SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

Strong sample size

Well it's that one throw that summarizes his passing ability. I defended his throwing early on but as the season went it became indefensible. I personally fell off the Shrader train with that throw.

I think one of GS's most noticeable technique issues is his failure to "stand tall" in the pocket. He tends to spread out too far which inhibits his ability to step into his throws. A quality QB coach should be able to train GS and correct his lower body/footwork issues.
He was so spread out because he was chasing slow, errant snaps every series. We don’t talk about it nearly enough but that kills rhythm and balance. And it hinders routes, as well. That needs to change this year.

Go watch the Pitt game and tell me how that wasn't a pretty good passing day.

Edit
2016 vs BC was the last time we had a QB with a higher rating in a P5 game than Shrader vs Pitt, where he was under constant pressure and was throwing to that group of WRs.

He did look like your everyday average D1 QB should look that day and the avg/completion were very good. Fingers crossed we get Beck and Armstrong comes with him. If not it's a wing and a prayer he does a 180 or that Morgan/Lamson outright jump him.

Our Bowl teams in the 2000s had:

2018 60.9%
2013 61.2%
2012 62.4%
2010 56.4%
2004 58.1%
2001 50%

I think we will be fine with Shrader. Might even average over 30 ppg.
Armstrong in 2020.
2,117 yards58.6 pct18 TD's11 Int's90 long19 sacks138.9 pass rating65.8 QBR

He wasnt good. I watched a couple games. I seriously thought UVA put their slot Wr at QB. Im not saying Shrader is gonna make the jump like Armstrong did but if we get Beck I feel confident he will improve in a lot of statistical areas.

Last edited:
He did look like your everyday average D1 QB should look that day and the avg/completion were very good. Fingers crossed we get Beck and Armstrong comes with him. If not it's a wing and a prayer he does a 180 or that Morgan/Lamson outright jump him.

It was the 2nd best SU passing day in the last 6 years (I didn't go back further). The O looked very different that day. We saw patterns and plays that we hadn't used all season. Wonder if the play calling was Dino.

Eh, Taj’s hands and effort were often meh, at best.

Once the ball was in his hands, he was a potential game changer every time.
It’s just that he wasn’t awesome at the ‘getting the ball info his hands’ part.
Agreed. Taj dropped plenty of balls that hit him in his hands. Often while streaking down sidelines headed for 6.

Amazingly the QB’s that threw those balls never once threw their hands up in the air to pout, complain and show up their WR.

Whatever configuration it needs to be one that showcases Tucker and puts him in position to gain even more yards each game! We have waited too long for a back like him and decision to return should be supported by showcasing his talents!

It was the 2nd best SU passing day in the last 6 years (I didn't go back further). The O looked very different that day. We saw patterns and plays that we hadn't used all season. Wonder if the play calling was Dino.

Yeah I wondered about the play calling to that day.

Look, Shrader is not a good passing QB but there are a lot of things he can certainly improve and be coached up on. He needs to at least be an average thrower or we're too easy to defend.

The fact that we can't close on hires like this is pretty disheartening.

Sorry but the wait a week when its been leaked to the media routine is BS.

I like the hire because its 'safe' but we must really lack muscle where it matters.
Number one, it hasn’t been a week.

Number two, what would you suggest? Pulling the offer like the used car salesman always does on the bball recruiting board?

Number three, nobody cares about our personal timelines.

or Missus Beck doesn't want to leave Charlottesville for Syracuse.
This is discussed on our board as a strong magnet for keeping him at UVa if offered the OC job. He has 3 children, all born at UVa Hospital and his wife loves being in Central VA..

For you Shrader can throw guys go watch the NC State highlight at the 14:24 minute mark of the 3rd Quarter. One of the worst passes I've ever seen thrown. Not anyone within 20 yards of the receiver and Shrader missed him by 6 yards.
That settles it.

This is discussed on our board as a strong magnet for keeping him at UVa if offered the OC job. He has 3 children, all born at UVa Hospital and his wife loves being in Central VA..
Big risk I think for a first-time P5 HC, at a respectable school, to also take on a first-time OC. I'm very curious to see how it plays out.

You, with your facts & data!
There’s no place for that here!!
:p

Just looking at our last 3 bowl seasons is illuminating:
2012 - Nassib was our best pocket passing QB in ages, and got drafted & held Eli’s clipboard for a few seasons.
2013 - Rel was mostly a running QB who occasionally threw. Hmmm…
2018 - the Eric Dungey Experience.
Also more of a run-first guy than a pure passer.

So, unless we’re gonna have a future NFL QB standing behind a line with a future NFL first round draft pick anchoring it, it seems like we should aim for more like ‘13 & ‘18 in how we approach things.

Shrader can absolutely do that for us.
He may not be Dungey, but he could certainly be as good as Rel was for us that year.
I had to do a Google search to figure out who Rel was. I've never seen Hunt referred to as that before.

Elliott could have told Anae he was definitely hiring a new OC, so Anae left immediately to find a new job. Maybe Elliott is dangling the OC carrot to Beck, which is why he has stayed so far.
Maybe Elliot told Beck that the bowl game is his OC audition

Go watch the Pitt game and tell me how that wasn't a pretty good passing day.

Edit
2016 vs BC was the last time we had a QB with a higher rating in a P5 game than Shrader vs Pitt, where he was under constant pressure and was throwing to that group of WRs.

That’s not completely true using PFF. While that was Shraders best game, Dungey senior year he had a much better grade vs. BC when he went 21-34 and 3 TDs. Both he and Tommy also had higher grades in other games but against cupcakes like Albany this year and Colgate/C Conn St with Dungey. As others have mentioned the key to Shrader next year is some mechanical things and to become more consistent. He had the great passing game versus Pitt and a very good one vs VT. But besides those 2 he had a couple that were kind of average and the rest below average including one that was very very bad.

Maybe Elliot told Beck that the bowl game is his OC audition

Or told him that so he had someone to call plays for the bowl game and then after tell him he doesn’t think it’s going to work.

That’s not completely true using PFF. While that was Shraders best game, Dungey senior year he had a much better grade vs. BC when he went 21-34 and 3 TDs. Both he and Tommy also had higher grades in other games but against cupcakes like Albany this year and Colgate/C Conn St with Dungey. As others have mentioned the key to Shrader next year is some mechanical things and to become more consistent. He had the great passing game versus Pitt and a very good one vs VT. But besides those 2 he had a couple that were kind of average and the rest below average including one that was very very bad.

I was just using QB rating. Obviously different metrics will have different results. And I was looking at P5 only.

I do not think Shrader is a good passer by any means. But some people here are over stating that fact and turning it into a major problem.

I was just using QB rating. Obviously different metrics will have different results. And I was looking at P5 only.

I do not think Shrader is a good passer by any means. But some people here are over stating that fact and turning it into a major problem.
I am not a football analyst like some of our posters, but it seems to me that he suffers from lack of consistent fundamentals. When everything aligns, he throws a really nice ball and has some zip on it. But, has inconsistent form and when it is off, he throws a crappy ball. Guys like Tommy have had training from an early age to have that great form so that he can hit all the throws. I don't know if Shrader has had that kind of training, I sure hope not, because if he has and he still is this inconsistent, then we are screwed. Anyway, I am hoping with a good QB coach, they can get his mechanics figured out and make him a good passer.

I am not a football analyst like some of our posters, but it seems to me that he suffers from lack of consistent fundamentals. When everything aligns, he throws a really nice ball and has some zip on it. But, has inconsistent form and when it is off, he throws a crappy ball.
No, you are right. He can improve mechanics. Decision making can improve with a good system put in place.

Not that it makes a big difference, but I think his daughter was born in Utah and maybe the twin boys also. His daughter is listed in his old BYU bio. I saw this in a comment on the wahoo 24-7 site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom