Stuff | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Stuff

... and the coaching staff, it's an upgrade everywhere you look. These guys know how to coach, motivate, recruit and work together for the common good. HCSS is a breath of fresh air to everyone associated with the program.

Nice post. This last part really intrigues me. I only say that b/c while I never professed myself to be an unabashed DM fan, I thought he did a nice job and put together a pretty impressive staff. I liked Wheatley and think he was a really solid recruiting presence. Adkins was so-so as an OL coach for much of his tenure, but put together the best OL I've seen here dating back at least to the mid-90s and also had a hand in quietly righting the ship in terms of recruiting and putting us in very good position moving forward. Hackett, despite my making fun of his being rising star, proved this year to be exactly that. I don't know for sure but I tend to give a lot of the credit for the new offense to him since it seemed so opposite DM's way of thinking, IMO. Anselmo was a nice presence downstate, Moore did a nice job and is still here, obviously, Shafer was one of the best hires we've ever had.

My point is only that it's cool we're fired up about this staff, but the bar is already set fairly high. Will be fun to watch if this really is discernibly a "better" staff.

I don't think it was the tipping point.

From what I know, TH was a good kid who made a single mistake.

The options for DM were to either bounce the kid or suspend him for the spring.

DM did what he had to do.

And it did set TH back a bit.

I don't think anyone should have a problem with the punishment, and whether or not it fit the crime. We don't know the whole story, but sometimes you need what might be considered a harsh punishment, to make sure the kid understands how much he could be throwing away. We might look back and say it was the best thing that ever happened to him.

This stuff about him not working hard enough, I wonder where that's coming from. The staff? People's perceptions? That's a tough one to judge, but I'm glad to see McDonald tweeting that Hunt is getting to practice before him.

Being a SUFB fan first then a SUBB next thank you syracusefan.com for this important info it means alot. Even though SUBB is Final 4ing and thats SUPER and they should get 99% of the news, SUFB is still alive and its fans need info thanks again. As for the QB's I've been saying since last year SUFB is in real trouble because of their QB situation. Part of the problem is dougie for not getting the "real" talented QB in at SU. dougie knew the backups were not of good quality otherwise he would play them once in awhile. I think the freshman might have a excellent chance of starting. If so you'll see loud issues from the upper classmen. This might show HCSS metal towards the team!! NONE of these QB's show 50% of Ryan's ability. SUFB is in trouble. The running game now plays the fore front. But we'll see. If the QB position is not there then Mcdonald and HCSS will go after a quality JUCO or high stared HS QB!! Please no more Paulus experiments either. That name is a swear word to the program!! Or a nightmare!!

Being a SUFB fan first then a SUBB next thank you syracusefan.com for this important info it means alot. Even though SUBB is Final 4ing and thats SUPER and they should get 99% of the news, SUFB is still alive and its fans need info thanks again. As for the QB's I've been saying since last year SUFB is in real trouble because of their QB situation. Part of the problem is dougie for not getting the "real" talented QB in at SU. dougie knew the backups were not of good quality otherwise he would play them once in awhile. I think the freshman might have a excellent chance of starting. If so you'll see loud issues from the upper classmen. This might show HCSS metal towards the team!! NONE of these QB's show 50% of Ryan's ability. SUFB is in trouble. The running game now plays the fore front. But we'll see. If the QB position is not there then Mcdonald and HCSS will go after a quality JUCO or high stared HS QB!! Please no more Paulus experiments either. That name is a swear word to the program!! Or a nightmare!!
I recall that in the beginning of last season, you didn't like Nassib and you explicitly said SU had no good RBs and you were very critical of Marrone's ability to recruit RBs.

NONE of these QB's show 50% of Ryan's ability. SUFB is in trouble.
And you know this how? Do you regularly attend practice or have access to practice/scrimmage film?

You mean they wouldn't go out and try to recruit the best QB they could otherwise?

As for SUFB is in trouble, based on the quality of your prior insight into the program, it's clear skies and smooth sailing as far as the eye can see.

rp_primary_ericwhiteWEB.jpg

Shafer Hires White to Direct Recruiting*

freaks.jpg

I liked him on Freaks and Geeks too!

I don't think anyone should have a problem with the punishment, and whether or not it fit the crime. We don't know the whole story, but sometimes you need what might be considered a harsh punishment, to make sure the kid understands how much he could be throwing away. We might look back and say it was the best thing that ever happened to him.

This stuff about him not working hard enough, I wonder where that's coming from. The staff? People's perceptions? That's a tough one to judge, but I'm glad to see McDonald tweeting that Hunt is getting to practice before him.

There really is no "whole story"

A good kid made a mistake.

The punishment was a brief suspension.

That's all there is to that story.

Do you think the punishment FHCDM leveled to TH fit the crime? I mean a 15 practice suspension would be more equal to an armed robbery than swipping one bottle of $44 cologne! There are things that we don't know about, that go on within the program. Perhaps the colgne caper was the tipping point. As far as being hard working, that's all well and fine but to be the best you need to be more than a hard worker. You must practice away your weaknesses. You have to put in the extra, extra time. That's what I'm talking about. Being around good & great athletes all of my life the difference between the two, in many cases was the work that was produced that went above and beyond the normal hard work.

What I've heard OE is that DM was looking to make an example to send a message to the rest of the team after some dysfunction manifested in the previous season. TH had the unfortunate timing of being the guy who made the next dumb mistake, so he was the one made the example of.

I don't have a problem with coaches meting out whatever punishments they deem fit. It was unfortunate, because I think that Hunt would have benefited from being a spring practice participant last year, but it is impossible [on the outside] to say what impact the message that Marrone sent had on the rest of the team. Maybe it induced some players to keep their noses clean, buckle down, etc. when they otherwise might not have.

Bottom line, sucks that Hunt didn't get to practice--might have hindered his developmental curve--but I'll take last season's results with the team being mentally tough and not losing focus. If the suspension was in any small way a contributing factor to that, it was worth it.

Anyone know how receptive the players have been to the new staff?

The players truly like the new staff, and just as important, the recruits do as well. This is a players'-first staff if there ever was one. Shafer can't give out enough bear hugs.

What I've heard OE is that DM was looking to make an example to send a message to the rest of the team after some dysfunction manifested in the previous season. TH had the unfortunate timing of being the guy who made the next dumb mistake, so he was the one made the example of.

I don't have a problem with coaches meting out whatever punishments they deem fit. It was unfortunate, because I think that Hunt would have benefited from being a spring practice participant last year, but it is impossible [on the outside] to say what impact the message that Marrone sent had on the rest of the team. Maybe it induced some players to keep their noses clean, buckle down, etc. when they otherwise might not have.

Bottom line, sucks that Hunt didn't get to practice--might have hindered his developmental curve--but I'll take last season's results with the team being mentally tough and not losing focus. If the suspension was in any small way a contributing factor to that, it was worth it.

Nope. Marrone was a big trust guy. Stealing is the worst form of violating someone's trust and was unacceptable to Doug. That's why Delone/Hunt essentially got a similar suspension.

Nope. Marrone was a big trust guy. Stealing is the worst form of violating someone's trust and was unacceptable to Doug. That's why Delone/Hunt essentially got a similar suspension.

Stealing is reprehensible--no argument there.

Just passing along what I'd heard, from a pretty good source.

And I'll add to that sentiment, the biggest upgrade was at head coach.

I'm behind Shafer all the way, but, how do you know that.

Considering you were unable to actually see, or acknowledge, the progress the program was making until it was obvious to anyone, not surprising.

Two completely different jobs at this point by the way.

Agree, Marrone was the right guy at the right time. Wish he was still here. But because of the foundation that he started, I think Shafer's style has a better chance of being successful here. If Shafer followed GRob, that may not have worked. Program needed a cultural makeover, and got one. Maybe Shafer could have achieved that, who knows, but doesn't matter.

That's a clown post Bro!

I'm behind Shafer all the way, but, how do you know that.

Considering you were unable to actually see, or acknowledge, the progress the program was making until it was obvious to anyone, not surprising.

In order:

Because for large parts of his tenure Marrone was not a good college coach.

False.

Irrelevant.

In order:

Because for large parts of his tenure Marrone was not a good college coach.

False.

Irrelevant.

You've been clear / consistent about your feelings on Marrone--not going to try to change your mind. But I disagree with your top assertion. I think people still continue to underestimate how big of a reclamation project this program rebuild was. Marrone made them instantly more competitive, even with depleted depth.

Not in any way suggesting that he was perfect. There were lots of areas that were frustrating as hell--special teams, for example. He also struggled with some game day / sideline stuff--but I understand why, since he'd never been a head coach and needed to figure some things out [he also got better over his tenure].

But he got a LOT more out of his players than the previous head coach, and did a solid job on the recruiting trail. Team size / speed / athleticism also improved. I also wonder how much of the "boring" offense early on was related to personnel limitations that started to be less pronounced last year.

I agree with Chip above--he was the right guy at the time to take on the rebuild, and I have to believe that with two bowl appearances / victories in four years, he righted the ship. His departure was ugly, no question about that. But ultimately, I think his "legacy" in the minds of SU fans will depend on how Shaffer does. If Shaffer succeeds, then the hard feelings will ebb and Marrone will be viewed favorably in the minds of most SU fans for turning things around when we were at our low point. If Shaffer fails, then Marrone will be blamed for leaving "too early," when the program was in a precarious position, and not sticking around to finish the job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom