SU Announces National Search for Women's Head Coach | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU Announces National Search for Women's Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, we’re throwing shade at a coach from Buffalo….

… while many of our fanbase are fantasizing that maybe we can lure a former Buffalo coach to take over the Men’s hoops program.

You can’t make this stuff up.
Spot on! Thank you!!

But there is a huge step up in basketball from recruiting at Buffalo. She had problems recruiting in the Big 10. The Mac is a one bid conference, the Big East might get 3 including Uconn. At this point as much as Felicia is a legend, this next hire needs to be a long term hire.
Notre Dame, when Muffet stepped down went out and got a former young assistant as their new coach.
Seems you just don't like Jack and all about ND, sure you belong on this board? Ivey is still working off McGraw's recruits so there's that and she also had no HC experience which Jack has.

Yes, she didn't have success at Indiana but has at Buffalo. She has managed to recruit local talent Hemphill (Buffalo), Fair(Rochester) plus some nearby Canadian players and has manage to bring players in from Australia, England, Germany. She has up the level of talent during her time in Buffalo which you hope you coach does for their program. So what if the MAC only gets one bid, she has them in contention, she did her job and that's what counts.

I just hope SU does a complete search and interviews some of the WNBA asst coaches, current college HC and assts.

So, you are saying Jack is too old to coach?
Not me ever. She’s a fine coach and wonderful person who would do any program proud. However the competition in the ACC compared to the Mid American Conference is quite different. They are mainly a smaller regional conference made up of smaller schools from Ohio, Indiana and Michigan - Buffalo is the only NY school. The competition, experience and pressure of making the NCAA’s, less winning in the post season is different.

That said, Felisha would have the advantage of the backing and expectations of a major P5 more nationally known program competing in an extremely competitive conference with great alumni support for one of ‘their own’. She will be quite aware of the pressures and expectations of heading a P5 program from her experience at Indiana. I know that past coaches have had pushback by some of these alumni and supporters when ‘one of their own wasn’t chosen. She wouldn’t face that issue.

Ability to attract the best assistants to recruit and develop the players into a cohesive, highly competitive team is key. This can be an issue if proponents have secondary motives too. I’m optimistic that we will have a program we can be proud of with either option, Felisha or a Reiss, Duffy or Duffy type. Lots to look forward to. It’s a new exciting era for the program. Go Orange!

Not me ever. She’s a fine coach and wonderful person who would do any program proud. However the competition in the ACC compared to the Mid American Conference is quite different. They are mainly a smaller regional conference made up of smaller schools from Ohio, Indiana and Michigan - Buffalo is the only NY school. The competition, experience and pressure of making the NCAA’s, less winning in the post season is different.

That said, Felisha would have the advantage of the backing and expectations of a major P5 more nationally known program competing in an extremely competitive conference with great alumni support for one of ‘their own’. She will be quite aware of the pressures and expectations of heading a P5 program from her experience at Indiana. I know that past coaches have had pushback by some of these alumni and supporters when ‘one of their own wasn’t chosen. She wouldn’t face that issue.

Ability to attract the best assistants to recruit and develop the players into a cohesive, highly competitive team is key. This can be an issue if proponents have secondary motives too. I’m optimistic that we will have a program we can be proud of with either option, Felisha or a Reiss, Duffy or Duffy type. Lots to look forward to. It’s a new exciting era for the program. Go Orange!
Agree with all of this.

I don't know enough about women's basketball to have an informed choice here. Will trust in John Wildhack and support whoever he picks.

Hope it happens soon and they hit the floor running. We need bodies on the roster in the worst way and it is not good having no verbals for 2023 in the can yet. One thing that would be nice hiring someone from another program is if they can bring a bunch of good players with them to help serve as a foundation for the new era.

Agree with all of this.

I don't know enough about women's basketball to have an informed choice here. Will trust in John Wildhack and support whoever he picks.

Hope it happens soon and they hit the floor running. We need bodies on the roster in the worst way and it is not good having no verbals for 2023 in the can yet. One thing that would be nice hiring someone from another program is if they can bring a bunch of good players with them to help serve as a foundation for the new era.

Huh??

Football has ONE '23 verbal so far.
Men's hoops - zero '23 verbals so far.

Nobody seems worried about either of those right now - why would women's hoops be any different?

Given the unknown status of our future Womens HC, it's not at all surprising not to have any verbals, yet.
And since Vonn Read was an interim HC, there was less than zero chance he could land anybody in that untenable situation.

I do agree with your last line, which makes the 'worry' about croots, even less of a worry.

Huh??

Football has ONE '23 verbal so far.
Men's hoops - zero '23 verbals so far.

Nobody seems worried about either of those right now - why would women's hoops be any different?

Given the unknown status of our future Womens HC, it's not at all surprising not to have any verbals, yet.
And since Vonn Read was an interim HC, there was less than zero chance he could land anybody in that untenable situation.

I do agree with your last line, which makes the 'worry' about croots, even less of a worry.
Sorry, meant 2022. We currently have zero recruits coming in for 2022, correct?

Roger that.

I believe you are correct, which means the new HC is gonna hafta pound the portal like a banshee.
I don't know that much about WBB recruiting but if the portal has had the same effect that it had on football recruiting there should still be uncommitted 2022s available.

Well if Felisha, they have to wait until she is finished. I believe she is the only one that I have seen discussed that made the NCAA tournament. She will have a couple of years of the tournament under her belt, which is also important imho. The support she will get is immense. But there is a whole slew I could live with.

Well if Felisha, they have to wait until she is finished. I believe she is the only one that I have seen discussed that made the NCAA tournament. She will have a couple of years of the tournament under her belt, which is also important imho. The support she will get is immense. But there is a whole slew I could live with.
This has been one of the best jobs in the ACC except for the last 2 years. Recruiting was very high Q got Kamilla and Priscilla, both All Americans. Had finished in top 5 most years in a good conference.
Whoever the next coach is needs to stay among the top 5, and get to the next level.

Some good players starting to enter the portal now like the 6ft forward from Denver Ezeudu, 6-2 Miss St Jackson. I'm sure there will be more but I was looking for some height

Some good players starting to enter the portal now like the 6ft forward from Denver Ezeudu, 6-2 Miss St Jackson. I'm sure there will be more but I was looking for some height
If Priscilla and both of the Carr's come back have 2 6-2 guards, and hyman. Those 4 would be a good start, get 3 or 4 players 6-3 or bigger, then a couple more guards that would be good for depth.
Hope whoever comes in continues to press, and mix up defenses.

Can we get an actual center please? I'm getting impatient with this coaching search, sitting here tapping my fingers. If Wildhack has done his job he's got a short list and has already talked to them before the national search announcement came out. I'm inpatient because I'm excited for what the future holds.

Cheriehoop your post above nailed it, especially about FLJ.

Can we get an actual center please? I'm getting impatient with this coaching search, sitting here tapping my fingers. If Wildhack has done his job he's got a short list and has already talked to them before the national search announcement came out. I'm inpatient because I'm excited for what the future holds.

Cheriehoop your post above nailed it, especially about FLJ.
Many programs and coaches are reluctant to announce transitions if a coach’s team is involved in a post season tournament (NCAA, NIT). Timing , ethics etc is also difficult for both programs involved regarding incoming recruits who have signed or delayed signing NLI’s. I don’t think Felisha’s son who transferred into Buffalo this year from George Washington has any eligibility left, but maybe will be graduating in May could also affect timing or considerations.

Many programs and coaches are reluctant to announce transitions if a coach’s team is involved in a post season tournament (NCAA, NIT). Timing , ethics etc is also difficult for both programs involved regarding incoming recruits who have signed or delayed signing NLI’s. I don’t think Felisha’s son who transferred into Buffalo this year from George Washington has any eligibility, but maybe will be graduating in May could also affect timing or considerations.
Right, I am sure if anyone JW already spoke with is in the post season they will be tight lipped until they lose out. Unless of course it's someone like Brian Kelly :cool:

Interesting and rather surprising but I imagine that answers one option.
Can’t imagine wildhack would hire her anyway. Would get even more backlash since she was there with Q all those years.

Can’t imagine wildhack would hire her anyway. Would get even more backlash since she was there with Q all those years.
Lol wut? All of the players that were here when Tammi was here loved her? I'm starting to think the success we had while she was here was because of her and not Q. Hell, who's to say that one of the reasons she left for URI was to get away from Q? IMO, Wildhack would hire Reiss, and he would be stupid not to. Plus, I think she would be well received from the community and welcomed back with open arms. What Q was doing had nothing to do with her or Amadou.

Lol wut? All of the players that were here when Tammi was here loved her? I'm starting to think the success we had while she was here was because of her and not Q. Hell, who's to say that one of the reasons she left for URI was to get away from Q? IMO, Wildhack would hire Reiss, and he would be stupid not to. Plus, I think she would be well received from the community and welcomed back with open arms. What Q was doing had nothing to do with her or Amadou.
What’s there to be confused about? She was on the staff when all the bullying went down. There was also players that came to Q’s defense.

Bottom line is it wouldn’t be a good PR hire IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors