SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I think it's pretty common for quite a few members of the prior staff to stick around for the bowl game when a HC leaves. It may be weirder that the OC left before the bowl game since they're often the one acting in the HC role during the interim.
Elliott could have told Anae he was definitely hiring a new OC, so Anae left immediately to find a new job. Maybe Elliott is dangling the OC carrot to Beck, which is why he has stayed so far.

Elliott could have told Anae he was definitely hiring a new OC, so Anae left immediately to find a new job. Maybe Elliott is dangling the OC carrot to Beck, which is why he has stayed so far.

Probably the most likely scenario. That said, I don't think Anae at his age is much interested in working for a first time HC. Bronco had a pretty tight staff from what it seems like. Beck is leveraging to find a better position or more $ as most would. On the flip side, neither may want to work for Elliot. Bronco may have said, coach this one last game for me.

give it a week. it will play out for sure

If I am Beck's agent, I am saying my client will go to whoever is willing to make him an OC. Commit to that and show us the contract.

I think both programs really need a guy who can develop QBs like Beck can. Is one willing to commit to this?

There are a bunch of other OC jobs open and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of other P5 programs are also sniffing around here...

If I am Beck's agent, I am saying my client will go to whoever is willing to make him an OC. Commit to that and show us the contract.

I think both programs really need a guy who can develop QBs like Beck can. Is one willing to commit to this?

There are a bunch of other OC jobs open and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of other P5 programs are also sniffing around here...

Makes you wonder if Beck's agent leaked it to Thamel. I'm sure Beck is no surprise to anyone, everyone knows how good UVA's offense and Armstrong were this year. But you get the name flowing in conversation and the sniffs come quicker.

GS can throw. Needs better WR's that can run the proper routes and obviously a new OC will go a long way since the play calling was some of the worst I have ever witnessed.
he really needs to be coached up to fix is footwork issues and his balance. when he throws on time he does well enough

It’s tough to get a read on the Virginia football board on the Beck topic. Every single discussion quickly turns into who has the best BBQ….what kind of BBQ is best…..whose momma makes the best sides….etc. I learned a lot about BBQ.

he‘s not good passing, all that other stuff is secondary
I think with a good coach and scheme, he can be fine. That's an oversimplification. It isn't as if he hasn't shown glimpses, and his ball is a fluttering duck.

His completion % was 58% on 153 passes as a true freshman at Mississippi State. This year he was at 52%. There are a number of different factors that go along with this.

But if he was completing 58% of his passes, I don't think many would have an issue with his passing. Dungey was at 60.9% his senior year. Certainly attainable given an offense that plays to his strengths.

Last edited:
So how do you know it was a bad pass or a WR cutting his route (see Queely)
How many drops did they have
Sure GS did not have a great year but to say the other stuff is secondary is just not true

THIS.

GS isn’t an amazing passer.

But at least 2-3x a game, he’d hit a receiver IN THE HANDS and they would drop it.

Drops happen.
But at P5 level, it shouldn’t be as often as they did this past season.
Even if only 1-2 fewer drops happen per game, that boosts his completion % closer to 60, and we likely win at least 1 more game.

Edited to add: and just imagine if we had a WR or 2 who could make the tough catches?
At least on occasion??
My kingdom for an AET, Ish, Custis, or Trishton.

So - as “busted” as Shrader’s passing is/was -
it’s also THIIIIIIIS close to being adequate & sufficient for the offense to function well.

I think with a good coach an scheme, he can be fine. That's an oversimplification. It isn't as if he hasn't shown glimpses, and his ball is a fluttering duck.

His completion % was 58% on 153 passes as a true freshman at Mississippi State. This year he was at 52%. There are a number of different factors that go along with this.

But if he was completing 58% of his passes, I don't think many would have an issue with his passing. Dungey was at 60.9% his senior year. Certainly attainable given an offense that plays to his strengths.
Post Va Tech ( where we saw GS lying on the ground in pain for about 2 minutes at the end after taking a shot to the mid secton/ribs) I believe Garrett was playing hurt. He went from his best passing day in Blacksburg to his worst against BC , Louisville and NC state and was noticeably better against Pitt. Point being I think he can be a decent passer whereas many on here have written him off.

Last edited:
I think with a good coach an scheme, he can be fine. That's an oversimplification. It isn't as if he hasn't shown glimpses, and his ball is a fluttering duck.

I think one of GS's most noticeable technique issues is his failure to "stand tall" in the pocket. He tends to spread out too far which inhibits his ability to step into his throws. A quality QB coach should be able to train GS and correct his lower body/footwork issues.

We have had 2 guys at the finish line that left us at the alter.
Lets close the OC.

The fact that we can't close on hires like this is pretty disheartening.

Sorry but the wait a week when its been leaked to the media routine is BS.

I like the hire because its 'safe' but we must really lack muscle where it matters.

THIS.

GS isn’t an amazing passer.

But at least 2-3x a game, he’d hit a receiver IN THE HANDS and they would drop it.

Drops happen.
But at P5 level, it shouldn’t be as often as they did this past season.
Even if only 1-2 fewer drops happen per game, that boosts his completion % closer to 60, and we likely win at least 1 more game.

Edited to add: and just imagine if we had a WR or 2 who could make the tough catches?
At least on occasion??
My kingdom for an AET, Ish, Custis, or Trishton.

So - as “busted” as Shrader’s passing is/was -
it’s also THIIIIIIIS close to being adequate & sufficient for the offense to function well.
If he had WR’s that consistently helped him, like Dungey had, it would make a difference. 3-4 catches instead of drops a game makes a difference. There were a couple of games where he threw catchable TD passes that were dropped.

Our WR hands and blocking left a lot to be desired this year after Taj opted out.

The fact that we can't close on hires like this is pretty disheartening.

Sorry but the wait a week when its been leaked to the media routine is BS.

I like the hire because its 'safe' but we must really lack muscle where it matters.
There could be 20 reasons why they are not making the announcement yet having nothing to do with SUs "muscle"

If he had WR’s that consistently helped him, like Dungey had, it would make a difference. 3-4 catches instead of drops a game makes a difference. There were a couple of games where he threw catchable TD passes that were dropped.

Our WR hands and blocking left a lot to be desired this year after Taj opted out.

Eh, Taj’s hands and effort were often meh, at best.

Once the ball was in his hands, he was a potential game changer every time.
It’s just that he wasn’t awesome at the ‘getting the ball info his hands’ part.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom