bus? Am I the only one who thinks that # is a just a tad low?

I'm guessing Penn State will offer a bus ride for slightly more than that. But I'm not going to their board to find out because that school creeps me out.

SU should have a minimum of 500 students at the game. That's about 10 buses. Get it done.

Great part of the trip down last year was seeing the Buses, but I must have passed them all, because it hardly put a dent in the stadium.

I-80 is going to be bumper to bumper from nowheresville to E. Rutherford.

Just heard from a friend whose son was shut out of the bus trip. He wants to go but has no transportation.

Great show of spirit by those 300 students.

Not that those predisposed to dislike students will acknowledge that.

If the SU turnout is disappointing its entirely on metro area alums. I suspect it will be.

It is my understanding that Otto's Army arranged for the buses. I could be wrong, but I don't think it was necessarily the University, although I'm sure Otto's Army had to go through the University first. It's still unfortunate they couldn't get more buses though.

Couldn't they have had the students sign up first to determine how many busses they'd need?

Just heard from a friend whose son was shut out of the bus trip. He wants to go but has no transportation.

I would tell him to try and find another student who is driving down. A few have posted on twitter saying they have room and are willing to take other students. It's worth a shot.

This is disappointing for the athletics department. I gotta hope that someone in the athletic dept can organize transportation down to the game for anyone who wants to go.