SU bowl projections | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

SU bowl projections

The pinstripe would suck. I don’t know anyone that wants to go there. But it’s not so much about the fans but about the team getting stuck in a cold weather bowl. Even if we sold fewer tickets, I want these kids to at least go to the Military Bowl.

The Twin Cities are very nice, actually. Very cool vibe. Good restaurants. I wouldn't want to live there in the winter, though. Too damn windy and cold.
I know, was just kidding. Have run through both of them in the Twin Cities Marathon. But there is a huge inferiority complex among the denizens and some think Syracuse is just another NYC borough.

Quick update:

Some of the uninformed web sites that post bowl projections have picked up on what McMurphy has out there and they are slowly imitating what he has, with Clemson in the Orange, ND in the Reliaquest and Syracuse in the Pinstripe.

It should be noted that we need some specific results for Ohio State to be assigned to the Orange Bowl. ACC schools need USC to win the P12 championship and Michigan to win the B1G championship. An upset in one of those games would not be a good thing for Syracuse or most of the other ACC schools.

Even if something happens and the winner of the ACC championship game gets an SEC team in the Orange, I think Syracuse ends up at the Pinstripe.

But if the expected outcomes happen Saturday, reading the tea leaves, I think we have a real chance to play somewhere else. Somewhere warmer.

We have no chance at the Orange, Reliaquest, Gator or Holiday. No way we go to any of those. With a couple of NC ACC teams in play, no way we go to the Duke Mayo bowl.

The Sun and the Military? We might have a shot at one of those.

Let's assume OSU goes to the Orange.

If so, I think we are looking at these programs assigned to these bowls. There might be a horse swap somewhere

Orange Clemson
Reliquest ND
Cheez It FSU
Holiday UNC
Gator Pitt
Mayo NC State

Then we have the Sun, Military, Pinstripe and Fenway.

Wake has a small fan base and an exam schedule conducive to an early bowl game. I think they go to Fenway (though they might end up at the Gasparilla instead). If they go to the Gasparilla, someone from outside the ACC replaces them. Maybe UConn.

That leaves Syracuse, Louisville and Duke to fight it out for the Sun, Military and Pinstripe.

Duke has a big alumni presence in NYC. I suspect they would be okay playing in the Pinstripe.

Guessing Syracuse would prefer the Military because it is a place they haven't played, and is in an important area for alums and recruiting. I think our players would be excited to play there. It is a Mob friendly environment.

I think UL would be thrilled to play anywhere except those bowls. They might actually prefer the Birmingham bowl to the Sun Bowl. It is less than a 5 1/2 drive to Birmingham from their campus.

Bottom line, I think Syracuse gets the Pinstripe, the Military or maybe the Sun. They might even get a choice of the Military or the Sun. Guessing they would prefer the Military but I really am not sure on this. Who makes the call if there is a choice? The players? The coaches? The AD?

Not 100% sure on this. Years ago, I believe Coach P used to let the players vote when there was a choice. Not sure if Coach Babers would do the same.

Quick update:

Some of the uninformed web sites that post bowl projections have picked up on what McMurphy has out there and they are slowly imitating what he has, with Clemson in the Orange, ND in the Reliaquest and Syracuse in the Pinstripe.

It should be noted that we need some specific results for Ohio State to be assigned to the Orange Bowl. ACC schools need USC to win the P12 championship and Michigan to win the B1G championship. An upset in one of those games would not be a good thing for Syracuse or most of the other ACC schools.

Even if something happens and the winner of the ACC championship game gets an SEC team in the Orange, I think Syracuse ends up at the Pinstripe.

But if the expected outcomes happen Saturday, reading the tea leaves, I think we have a real chance to play somewhere else. Somewhere warmer.

We have no chance at the Orange, Reliaquest, Gator or Holiday. No way we go to any of those. With a couple of NC ACC teams in play, no way we go to the Duke Mayo bowl.

The Sun and the Military? We might have a shot at one of those.

Let's assume OSU goes to the Orange.

If so, I think we are looking at these programs assigned to these bowls. There might be a horse swap somewhere

Orange Clemson
Reliquest ND
Cheez It FSU
Holiday UNC
Gator Pitt
Mayo NC State

Then we have the Sun, Military, Pinstripe and Fenway.

Wake has a small fan base and an exam schedule conducive to an early bowl game. I think they go to Fenway (though they might end up at the Gasparilla instead). If they go to the Gasparilla, someone from outside the ACC replaces them. Maybe UConn.

That leaves Syracuse, Louisville and Duke to fight it out for the Sun, Military and Pinstripe.

Duke has a big alumni presence in NYC. I suspect they would be okay playing in the Pinstripe.

Guessing Syracuse would prefer the Military because it is a place they haven't played, and is in an important area for alums and recruiting. I think our players would be excited to play there. It is a Mob friendly environment.

I think UL would be thrilled to play anywhere except those bowls. They might actually prefer the Birmingham bowl to the Sun Bowl. It is less than a 5 1/2 drive to Birmingham from their campus.

Bottom line, I think Syracuse gets the Pinstripe, the Military or maybe the Sun. They might even get a choice of the Military or the Sun. Guessing they would prefer the Military but I really am not sure on this. Who makes the call if there is a choice? The players? The coaches? The AD?

Not 100% sure on this. Years ago, I believe Coach P used to let the players vote when there was a choice. Not sure if Coach Babers would do the same.

Great breakdown. I think we were one win away from getting into that Holiday convo.

I think we are going to try to make the drive if its Military and probably, less happily, if its Pinstripe. BUT...I still would love these kids to head somewhere warm even if it means I am watching on TV

The pinstripe would suck. I don’t know anyone that wants to go there. But it’s not so much about the fans but about the team getting stuck in a cold weather bowl. Even if we sold fewer tickets, I want these kids to at least go to the Military Bowl.
I mean weather aside it is New York City I’m sure it wouldn’t be that hard to find some really fun stuff to do

I mean weather aside it is New York City I’m sure it wouldn’t be that hard to find some really fun stuff to do

It sucks because everything is fragmented.

Everything isn’t in one central spot, the Syracuse football community can’t all come together in one spot like they could at say the military bowl.

We’ve been to the pinstripe twice already pretty recently. And just played at Yankee Stadium against ND very recently.

The fan base wants something else, something new.

It’s like going to another game at the Dome. We’ve all done it before. It’s fun, it’s cool, but we want a new experience which is what makes the bowl game so exciting.

Give us the Military or Dukes Mayo

I know that a lot of people are pretty against the Pinstripe, and I respect all of your opinions on that but we haven’t been there in a decade.

None of the current players have ever played there, and the history of football in NYC is rather stunning; “The Greatest Game Ever Played” (IND vs NYG) which arguably popularized the NFL, ND vs Army’s Knute Rockne “win one for the Gipper” speech game at Yankee Stadium etc.

I don’t know anyone on the team, but why would the players choose Annapolis over NYC? None of these guys have played in the Pinstripe. Trade a trip to NYC for tiny (albeit nice) Annapolis? Why? To play in 10 degree warmer weather? Looking it up, Annapolis is actually 1 degree colder than NYC right now.

We SHOULD own the Pinstripe Bowl, as the “host“ school. Seems like some people here just don’t want to travel to NYC, which is totally fine, but no need to rationalize it with other reasons.

I don’t know anyone on the team, but why would the players choose Annapolis over NYC? None of these guys have played in the Pinstripe. Trade a trip to NYC for tiny (albeit nice) Annapolis? Why? To play in 10 degree warmer weather? Looking it up, Annapolis is actually 1 degree colder than NYC right now.

We SHOULD own the Pinstripe Bowl, as the “host“ school. Seems like some people here just don’t want to travel to NYC, which is totally fine, but no need to rationalize it with other reasons.
To be fair we do have a fair amount of players from the DC/ Baltimore area but I agree the weather would be negligible. It’s like the same but a farther drive.

To be fair we do have a fair amount of players from the DC/ Baltimore area but I agree the weather would be negligible. It’s like the same but a farther drive.
yeah, I can't imagine the players wanting Military over Pinstripe. a warm weather bowl would likely be the preference over both, although not sure about Gasparilla being preferred, probably just the other warm sites

yeah, I can't imagine the players wanting Military over Pinstripe. a warm weather bowl would likely be the preference over both, although not sure about Gasparilla being preferred, probably just the other warm sites
Agreed about the Gasparilla, that would require them traveling back home on Christmas Eve. Warm weather isn’t worth that, as that’s a legit sacrifice.

I know that a lot of people are pretty against the Pinstripe, and I respect all of your opinions on that but we haven’t been there in a decade.

None of the current players have ever played there, and the history of football in NYC is rather stunning; “The Greatest Game Ever Played” (IND vs NYG) which arguably popularized the NFL, ND vs Army’s Knute Rockne “win one for the Gipper” speech game at Yankee Stadium etc.
I am not anti Pinstripe. Would be happy if we get it again this year.

I went to it both times we played there. Had a good time both times.

I went to the Syracuse-Notre Dame in Yankee Stadium in November of 2018. That wasn't quite as fun. Eric got hurt early and we got killed.

I think the players should decide what bowl the team goes to and I don't care strongly where they choose. I would prefer Annapolis over NYC because I have never been there and it happens to be a venue I would love to visit. And because the game is played in a football stadium.

I like a lot about the Pinstripe but Yankee Stadium is a horrible place to watch a football game. It was designed for baseball.

The seats at the 50 yard line are where the foul poles are, so you are 30 yards from the field.

The only seats close to the field are where the end zones are. Great place to watch baseball games but awful for football.

Just checked what it looks like to fly to El Paso from Syracuse.

Oh my. Here are the best deals I could find.

El Paso.png

Syracuse Football if given the choice I think would pick the Florida bowl because of the recruiting angle. 2nd might be Annapolis.

Syracuse Football if given the choice I think would pick the Florida bowl because of the recruiting angle. 2nd might be Annapolis.
Either way no matter what happens I think ADJW is a straight up boss; treating the Fenway like Eli Manning did the Chargers on draft day.

Wildhack is like a honey badger, Wildhack don’t care.

I went to the Syracuse-Notre Dame in Yankee Stadium in November of 2018. That wasn't quite as fun. Eric got hurt early and we got killed.

I think the players should decide what bowl the team goes to and I don't care strongly where they choose. I would prefer Annapolis over NYC because I have never been there and it happens to be a venue I would love to visit. And because the game is played in a football stadium.

I like a lot about the Pinstripe but Yankee Stadium is a horrible place to watch a football game. It was designed for baseball.

The seats at the 50 yard line are where the foul poles are, so you are 30 yards from the field.

The only seats close to the field are where the end zones are. Great place to watch baseball games but awful for football.

View attachment 222663
Airfares are insane these days, I unfortunately am not surprised by what you posted. I actually feel “lucky” that it was “only” about $700 to fly my daughter from San Diego to Chicago for the holidays, non-stop, albeit the flight to Chicago arrives at 5AM

Wish the Pinstripe folks were able to work with the city to open up some place
Airfares are insane these days, I unfortunately am not surprised by what you posted. I actually feel “lucky” that it was “only” about $700 to fly my daughter from San Diego to Chicago for the holidays, non-stop, albeit the flight to Chicago arrives at 5AM
True.

Shuttling my son back and forth to U of AZ, We have been forced to book red eyes consistently from NJ to PHX not even to "save" but just to be able to afford it at all.

View attachment 222663
I've been to the Pinstripe three times, including both times SU has played. Not a big fan of playing football in a baseball stadium and the tailgating at Yankee Stadium is not great either. But I will be there again on Dec 29 if that is where we end up.

With Garrett and Sean having a month to get healthy, I would be very surprised if we didn't compete well.
Either we get a healthy Tucker or a healthy Allen. Either option beats what we’ve been trotting out there since late September.

Would like to play a P5 team. The only advantage of Pinstripe it seems.

Last edited:
It sucks because everything is fragmented.

Everything isn’t in one central spot, the Syracuse football community can’t all come together in one spot like they could at say the military bowl.

We’ve been to the pinstripe twice already pretty recently. And just played at Yankee Stadium against ND very recently.

The fan base wants something else, something new.

It’s like going to another game at the Dome. We’ve all done it before. It’s fun, it’s cool, but we want a new experience which is what makes the bowl game so exciting.

Give us the Military or Dukes Mayo
Interesting never been so I wouldn’t know

I prefer Annapolis to Pinstripe personally because it's in a football stadium, a stadium I've never been to, new bowl game and close to home.

We also have more kids on the two deep from the DMV than from NYC metro right now so would be cool for those kids I think.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom