SU AD Receives $25M Gift from Former Player | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU AD Receives $25M Gift from Former Player

Honestly, the Dome should be near the end of the line when it comes to deploying gift and fundraising money. Most college stadiums are old and relatively mediocre, compared to their shiny NFL equivalents anyway.

Money needs to be spent in areas that improve recruiting and improve player satisfaction while on campus (because that impacts recruiting).

The Dome is already good enough, from a player perspective. And it’s only getting better.

That’s sort of where I’m at. Is having better lockers and dorms really gonna change the program trajectory?

If the game day atmosphere is where we’re lacking - why not spend a fraction of that money to have Disney develop some animatronic fans that can be deployed in unsold seats? The technology has been there for awhile. Let STHs have a remote to control the nearest “dummy” to cheer or boo - they can even decide to dress it up in the donation level seating. Yeah this sounds ridiculous at face value but it would set us apart. And the games are about entertainment, so should it matter as long as the players look up and see a “full” dome?

When Joe Morris went 95 with that kickoff against Miami University, when Leo Rautins tipped it in the third OT against Villanova, when the pearl hit the half-courter vs. BC, when Rob Moore went 80 on the first play vs. Penn State, when Michael Owens scored the two pointer to get us to 11-0, when John Thompson got thrown out, when Kirby Dar Dar ran past Steve Spurrier to score on that kickoff reverse...I don't remember anyone complaining about the fan experience. The two sources of the real fan experience are what the teams do and how the fans react to it.

it's nice to have pictures on the walls. I don't really mind the bleachers and the pee troughs. we could sure use a better sound system and air conditioning. But the only time we really notice that stuff is when the game is going poorly and the fans are silent.

When Joe Morris went 95 with that kickoff against Miami University, when Leo Rautins tipped it in the third OT against Villanova, when the pearl hit the half-courter vs. BC, when Rob Moore went 80 on the first play vs. Penn State, when Michael Owens scored the two pointer to get us to 11-0, when John Thompson got thrown out, when Kirby Dar Dar ran past Steve Spurrier to score on that kickoff reverse...I don't remember anyone complaining about the fan experience. The two sources of the real fan experience are what the teams do and how the fans react to it.

it's nice to have pictures on the walls. I don't really mind the bleachers and the pee troughs. we could sure use a better sound system and air conditioning. But the only time we really notice that stuff is when the game is going poorly and the fans are silent.

Bigger aisles and more bathrooms are essential. Better concessions, too.

I have a collection of past yearbooks and media guides. I have a few from the late 60's Then i stopped buying them for some reason, (it might have to do with my parents not paying for them any longer). I then started buying them when the Dome opened and I bought season tickets for the first time. the earliest one I have from that period is the 1981 yearbook. it contains a thumbnail picture portrait of each player of each player, his position, height, weight, class, hometown and a one-paragraph description.

John Lally is on page 27. He looks something like this:

1569170487420.png
except that his hair is very curly, (almost an afro look), the picture is just from the neck up and taken out door. he also has neck pad on and a big smile, no doubt anticipating all the millions he will make after he graduates.

He's listed as a senior offensive guard, 6-2, 251, from Clarence, NY

The bio:

"One of the men up front who makes the offense go. won a starting job last season but was slowed by injuries. Also missed spring practice. Will be ready to provide protection and open up the holes this fall."

He's still up front and making things possible.

I looked at his teammates. Joe Morris is the featured one with a page all to himself,Joe was 5-7 and 182 back then. He's rushed for 1,000 yards as a freshman, despite barely in three games. he averaged 5.8 yards per carry. His second year was his biggest as the 1979 went to the first bowl game in 12 years, (and the last for another 6). he rushed for 1,372 yards at 5.7 per carry, including 252 vs. Kansas, still the school record. He then missed five games to injury in 1980 but still gained 732 yards at 5 a pop. he was already the school's career rushing leader.

the other name that jumps out is Mike Zunic, who died with his wife in that plane crash and after whom the award is named. He was a 5-11 214 senior linebacker from Pittsburgh. he's in a similar pose to Lally, even to the neck pad, although his hair is long and kind of disheveled. "Blends the experience of three years as a starter with natural physical ability. Second leading tackler among returnees with 47 solos and 63 assists. had two interceptions last year, including one for a touchdown against Penn State. honorable mention AP All-East. should have an outstanding senior campaign." honorable mention, indeed.

Then there's Gary Anderson, later to become the NFL's all-time leading scorer. he was coming off a season where he was 22 for 22 on extra points and 9 for 16 on field goal attempts. He was about to have a season where he made 18 of 19 field goals, still the SU record for accuracy. Something for Andre Szymt to shoot for.

The raw material for "Four Wheel Drive" was there: Bill Pendock, Blaise Winter and Jamie Kimmel were all sophomores. The missing piece : Tim green who was still tearing it up at Liverpool High School.

Then there's Jamie Covington, who in 1982 would make an epic run against #2 ranked Pittsburgh to tie the game late in the second half - only to have it negated by a phantom holding call. Dan Marino then hit a long one to salt it away, 0-14.

Easily the biggest player on the team was Mike Charles , a 6-4 273 junior defensive tackle. No one else was even 260 pounds.

Then there's Marty Chalk who came from Elmira like Ernie Davis - and Pete Curkendall whom Coiach mac badly wanted to come here. Mac kept talking about Davis and Chlak but Pete wanted to win so he went to Penn State. He got what he wanted but he was also on the field for the '87 which was sweet revenge.

then there's Gordon Gronkowski, a senior guard from west Seneca, NY. Yup, he's Rob's father and boy didn't G-Rob want him come here. Gronk could have said that he played both the best coach ever and the worst.

We had a pretty good couch at that time. It was going to be Dick MacPherson's first year and he was posing in from of the famous Ernie Davis painting. His hair is still mostly dark and mostly there. he was 50 years old. Jake Crouthamel was 43 and is shown with a confident, determined look on his face, foreseeing the impact of the Dome, the Big east, ESPN, and having Jim Boeheim and Coach mac working for him.

Heck, I was just 27 years old myself. Hit the rewind button. Let's do it all again! (Or most of it, anyway.)

Incredible gift! In the announcement video, they kept showing aerial shots of Manley. I'm going to assume that was done intentionally. Interested to hear the full details when they are released.

Honestly, the Dome should be near the end of the line when it comes to deploying gift and fundraising money. Most college stadiums are old and relatively mediocre, compared to their shiny NFL equivalents anyway.

Money needs to be spent in areas that improve recruiting and improve player satisfaction while on campus (because that impacts recruiting).

The Dome is already good enough, from a player perspective. And it’s only getting better.

Couldn't have said it better.

They're in the Dome maybe 12 times a year. And half of those days are walk throughs the day before games.

Spend the money where they are the most. Dorms, practice facilities, coaches office.

Incredible gift! In the announcement video, they kept showing aerial shots of Manley. I'm going to assume that was done intentionally. Interested to hear the full details when they are released.
Sounds like a nice new addition onto the practice facility is in the works, for sure. Assuming this would be a centralized location for all the football staff offices, which would be sweet. Could be wrong, but that's my guess from everything that has been posted

I anticipate a SU to construct a football operations center similar to the University of South Carolina ($50 million) which is adjacent to their indoor and outdoor practice fields.

Football Operations Center Shows Commitment to Championship Experience - University of South Carolina Athletics

What: The Cyndi and Kenneth Long Family Football Operations Center

Where it is: At the rear of Gamecock Park and adjacent to the indoor practice facility. The new building overlooks the outdoor practice fields and has a direct view of Williams-Brice Stadium.

Cost: $50 million

Overall square footage: 110,000 square feet

Architects: Quackenbush Architects + Planners; and Gensler Sports

General contractor: Contract Construction

Branding design: Jack Porter

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...dall-blog/article225502770.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited:
Well when 10,000 elderly and children get trampled to death in the concourses because someone pops a paper bag that's going to be a big dent to the paying fan base. It's a tragedy and a lawsuit waiting to happen, especially if we start having more of these 45k+ crowds. Yeah it hasn't happened before but that's a fool's logic.

Now back on topic - it would be nice if they produced renderings of the new football operations center ASAP so Dino can try to salvage this year's recruiting class. Just print something snazzy, concept art, etc. so the coaches can get the recruits excited.

Gifts, like this one, are huge for our program. We are competing against large land-grant universities who have a more solid funding base to use when upgrades are needed. How they spend this gift can go a long way to improving the quality of the athletic teams we field; if spent wisely. Let's hope the brain trust will make this gift and turning it into meaningful upgrades that help us attract a higher level recruit and perhaps also being employed to keep quality assistant coaches.

Who's to say these dreams still can't come true?

We're not getting a 40 story hotel and an indoor water park.

I'm just happy Margaritaville hasn't closed yet. I need my annual "Cheeseburger in Paradise".

Since this all goes into the Athletic Budget I can't wait to see how much the Football Team gets..

Well when 10,000 elderly and children get trampled to death in the concourses because someone pops a paper bag that's going to be a big dent to the paying fan base. It's a tragedy and a lawsuit waiting to happen, especially if we start having more of these 45k+ crowds. Yeah it hasn't happened before but that's a fool's logic.

Now back on topic - it would be nice if they produced renderings of the new football operations center ASAP so Dino can try to salvage this year's recruiting class. Just print something snazzy, concept art, etc. so the coaches can get the recruits excited.

OK.