SU Announces National Search for Women's Head Coach | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

SU Announces National Search for Women's Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s wait and see who applies for the opening and or who they target!

SU has had a lot of men head coaches for its female teams. I think there is some pressure to address this.

JW already did with the women’s lacrosse team and I think he also did this with the softball team.

He has positions open now for volleyball and women’s basketball.

Given our history and the fact that at least some of the problems with the Q era were related to things a male coach should never do, I expect females to be hired for both open positions. Would be shocked if we brought in a man for women’s basketball.

Guessing Legette, Reiss and Milton-Jones are strong contenders. I would be pretty happy with any of those coaches. But an energetic young coach With a good track record would work for me too.

I want someone who has been a head coach and been successful. IMHO, the job is too attractive to bring in an unproven assistant.

Will we have a coach by Mar 26th? Apr 1? - I'll explain later.

IMO - we all seem to have rose color glasses on and want the best for the program when we don't have an idea of where we are.

15 Scholarships for women's program - 7 left after this yr, 8 open. 1 starter left (Hyman) - let's look at different scenario's - Hyman, Williams both stay..one/both Carrs return,,all other players stay - 6-7 scholarships left. no current incoming recruits. At least some solid pieces for a coach to work with.

Both Carr's leave - 8 scholarships aval. Hyman, Williams waiting on coaching selection to decide their fate...one/both enter portal..no recruits. now 10 scholarships available..worst scenario ever..and worst than last year.

So definitely we need someone with head coaching experience that can sell the program but also handle the stress of the situation...not a place for 1st time coach.

We are offering a position in one of best conference, probably a good salary bump, but we sit with a lot of question marks. As for hiring HC and players following that's an uncertainty and not even part of the hiring equation.

The Portal - we got lucky this year with a great group of outstanding women, that honor their commitment, and gave their all. Repeating will be harder - at least 6 ACC schools have 5 scholarship openings and we still have to compete with SEC, CT, and others.

Which leads me to question at the top - how long before we have a coach? Engstler entered portal Mar 26, Apr 1 she signed at Louisville...not even a full week past..top players won't last long and we know we'll need a center for sure.

IMO - we all seem to have rose color glasses on and want the best for the program when we don't have an idea of where we are.

15 Scholarships for women's program - 7 left after this yr, 8 open. 1 starter left (Hyman) - let's look at different scenario's - Hyman, Williams both stay..one/both Carrs return,,all other players stay - 6-7 scholarships left. no current incoming recruits. At least some solid pieces for a coach to work with.

Both Carr's leave - 8 scholarships aval. Hyman, Williams waiting on coaching selection to decide their fate...one/both enter portal..no recruits. now 10 scholarships available..worst scenario ever..and worst than last year.

So definitely we need someone with head coaching experience that can sell the program but also handle the stress of the situation...not a place for 1st time coach.

We are offering a position in one of best conference, probably a good salary bump, but we sit with a lot of question marks. As for hiring HC and players following that's an uncertainty and not even part of the hiring equation.

The Portal - we got lucky this year with a great group of outstanding women, that honor their commitment, and gave their all. Repeating will be harder - at least 6 ACC schools have 5 scholarship openings and we still have to compete with SEC, CT, and others.

Which leads me to question at the top - how long before we have a coach? Engstler entered portal Mar 26, Apr 1 she signed at Louisville...not even a full week past..top players won't last long and we know we'll need a center for sure.

URI may be headed to the WNIT.

UBuffalo hasn't even started the MAC Tournament yet.

It will likely take a few years to rebuild. The record this year was better than I expected given the situation. Recruiting is key initially as we need to restock talent badly, so who ever the coach is needs to be able to recruit very well.

Players who play Fall Sports have until May 1st to enter the portal to be eligible to play this Fall without sitting. Players who have already transferred once under this rule would have to sit a year if they transfer a second time.

Only 66? That's not the age I want for a coach to start a total gut rehab of the program.

She’d have a solid decade before she got to the JB age of decline. ;)

Plus, she’s had a multi-year sabbatical, not just 9 games, to get her fired up to wanna coach.

She’d have a solid decade before she got to the JB age of decline. ;)

Plus, she’s had a multi-year sabbatical, not just 9 games, to get her fired up to wanna coach.
She voluntarily retired and is a professor at Notre Dame and makes big $ as a motivational speaker.
Megan Duffy from Marquette, played at Notre Dame, coach for 2 years at Miami of Ohio. In her 3rd year at Marquette. She is in her 30's knows how to recruit, could be a great hire.
I’m intrigued by her too. Young, motivated, yet experienced being the successful head coach at 2 D1 schools. Only 37 years old.

She voluntarily retired and is a professor at Notre Dame and makes big $ as a motivational speaker.

I’m intrigued by her too. Young, motivated, yet experienced being the successful head coach at 2 D1 schools. Only 37 years old.
One of her players at Marquette was Selena Lott, a very accomplished player out of Columbia HS in East Greenbush where Craig Forth also went to. I don't know that Duffy recruited her but she definitely coached her according to her bio.

One of her players at Marquette was Selena Lott, a very accomplished player out of Columbia HS in East Greenbush where Craig Forth also went to. I don't know that Duffy recruited her but she definitely coached her according to her bio.
Duffy has a sign contract with the Marquette through the 2026-27 season, so that's an obstacle. Don't see SU buying it out.

I like that even as young as she is, she definitely doesn’t shy away from the toughest competition, playing In the Big East Conference against Geno and Connecticut. She expects to win, knowing that she’ll be playing Connecticut at least twice a year. Winning the conference coach of the year in her first years there is no small achievement.

I would assume that any successful head coaching candidate would have a contract involving a buyout. In fact if a successful coach isn’t offered an extension as a reward with a buyout since administrations want to be compensated if they lose a contract coach, it’s a sign they are on a hot seat to be let go. Depends on the financial investment, a program wants to make and their confidence that it will make a difference in paying buyouts. It is difficult to almost impossible to recruit if a coach doesn’t have a contract that will cover the 4 next years a player would attend.

I want to add that I do love Felisha but I wish SU had appointed her coach 15-20 years ago. In my opinion, she should have definitely been named back then. She would have older, established alumni support too if named. She’s such a likable person.

Yes, though I suspect she has grown as a coach since her time with Indiana.

Last edited:
Need to get a good young coach who can build their own program. Felicia would have been a good hire 10 years ago.
So, you are saying Jack is too old to coach?

I would hope that SU hires someone who has HC experience and not just an assistant coach with ACC experience.
None of those women have the resume of. Megan Duffy the Marquette coach who played at Notre Dame. 37 is a great age to start coaching at a power 5 school.
Having played at Notre Dame and in the WNBA, Megan knows the type of players needed to win in the ACC.

Agreed. Trying not to be too hyperbolic, but this hire, IMO, represents a watershed moment for the program. The wrong choice will take years to recover from.
Agree with both you and CL. Not big on someone needing on the job training with this position. For as poorly as Q's tenure ended, one thing he did was prove you can go to the NCAA regularly at SU. It's not like we're offering a job where nobody has won before. I'd like to think we can attract some good experienced candidates. I'm starting to favor Megan Duffy in an ideal world.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom