SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I think with a good coach and scheme, he can be fine. That's an oversimplification. It isn't as if he hasn't shown glimpses, and his ball is a fluttering duck.

His completion % was 58% on 153 passes as a true freshman at Mississippi State. This year he was at 52%. There are a number of different factors that go along with this.

But if he was completing 58% of his passes, I don't think many would have an issue with his passing. Dungey was at 60.9% his senior year. Certainly attainable given an offense that plays to his strengths.

Our Bowl teams in the 2000s had:

2018 60.9%
2013 61.2%
2012 62.4%
2010 56.4%
2004 58.1%
2001 50%

I think we will be fine with Shrader. Might even average over 30 ppg.

For you Shrader can throw guys go watch the NC State highlight at the 14:24 minute mark of the 3rd Quarter. One of the worst passes I've ever seen thrown. Not anyone within 20 yards of the receiver and Shrader missed him by 6 yards.

It’s tough to get a read on the Virginia football board on the Beck topic. Every single discussion quickly turns into who has the best BBQ….what kind of BBQ is best…..whose momma makes the best sides….etc. I learned a lot about BBQ.

So much BBQ talk...

For you Shrader can throw guys go watch the NC State highlight at the 14:24 minute mark of the 3rd Quarter. One of the worst passes I've ever seen thrown. Not anyone within 20 yards of the receiver and Shrader missed him by 6 yards.
Watch the Virginia Tech game where he hits Alford on a dime for a game winning TD and tell me he can’t throw.

Our Bowl teams in the 2000s had:

2018 60.9%
2013 61.2%
2012 62.4%
2010 56.4%
2004 58.1%
2001 50%

I think we will be fine with Shrader. Might even average over 30 ppg.

You, with your facts & data!
There’s no place for that here!!
:p

Just looking at our last 3 bowl seasons is illuminating:
2012 - Nassib was our best pocket passing QB in ages, and got drafted & held Eli’s clipboard for a few seasons.
2013 - Rel was mostly a running QB who occasionally threw. Hmmm…
2018 - the Eric Dungey Experience.
Also more of a run-first guy than a pure passer.

So, unless we’re gonna have a future NFL QB standing behind a line with a future NFL first round draft pick anchoring it, it seems like we should aim for more like ‘13 & ‘18 in how we approach things.

Shrader can absolutely do that for us.
He may not be Dungey, but he could certainly be as good as Rel was for us that year.

I think that is an example of him not understanding at all how to get his feet set.

Watch the Virginia Tech game where he hits Alford on a dime for a game winning TD and tell me he can’t throw.
knowing he was about to get drilled .

GS can throw. Needs better WR's that can run the proper routes and obviously a new OC will go a long way since the play calling was some of the worst I have ever witnessed.
Pinning those ground balls he throws on the receivers?

I've never seen someone at this level miss WRs as badly as GS did.

I don't think the guys behind him at any level are any good so I expect him to be the starter.

Ideally he'd be used like Notre Dame and Michigan use their 2nd running QBs.

WIth how bad our WRs are you can make the case that no matter what GS is our best option due to running ability at least until he gets dinged up enough that it affects his throwing.

THIS.

GS isn’t an amazing passer.

But at least 2-3x a game, he’d hit a receiver IN THE HANDS and they would drop it.

Drops happen.
But at P5 level, it shouldn’t be as often as they did this past season.
Even if only 1-2 fewer drops happen per game, that boosts his completion % closer to 60, and we likely win at least 1 more game.

Edited to add: and just imagine if we had a WR or 2 who could make the tough catches?
At least on occasion??
My kingdom for an AET, Ish, Custis, or Trishton.

So - as “busted” as Shrader’s passing is/was -
it’s also THIIIIIIIS close to being adequate & sufficient for the offense to function well.
Ish 2.0 please. That dude did not care who was across from him... he would get that ball.

No doubt he looked really bad at times especially in that late stretch of games. He also had moments where he looked pretty good. Hope is that a good QB coach can make him more consistent. He doesn't have to be great with 34 at his side and his own running ability.

Ish 2.0 please. That dude did not care who was across from him... he would get that ball.

Yup.

And AET, who made every 50/50 ball into an 80/20 or 90/10 in his favor.

Sometimes dudes just have to make a play.

Our dudes mostly didn’t this past season.

EVERY ACC team we played against had at least 1-2 guys who made a tough grab for them.
Hell - one of those teams had a TE who lit us up like he was the next Gronk or Kelce, and he was basically Just A Guy, who made some big plays.

I don’t really recall any of our receivers making a crazy tough clutch catch for us, other than the VT finale.

Pinning those ground balls he throws on the receivers?
Yes, most of those were on the WR as they were suppose break back to the ball. That is how Dino's scheme has always been. It's either a sideline pass or a hook or a hitch. Rarely did you see a WR slant or post (middle of the field).

His bad misses far and away out number his on a dime throws.

Yes he was victimized by a dozen drops over the course of the season but he's one of the worst passing quarterbacks I've ever seen play for Syracuse. He was barely better than RJ Anderson's sophomore season. Hopefully Shrader will make a huge jump the way RJ did.

RJ sophomore season 72-144, .50% 1,123yards 5TD 2 INT - rating 124.2
Shrader 123-234 .525% 1,445yards 9TD 4INT - rating 113.5
Nunes sophomore season 94-154 .51% 1,366yards 8TD 14INT - rating 134.5
Andrew Robison sophomore season 154-292 .527% 2,192yards 13TD 7INT - rating 125.7

Last edited:
THIS.

GS isn’t an amazing passer.

But at least 2-3x a game, he’d hit a receiver IN THE HANDS and they would drop it.

Drops happen.
But at P5 level, it shouldn’t be as often as they did this past season.
Even if only 1-2 fewer drops happen per game, that boosts his completion % closer to 60, and we likely win at least 1 more game.

Edited to add: and just imagine if we had a WR or 2 who could make the tough catches?
At least on occasion??
My kingdom for an AET, Ish, Custis, or Trishton.

So - as “busted” as Shrader’s passing is/was -
it’s also THIIIIIIIS close to being adequate & sufficient for the offense to function well.
I think he’ll always struggle with consistency and accuracy, but can improve. I think he can improve enough for us to be very dangerous on offense.

But we can’t put all of the issues passing on playcalling, WR, or QB. It’s all of those things.

At least on occasion??
I’m holding out hope that the Alford “out of bounds” catch is a harbinger of things to come from that young man.

Go watch the Pitt game and tell me how that wasn't a pretty good passing day.

Edit
2016 vs BC was the last time we had a QB with a higher rating in a P5 game than Shrader vs Pitt, where he was under constant pressure and was throwing to that group of WRs.

Last edited:
Yes, most of those were on the WR as they were suppose break back to the ball. That is how Dino's scheme has always been. It's either a sideline pass or a hook or a hitch. Rarely did you see a WR slant or post (middle of the field).
This isn’t accurate

“He can throw, remember that dime to x”
“He can’t throw, remember that time he missed x by 6 yards”

Inconsistent. Some of that will be fixable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom