SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

There’s some reports that Beck is not calling plays for the Bowl now on a quick google search
I am not seeing those reports but did not search Twitter. Can you post a few links?

All I come up with when I search Beck are posts about Mysterio being right, whatever that means.

Hopefully we can hit the ground running. His 1st two years at UVA were bad. The next 3 years were decent. Then last year was great. I think he is a good choice as OC, I just hope he can get it going in time to see results next season.

I thought I read somewhere that Elliot is trying to get Curt Luper from Missouri as his OC. They play Army in the Armed Forces Bowl on Wed. night.

The only thing I see is Anae left the program and not calling plays in the bowl. Beck making the calls.
An article on the all day site. Free side that said 3 assistants moving away from program initially stated he was not calling plays. Seems that it has been fixed to say he is now but still states Beck is done with program

An article on the all day site. Free side that said 3 assistants moving away from program initially stated he was not calling plays. Seems that it has been fixed to say he is now but still states Beck is done with program

And the 3rd guy is the RB coach going to Wash St.

So - so far it all seems pretty accurate.

Dino said he always wants to grow and be green, not red and rotten. Well, he's changed his defensive philosophy to a 3-3-5 and now is on the cusp of letting go of the offensive system that made him. I would say despite his record, he generally tries to correct major weaknesses each off-season.

This is true, but he's been fortunate to have a patient boss while he figures this all out.

2018 bought him a lot of goodwill.

Another article on that site says Beck is leaning toward staying and the Missouri guy is likely not coming to UVa as OC.

This is true, but he's been fortunate to have a patient boss while he figures this all out.

2018 bought him a lot of goodwill.

Completely agree. Very few FBS coaches would get the time that's he got with what we've seen since 2018.

Another article on that site says Beck is leaning toward staying and the Missouri guy is likely not coming to UVa as OC.
Good thing no matter how you slice this thing, this guy is highly desired

So we'd be on the market for a straight up QB coach then?

Not that I can recall.
Specifically, to what things are you referring?
It was sarcasm with some truth mixed in.

I have always hated that VPI got all of this recognition for "Beamer ball" when we were doing the same things just as well. At some point in the late 90's or early 00's there was a graphic during a game that showed blocked kicks over a certain number of years and we were either 1 ahead or 1 behind VPI. Kick returns for TDs was similar. We had guys at gunner like JR Johnson blowing guys up for years. We had kickers sending kick offs through the endzone. We used starters, they used starters.

Everyone talked about their special teams like they were so amazing because Beamer coached them himself. Ours were just as good without the HC needing to coach them.

I’m catching up on all of this but if true, this is much better than I expected by far. Make Dino a CEO as some of you stated and let the others handle the coaching etc..
So, in this idea of Dino as CEO HC...

That's exactly how Bronco runs stuff. Bronco is fascinated by corporate success and really into organizational structures and leadership. He's very much a CEO and really get jazzed about leadership by vision and things like that.

I mention this because Anae has proven to work very, very well under that type of HC.

Now, Dino will never go full Bronco. Bronco is pretty extreme in the way he thinks about that stuff.

But still. Could work.

If we don’t get Beck I would think so.
Maybe easier to find a pure QB as opposed to a QB/OC. But I wonder how many teams devote a full staff position just to QB. I get the impression it's more often OC/QB combined. So maybe the pool isn't as large.

Paging Cutcliffe. ;)

Hopefully we can hit the ground running. His 1st two years at UVA were bad. The next 3 years were decent. Then last year was great. I think he is a good choice as OC, I just hope he can get it going in time to see results next season.

That’s the problem with anyone we bring in. I’d be shocked if there’s a 180 done in year one…but if there’s a positive variable it’s the RB and an improved OL. That can sure help to have an immediate impact but if Shrader can’t hit the board side of a barn none of it will matter much. O is generally seen in year over year improvements.

Maybe easier to find a pure QB as opposed to a QB/OC. But I wonder how many teams devote a full staff position just to QB. I get the impression it's more often OC/QB combined. So maybe the pool isn't as large.

Paging Cutcliffe. ;)

I’m hoping that if Beck prefers to stay at UVa, the feeling isn’t reciprocal and the new HC wants to bring in all his own people.

I’m hoping that if Beck prefers to stay at UVa, the feeling isn’t reciprocal and the new HC wants to bring in all his own people.

Which is what I thought was going on but maybe there was a sit down with Beck and he was impressed with him. Giving him the chance to show what he can do as an OC. Who knows, hopefully we know soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom