SU bowl projections | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

SU bowl projections

People are putting way too much stock in projections. Bottom line is this team will be lucky to win another game with Wake and BC. Between the optics of how horrible this team has been during the past month and being in the northeast, I don't see any bowl other than the one in Boston. Pinstripe isn't taking an 0-6 team in the last half of the season. Real bummer.

People are putting way too much stock in projections. Bottom line is this team will be lucky to win another game with Wake and BC. Between the optics of how horrible this team has been during the past month and being in the northeast, I don't see any bowl other than the one in Boston. Pinstripe isn't taking an 0-6 team in the last half of the season. Real bummer.

You’re forgetting that the Pinstripe loves taking Cuse because it pulls a lot of fans

They generally take 6-6 7-5 teams

We fit what they want

I don’t understand this reasoning, Syracuse will travel better than most teams to NYC regardless of how we finish. Wouldn’t the Pinstripe be more focused on attendance than anything?

I don’t understand this reasoning, Syracuse will travel better than most teams to NYC regardless of how we finish. Wouldn’t the Pinstripe be more focused on attendance than anything?
You honestly think fans will travel well when the product on the field is complete and utter garbage right now? The last two games, other than the defense and at times special teams, the product has been borderline unwatchable.

You’re forgetting that the Pinstripe loves taking Cuse because it pulls a lot of fans

They generally take 6-6 7-5 teams

We fit what they want
Other than being a New York team and playing Illinois, I don't see how this team would be appealing to the pinstripe bowl.

You honestly think fans will travel well when the product on the field is complete and utter garbage right now? The last two games, other than the defense and at times special teams, the product has been borderline unwatchable.
Yes, I would.

Cuse may not end up anywhere with a possible six game losing streak nor would they deserve to even go bowling. This program is a mess and all fingers should be pointing at Dino.
How would we not end up anywhere with more bowl slots available than 6-6 teams?

Pinstripe usually gets a 7-5 type team. Many project Minnesota at 8-4 to land in NYC. SU at 6-6 is not going to the Pinstripe. 7-5 and they probably go to NYC.

How would we not end up anywhere with more bowl slots available than 6-6 teams?

Lol that’s crazy talk….

ACC probably won’t have enough to fill all of its spots

Cuse is def going somewhere

Cuse may not end up anywhere with a possible six game losing streak nor would they deserve to even go bowling. This program is a mess and all fingers should be pointing at Dino.
unless you think we are going to turn down a bid, we are going to a bowl, doesn't matter how much the wheels have fallen off. the ACC has contracts with a ton of bowl games, they need to fill the slots, period.

The alumni base in NYC is huge

They would come out just because the game is at Yankee stadium and just a simple train ride away
Yup, they'll drink and have fun on a weekday. It's an excuse to get out and have fun, even if the team is on a tailspin. Hopefully we can course correct and we're 8-4 but even 7-5 will draw well there.

Yes as someone who was an officer of the northern NJ alumni club for 8 years before moving to AZ, I can say they like to attend the NY area events. Pair that with an very strong Lubin House staff and the person in charge there (who happens to be a very good friend of mine) will pull tons of alum in. and now you have a Westchester alumni club, and Fairfield, L. Island and S. NJ and NNJ alums will all get involved. It is an SU event that many will attend for that reason alone.

Pinstripe would love to have us, if we can at least beat BC I think they will be all over us. At 6-6 they may still grab us, but it becomes a lot more of a question mark, I honestly think we go to Fenway in that case. Bottom line is we are going to a bowl, the ACC will have either 9 or 10 bowl eligible teams (Miami has to win one game between Clemson and Pitt, so they are the question mark, Ga Tech has no shot at winning their last two, with NC and GA left), with the number of slots the ACC has contractually we are going to a bowl. I understand that there are ticked off fans based on how the last 4 weeks have gone, totally understandable, but that doesn't mean you can ignore facts. the facts are that we are going to a bowl, even if we lose out these next two weeks.

We will have just played in Boston in late November. It was be insane to ask Syracuse fans to go there twice in a month.

Of course, this said, it might still happen but I think we end up in NYC or Annapolis. Or maybe Tampa. (Really hoping for Tampa).
You say that as if our southern overlords care one bit about us.

Personally at this point, I would rather the pinstripe bowl

Easy to travel to, don’t have to take on a huge expense for a team that barely has a heartbeat
Actually Annapolis might be cheaper. Drive not that much different but lodging will be cheaper

Let’s add some reality to this discussion. ACC currently has 9 bowl eligible teams and three mathematically eliminated. Georgia Tech needs to win out to get to 6 wins and closes with UNC and Georgia. Ain’t happening. Miami needs to win one more and closes with Clemson and Pitt. Toss up with Pitt? Assume no ACC team, or Notre Dame miraculously climbs into the CFP playoff.

That leaves 9 or 10 teams to fill the bowl slots affiliated with the conference. Clemson / UNC winner goes to the Orange Bowl. Norte Dame cannot steal that one. Their are 9 Tier One bowls that will be filled first: In order of payout: Holiday, ReliaQuest, Cheez-It, Gator, Duke’s Mayo, Sun, Pinstripe, Military and Fenway. Notre Dame gets one of those. That leaves 8 or 9 teams for eight Tier one slots before the Tier 2 bowls (Gasparilla, First Responder and Birmingham) kick in. Impossible to fill all three and if Miami loses out, ACC only fills one.

If we win both remaining games we will likely end up in one of the middle Tier 1 bowls. If we win one, we likely drop down to Pinstripe. The only way we get to Tier 2 is if we lose out and Miami gets to 6 wins. That probably puts us in the mix with Miami and Louisville to be relegated to either Fenway, Military or Tier 2 bowl (Gasparilla?)

You say that as if our southern overlords care one bit about us.
I think they care about making the bowl people happy and getting the best fits possible slotting ACC schools into bowls.

Setting up awful matches is in no one's self interest.

Let's do worst case scenario. This would be if Clemson does not make the playoff, and the Reliaquest does not take an ACC team.

Then we are looking at something like this for ACC matchups...

Orange: Clemson
Gator: UNC
Cheez-It: Notre Dame
Duke's Mayo: Duke
Holiday: FSU
Sun Bowl: NC State
Military Bowl: Wake Forest
Pinstripe Bowl: Pittsburgh
Fenway Bowl: Syracuse

Birmingham Bowl: Louisville
Gasparilla Bowl: Miami

If things go as badly as possible, and this has been happening for a while now, yes, we could definitely get sent back to Boston.

If Clemson does not make the playoffs but the Reliaquest does take an ACC school, things change some...

Orange: Clemson
Reliaquest: UNC
Gator: Notre Dame
Cheez-It: FSU
Holiday: NC State
Sun Bowl: Wake Forest
Military Bowl: Pittsburgh
Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse
Fenway Bowl: Louisville

Birmingham Bowl: Miami
Gasparilla Bowl: no one available

If Clemson wins out and the ACC gets some help and Clemson makes the college football play, and the ACC gets the Reliaquest this year, we have the best case scenario.

Which probably looks like this. I am assuming for now Syracuse finishes 6-6.

CFP: Clemson
Orange: UNC
Reliaquest: Notre Dame
Gator: FSU
Cheez-It: NC State
Holiday: Pittsburgh
Sun Bowl: Wake Forest
Military Bowl: Miami
Pinstripe Bowl: Syracuse
Fenway Bowl: Louisville

Birmingham Bowl: no one available
Gasparilla Bowl: no one available

Unless we can find a way to get one or two more wins, I am having a hard time finding a way for us to even get serious consideration for the Military Bowl.

Now I started out with worst case and part of that is Miami getting bowl eligible with a win in one of their last 2 games. They play Clemson on the road and Pitt at home. It you don't want to go to the Pinstripe, you want Pitt to win that game in Miami, as it might possibly allow us to go to the Military Bowl.

How far we have fallen. Damn.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom