SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I count five major wins for Dino this off-season if these two land:

1 + 2: the guys notes in this thread.

3: ST coach

4: Tucker returning

5: Mikel Jones returning

If Szmyt gets back to his former self, that’s six.

I don’t think we’re turning into Bama, but if we land these two, it sure feels we’re on a bit of a winning streak, an actual one, not one that I’m convincing myself of.

Can’t wait to see this become official.
I would add the DB transfer from Louisville as a positive too. I think we flipped him from Oregon St. too. Not bad. So, I count 7 wins.

Maybe easier to find a pure QB as opposed to a QB/OC. But I wonder how many teams devote a full staff position just to QB. I get the impression it's more often OC/QB combined. So maybe the pool isn't as large.

Paging Cutcliffe. ;)
There is zero chance Cutcliffe is coming to SYR as QB coach.

Completely agree. Very few FBS coaches would get the time that's he got with what we've seen since 2018.
How about none. Hopefully this all works out. Sure is looking up

I will remain hopeful that this works out as planned.

If it doesn’t, is Anae without Beck more like peanut butter without jelly (still awesome) or jelly without peanut butter (ok but not great).
I see what you're saying, and I think for us, this is awesome no matter what.

But obviously if we can get the really good QB coach too that's fantastic.

I see what you're saying, and I think for us, this is awesome no matter what.

But obviously if we can get the really good QB coach too that's fantastic.
Just another tidbit about Anae and Beck to wet your whistle:
Between 2013 and 2020, quarterbacks under Anae and Beck have averaged 3,200 passing yards and 524 rushing yards a season for an average of 3,725 yards of total offense.

Just another tidbit about Anae and Beck to wet your whistle:
Between 2013 and 2020, quarterbacks under Anae and Beck have averaged 3,200 passing yards and 524 rushing yards a season for an average of 3,725 yards of total offense.
Yeah that is basically unprecedented passing yardage for our program, forget the rushing yards added on.

I’m hoping that if Beck prefers to stay at UVa, the feeling isn’t reciprocal and the new HC wants to bring in all his own people.
Which is what I thought was going on but maybe there was a sit down with Beck and he was impressed with him. Giving him the chance to show what he can do as an OC. Who knows, hopefully we know soon.
or Missus Beck doesn't want to leave Charlottesville for Syracuse.

Reactions: CIL
Yeah that is basically unprecedented passing yardage for our program, forget the rushing yards added on.
Seems like I feel Dino's hand on Anae's shoulder guiding him to SU. Hope Beck is too a fine QB coach of fine talent:

Virginia offensive coordinator Robert Anae has left the UVA football program and will not coach or call plays in the Fenway Bowl on December 29th, as first reported by Mike Barber at the Richmond Times-Dispatch on Saturday. UVA quarterbacks coach Jason Beck will handle offensive play-calling in Virginia's bowl game against SMU.

Anae has been Virginia's offensive coordinator and primary play-caller since arriving in Charlottesville with Bronco Mendenhall in 2016. The Virginia offense has been one of the nation's best this season, ranking third among FBS programs in total offense.

Jason Beck also came with Mendenhall and Anae from BYU and has been UVA's quarterbacks coach since 2016. Beck has overseen the development of three consecutive record-breaking Cavalier quarterbacks in Kurt Benkert, Bryce Perkins, and Brennan Armstrong, who shattered several UVA passing records this season. Armstrong was tops in the ACC and second in the nation with 4,449 passing yards this season.

The Fenway Bowl will be the last game for Bronco Mendenhall as head coach of the Virginia football program. UVA announced the hiring of Clemson offensive coordinator Tony Elliott as Virginia's next head coach on December 10th.

It remains unclear who, if any, of Mendenhall's coaching staff will be retained on Elliott's staff at Virginia, but Elliott has indicated that those staff members will be given every opportunity to be evaluated to potentially remain at UVA going forward.

If we get Beck we have a very, very good QB coach and as someone earlier mentioned someone who can step in easily as OC if Anae leaves or retires. It would seem he's ready to be an OC now which is somewhat of a concern:

Beck, who is expected to call plays for Virginia in the Fenway Bowl on Dec. 29, is also deeply rooted in the Mendenhall tree. He's coached quarterbacks at UVA since 2016, mentoring Bryce Perkins and Brennan Armstrong, after working with Taysom Hill and Tanner Mangum at BYU from 2013-15. A former Cougars quarterback himself from 2014-16, Beck also worked at Division II Simon Fraser (OC, 2012) and FCS Weber State (QBs, 2009-11) after GA stints at BYU (2008) and LSU (2008).

In 2020 Brennan Armstrong, under Beck’s guidance, tied for the FBS lead with most single-season games (6) with 200+ yards passing and 45+ yards rushing, tied for the FBS lead with most single-season games (4) with 200+ yards passing, 45+ yards rushing yards, 1+ passing touchdowns and 1+ rushing touchdowns, going 4-0 in such games and was No. 3 in the ACC and No. 18 in the nation with 296.6 yards of total offense a game. Armstrong was also No. 8 in the nation among non-option quarterbacks with 552 yards rushing and No. 3 in the ACC and No. 25 in the nation with 15.6 points responsible for per game

Prior to Armstrong, Beck guided Bryce Perkins’ electric career at UVA. Perkins graduated as the program’s career record holder for total offense (7,910) after playing only two seasons in Charlottesville (2018-19). Under Beck, Perkins also owns the top two spots in the Cavalier record book for single-season and single-game total offense. His program record for single-season total offense (4,307) in 2019 ranked No. 6 nationally and No. 1 in the ACC. Perkins also set the single-season passing record at UVA with 3,538 passing yards in 2019, which ranked No. 16 in the nation and No. 3 in the ACC. Perkins was a special quarterback for the Cavaliers as he and Oklahoma’s Jalen Hurts were the only players in the nation in 2019 with 3,000+ passing yards and 700+ rushing yards. In 2018, Perkins and 2018 Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray (Oklahoma) were the only two players in the nation with 2,600+ passing yards and 900+ rushing yards. Perkins was the only college player between 2018-19 to accumulate 6,000+ passing yards and 1,500+ rushing yards. Perkins also left UVA the program’s all-time leader in career rushing by a quarterback (1,692) and games of 100+ rushing yards by a quarterback (7).

I’m hoping that if Beck prefers to stay at UVa, the feeling isn’t reciprocal and the new HC wants to bring in all his own people.

If your previous post is correct, then he has an offer to stay at UVA.

If your previous post is correct, then he has an offer to stay at UVA.
So if so, the question would then be in what capacity? If it's not as OC I would think there is at least a 50/50 shot we could reel him in given his relationship with Anae, perhaps higher. If OC it's highly likely he would stay. It makes you wonder if it depends on how he calls the bowl game.

We have to hope the OC is a done deal. Thats obviously the key

If it's a package deal we may have to wait until after UVA's bowl game.
Agree. Guessing Beck is probably focusing on the bowl game right now. The last thing he wants to do is distract the attention and focus the UVa players have on that game. It is bad enough that they just lost their OC.

I doubt there is traction here, at least in public, until after the bowl game. That date is December 29th.

If your dream is an announcement Anae and Beck are locked up before Christmas, I am sorry to say it is unlikely to happen.

Guessing they won't even announce Robert until they know for certain the status of Jason. That would just drive a lot of questions they won't want to answer just yet.

My thinking is if they enter an agreement with Robert and it is announced before Christmas, it is probably because they have given up on also bringing Jason into the fold.

It might come down to whether he would be happier being an OC in name under Elliott, forced to used Elliott's crappy scheme (awful X and O coach), or would he prefer to work under Anae, using a fusion of the offense he knows and loves with the Baber offense? He wouldn't get to be the OC right away but that would come in a year or two (Happy Birthday Robert; believe he turns 63 today) and then he could be the man.

His wife is from Cali. They have 3 young kids. CNY is the best place in the world to raise children, though I am sure Charlottesville is decent as long as you like to sweat like a pig all summer.

Last edited:
Agree. Guessing Beck is probably focusing on the bowl game right now. The last thing he wants to do is distract the attention and focus the UVa players have on that game. It is bad enough that they just lost their OC.

I doubt there is traction here, at least in public, until after the bowl game. That date is December 29th.

If your dream is an announcement Anae and Beck are locked up before Christmas, I am sorry to say it is unlikely to happen.

Guessing they won't even announce Robert until they know for certain the status of Jason. That would just drive a lot of questions they won't want to answer just yet.
FD8CDCE7-DE31-4035-8C03-78692BCA5F15.jpeg

My thinking is if they enter an agreement with Robert and it is announced before Christmas, it is probably because they have given up on also bringing Jason into the fold.

It might come down to whether he would be happier being an OC in name under Elliott, forced to used Elliott's crappy scheme (awful X and O coach), or would he prefer to work under Anae, using a fusion of the offense he knows and loves with the Baber offense? He wouldn't get to be the OC right away but that would come in a year or two (Happy Birthday Robert; believe he turns 63 today) and then he could be the man.

His wife is from Cali. They have 3 young kids. CNY is the best place in the world to raise children, though I am sure Charlottesville is decent as long as you like to sweat like a pig all summer.
I think the leak to Thamel is probably a bit strategic for portal/recruiting purposes during the quiet period.

How many position coaches stay with their old school to coach in the bowl game? Slim to none. …why do we seem to be the only school this happens to. Give him an extra 50 grand and he can start moving in next week. We better outbid UVA on this one, just pay the man and give him some future assurances.

How many position coaches stay with their old school to coach in the bowl game? Slim to none. …why do we seem to be the only school this happens to. Give him an extra 50 grand and he can start moving in next week. We better outbid UVA on this one, just pay the man and give him some future assurances.
I think it's pretty common for quite a few members of the prior staff to stick around for the bowl game when a HC leaves. It may be weirder that the OC left before the bowl game since they're often the one acting in the HC role during the interim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom