Stuff | Syracusefan.com

Stuff

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Right now Terrell Hunt is looking like the best of the three QB's vying for the position. The worrisome thing, and it's two-fold, are that one, his passes aren't very accurate. And two is how much time, or should I say, how little time he spends working on his craft.

Mr. Hunt needs to become a football field rat. Use the indoor facility to craft his position, spend extra time either before or after practice and throw, throw, throw. One hundred extra throws, two hundred if need be but work harder to be the best.

Even when the team isn't practicing he needs to get together with his WR's, TE's & RB's and get more used to each other.

There will be plenty of time between now & the opening kickoff in the fall for the light to go on. The opportunity is there for him, now he needs to go after it harder.

Happy to say the running back situation just keeps on getting better with the emergence of GMIII. Holy cow, do we ever have a lot of different running styles for different situations.

Other bright spots are the defense, that unit can really bring it and the coaching staff, it's an upgrade everywhere you look. These guys know how to coach, motivate, recruit and work together for the common good. HCSS is a breath of fresh air to everyone associated with the program.

I guess the light doesn't turn on for some guys. Even after 2 years.
That makes things for Loeb sound even worse. Bring on the transfer!

Sorry to beat a dead horse, of sorts, but it continues to astound me how poorly this program has developed QBs in the last 10+ years. Outside of Nassib, who became pretty damn good, it's been one whiff after another.

Here's hoping someone on campus or soon-to-arrive steps up to the plate.

Hopefully, that new transfer gives him a kick in the rear. QB, OL, and DE will determine how good we can be this year.

Maybe that confirms some of the rumors about Drew Allen?

Greg Paulus still available?

FYI - McDonald tweeted this a couple weeks ago about Hunt: "S/O to T.Hunt 1st time I have ever been beaten to the office by a player. #hungry4success"

This doesn't sound like a kid who's light is still in the off position...

Right now Terrell Hunt is looking like the best of the three QB's vying for the position. The worrisome thing, and it's two-fold, are that one, his passes aren't very accurate. And two is how much time, or should I say, how little time he spends working on his craft.

Mr. Hunt needs to become a football field rat. Use the indoor facility to craft his position, spend extra time either before or after practice and throw, throw, throw. One hundred extra throws, two hundred if need be but work harder to be the best.

Even when the team isn't practicing he needs to get together with his WR's, TE's & RB's and get more used to each other.

There will be plenty of time between now & the opening kickoff in the fall for the light to go on. The opportunity is there for him, now he needs to go after it harder.

Happy to say the running back situation just keeps on getting better with the emergence of GMIII. Holy cow, do we ever have a lot of different running styles for different situations.

Other bright spots are the defense, that unit can really bring it and the coaching staff, it's an upgrade everywhere you look. These guys know how to coach, motivate, recruit and work together for the common good. HCSS is a breath of fresh air to everyone associated with the program.

Good post. As some of you might already know, I love SU BBall, but SU Football keeps my clock ticking. Cannot wait for Penn State. I'll add a few things:

Last year in camp, GMIII had an instant impact. With Rome, PTG, AB & AAM in front of him, Doug redshirted him even though he didn't really want to. The kid would've played. Good news in 2013 is: we've never had such a deep, talented stable of RB's. Clear strength of the O this year. Coach McDonald is very pleased with what he's inheriting there.

As for Hunt, I'm more concerned than anything with what you mentioned above. There is certain lack of "spark" to want to be great. The kid has the body to be a great QB. He has a strong arm. He lacks accuracy, which of all of the things, can be improved upon with good coaching and consistent practice. This is critical, and if you ask me, is the difference between him starting or not. If he can find the "spark" to want to be great, we could be onto something.

People have annointed Charley as the starter, but I think it's closer than that. Charley is more mobile than Ryan, but still isn't as mobile as they want. Just take a look at the QB's they've recruited thus far. That will tell you what they're looking for. Let the best man win.

End of the day, this coaching staff that HCSS has put together will be awesome. Most of them have worked together and already know how to mesh, almost naturally. The players and recruits see it and are drawn to it. The fans will see it eventually. I feel we've already made some waves in important recruiting circles.

The fact they hired a full-time recruiting coordinator is awesome. In the modern day, you need 1, if not 2 full-time people keeping track of all things to do with recruiting. Staying in constant contact, setting up trips, monitoring grades, monitoring their personal situations, working on the SU brand, running multiple social media angles, building relationships with their coaches, families, COI's are all things that take ALOT of time and effort.

I hope all that translates to 7-8+ wins in year 1 of the ACC. Time will tell.

I'll take the driven, less talented, slower kid (with an adequate arm) who works his azz off and learns as much as he can about the position over the gifted kid who thinks he can wing it because he's so talented every single time. I'd love for Hunt to win the position (have been rooting for him ever since hearing about his parents) - but if he's not willing to put the work in, then I'd just as soon have Charley or John under center next season assuming they're willing to do what's necessary to be successful.

I have heard almost the exact opposite about Hunt. He's a hard working kid, film rat that just needs the reps. Remember, NYC isn't exactly a hot bed for fb talent, let alone QB's. His football education prior to SU is probably equivalent of a hs freshman in TX or FL. He is going to need a lot of hands on coaching and tutoring to get where he needs to be.

He just hasn't received the coaching that he needs up to this point, and his suspension further compounds the problem. There are only so many full speed reps to go around for the 3rd or 4th string qb when the season starts.

He has the ability, hopefully Lester helps develop it.

I have heard almost the exact opposite about Hunt. He's a hard working kid, film rat that just needs the reps. Remember, NYC isn't exactly a hot bed for fb talent, let alone QB's. His football education prior to SU is probably equivalent of a hs freshman in TX or FL. He is going to need a lot of hands on coaching and tutoring to get where he needs to be.

He just hasn't received the coaching that he needs up to this point, and his suspension further compounds the problem. There are only so many full speed reps to go around for the 3rd or 4th string qb when the season starts.

Do you think the punishment FHCDM leveled to TH fit the crime? I mean a 15 practice suspension would be more equal to an armed robbery than swipping one bottle of $44 cologne! There are things that we don't know about, that go on within the program. Perhaps the colgne caper was the tipping point. As far as being hard working, that's all well and fine but to be the best you need to be more than a hard worker. You must practice away your weaknesses. You have to put in the extra, extra time. That's what I'm talking about. Being around good & great athletes all of my life the difference between the two, in many cases was the work that was produced that went above and beyond the normal hard work.

Are you confusing Kinder & Hunt. There was an article the other day that said Kinder was a film rat.

there's always tradeoffs but there's something to be said for the air raid style of practice for QBs. incredibly fast pace, everyone throwing at the same time. every qb that comes off the bench seems to have no trouble getting acclimated in games. the tradeoff is that your defense never practices against the run or against tight ends (like west virginia against us)

Good post. As some of you might already know, I love SU BBall, but SU Football keeps my clock ticking. Cannot wait for Penn State. I'll add a few things:

Last year in camp, GMIII had an instant impact. With Rome, PTG, AB & AAM in front of him, Doug redshirted him even though he didn't really want to. The kid would've played. Good news in 2013 is: we've never had such a deep, talented stable of RB's. Clear strength of the O this year. Coach McDonald is very pleased with what he's inheriting there.

As for Hunt, I'm more concerned than anything with what you mentioned above. There is certain lack of "spark" to want to be great. The kid has the body to be a great QB. He has a strong arm. He lacks accuracy, which of all of the things, can be improved upon with good coaching and consistent practice. This is critical, and if you ask me, is the difference between him starting or not. If he can find the "spark" to want to be great, we could be onto something.

People have annointed Charley as the starter, but I think it's closer than that. Charley is more mobile than Ryan, but still isn't as mobile as they want. Just take a look at the QB's they've recruited thus far. That will tell you what they're looking for. Let the best man win.

End of the day, this coaching staff that HCSS has put together will be awesome. Most of them have worked together and already know how to mesh, almost naturally. The players and recruits see it and are drawn to it. The fans will see it eventually. I feel we've already made some waves in important recruiting circles.

The fact they hired a full-time recruiting coordinator is awesome. In the modern day, you need 1, if not 2 full-time people keeping track of all things to do with recruiting. Staying in constant contact, setting up trips, monitoring grades, monitoring their personal situations, working on the SU brand, running multiple social media angles, building relationships with their coaches, families, COI's are all things that take ALOT of time and effort.

I hope all that translates to 7-8+ wins in year 1 of the ACC. Time will tell.

Who is the full-time recruiting coordinator?

No excuse for scholarship athlete to give less than 100% effort to improve.

It's there for you TH!

Go get it!

FYI - McDonald tweeted this a couple weeks ago about Hunt: "S/O to T.Hunt 1st time I have ever been beaten to the office by a player. #hungry4success"

This doesn't sound like a kid who's light is still in the off position...

Sorry OrangeMaine. Didn't read the whole thread before I posted the same thing.

Who is the full-time recruiting coordinator?
rp_primary_ericwhiteWEB.jpg

Shafer Hires White to Direct Recruiting*

*From the daily articles

Do you think the punishment FHCDM leveled to TH fit the crime? I mean a 15 practice suspension would be more equal to an armed robbery than swipping one bottle of $44 cologne! There are things that we don't know about, that go on within the program. Perhaps the colgne caper was the tipping point. As far as being hard working, that's all well and fine but to be the best you need to be more than a hard worker. You must practice away your weaknesses. You have to put in the extra, extra time. That's what I'm talking about. Being around good & great athletes all of my life the difference between the two, in many cases was the work that was produced that went above and beyond the normal hard work.

I don't think it was the tipping point.

From what I know, TH was a good kid who made a single mistake.

The options for DM were to either bounce the kid or suspend him for the spring.

DM did what he had to do.

And it did set TH back a bit.

why are some of you assuming Hunt is not working hard? what is your evidence?
I was basing that on OE's post as I trust him and he obviously had more information on the situation than I do. :noidea:

Sorry to beat a dead horse, of sorts, but it continues to astound me how poorly this program has developed QBs in the last 10+ years. Outside of Nassib, who became pretty damn good, it's been one whiff after another.

Here's hoping someone on campus or soon-to-arrive steps up to the plate.

It is a really miserable record with QBs, but I wouldn't describe it as "one whiff after another" necessarily. Toward the end of the P era, I think a major issue was numbers. McNabb dominated for four years and put us on a national stage and yet, at the end of the day, the only viable options at QB were a talented guy who supposedly had no idea how to play QB and/or read a playbook (Madei Williams) and a guy who worked hard and had the right attitude but was undersized and not terribly talented (Nunes). That's it -- four years worth of recruiting.

Then, our only viable candidates after that were were the talented but complete trainwreck known as Cecil Howard (I still fall off my chair every time I type his name), Patterson (solid prospect), Joe Fields (rushed onto the field), RJ Anderson (a major, major project in every sense of the word) and Joe Dailey (oops, not him). I would argue they actually did a decent job developing RJ into something more or less useful. Patterson had injuries but I also feel was a bit overrated -- nice touch but not terribly athletic overall.

Then you had GRob who gave us the unique pleasure of watching a team with absolutely no offensive direction for four years. In fact, DM came in and really struggled offensively and yet it was still a significant upgrade from the days of GRob. How good GRob was at developing QBs remains a mystery b/c we still have no idea what he had in mind for an offense. But he did give us the unique pleasure of watching a decent QB prospect disintegrate before our very eyes. Andrew Robinson once threw for 400+ yards twice in one season and managed a pretty solid 13 TDs to 7 INTs with 7.5 yds/attempt (a mark Nassib only cleared as a senior). He wound up as a tight end. Odd.

Then the DM era broke and we saw the Paulus/Nassib season and then Nassib actually develop into a good QB.

But, regardless, I think the numbers were the main issue under P (who had developed some pretty good QBs), then GRob's overall ineptitude offensively became an impossible obstacle for any QB to overcome and finally DM, who probably deserves equal credit for "developing" nassib and for finally letting the kid loose with a creative, aggressive offense that allowed him to actually throw the ball downfield and put up some pretty gaudy numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom