SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

SU Targeting Robert Anae as New OC / Jason Beck as New QB Coach per Thamel and ESPN

I know it doesn’t work this way but UVA’s offense (3) with SU’s defense (20) this year is in the playoffs.

I agree to pair those guys with White and the new specials coach, open the check book.

This is Marrone, Nathaniel, and Shafer level stuff.

Did you see Hackett was mentioned as a possible candidate for a HC job? Maybe Jacksonville.

He hit him in stride while getting crushed. He had to catch it over the DB because that’s where he was on the field. It was a great play by Alford but the ball was exactly where it needed to be while having a DL crushing him.

But yeah you’re right it’s all on Alford :confused:

So, if that is proof he is a good passer, what about the terrible throws when there is no pressure.
Kid pumped life into the program and played hard, but let’s not convince ourselves he is something he is not to try to disguise positional needs.

So, if that is proof he is a good passer, what about the terrible throws when there is no pressure.
Kid pumped life into the program and played hard, but let’s not convince ourselves he is something he is not to try to disguise positional needs.
If you read the thread this was originally in response to a post about a horrible throw of his effectively defining him. I’ve already said he throws good and awful throws and needs to work on his consistency. Preaching to the choir.

I know it doesn’t work this way but UVA’s offense (3) with SU’s defense (20) this year is in the playoffs.

I agree to pair those guys with White and the new specials coach, open the check book.

Completely agree.

I mean….isn’t it possible that this is a done deal and we are more than okay with Beck showing what he can do as a play caller?
As some have said, Anae is 63 and might want this to be his last stop. Bring Beck with him to take over as OC when he leaves. If things work out, Dino survives with a new offense.
Then with Beck you could have your transition when Dino is ready to leave. Would be the first successful transition, since Mac to P. Late in my life would love to see this, especially for the younger fans. I've had the chance to have been here since Ben.

Ahhh. The halcyon day of 8-5. That was a cool month that one year.

Name a better staff since

how many more than 8 win seasons have there been in the last twenty?

get a new act
That is true.

It’s just that it was such a short run of “hey we’re good now and now it’s over”.

2018 was a heck of year though, overall - wall to wall other than one ND game where Eric got hurt early. That staff did a heck of a job.

I mean….isn’t it possible that this is a done deal and we are more than okay with Beck showing what he can do as a play caller?

Oh for sure. I wasn't trying to come off being pissed about the announcement coming later. As of now. It's all rumors. But the Twitter following is a great indication. Nice work everyone. Lol.

Their HC just left. He agreed to OC the bowl game. Like others said - It's a dead period and plenty of time to recruit.

It's a pair of home run hires and honestly Dino and ADJW are almost batting 1000% this offseason.

Plus, we know the character aspect of this is something Dino is big on too in terms of how coaches leave players given his departure from BG. It wouldn’t surprise me that he was OK with and fully pushed for this for Beck too.

Some of y'all must have forgotten that when Babers took the SU job he left Ward behind to coach BGSU in their bowl game. Ward joined the SU staff after the bowl game.

Beck coaching the UVA offense in their bowl game and then joining the SU staff would not be a new or novel idea.

This came out late yesterday.

Asked about Anae’s early departure from UVA, Mendenhall said, “Timing. A lot of times the timing and urgency to get to a place and establish and go is, yeah, sometimes that’s just what has to happen. We all control what we can to the best level that we can. But this provided a great opportunity for Jason, and for him to show his level of preparation and readiness. It can’t all be orchestrated. I don’t get to choose how it all works, but what I am comfortable is someone steps up and I’m happy for Robert. The offense … I’m not sure it’s not the best-ever here. And the friendship. And the loyalty. And the work. He’ll be missed by me and I’m totally supportive and a fan of where he’ll end up, whenever that announcement is.”

That makes it sound like Anae requested to leave. Interesting. I wonder if there is bad blood between Elliott and Robert?

Asked about Anae’s early departure from UVA, Mendenhall said, “Timing. A lot of times the timing and urgency to get to a place and establish and go is, yeah, sometimes that’s just what has to happen. We all control what we can to the best level that we can. But this provided a great opportunity for Jason, and for him to show his level of preparation and readiness. It can’t all be orchestrated. I don’t get to choose how it all works, but what I am comfortable is someone steps up and I’m happy for Robert. The offense … I’m not sure it’s not the best-ever here. And the friendship. And the loyalty. And the work. He’ll be missed by me and I’m totally supportive and a fan of where he’ll end up, whenever that announcement is.”

That makes it sound like Anae requested to leave. Interesting. I wonder if there is bad blood between Elliott and Robert?
This is a needle thread b/c the current guy is retiring and the other guys want to get situated and start recruiting.

Hopefully by next Monday we'll have new OC/QB coach and they can start working on 22. The season needs alot of work for us to get into position of success

"Whenever that announcement is" I took to mean that he's already got a new gig and they're just waiting to announce it. That's, at least, what I want it to mean.

Name a better staff since

how many more than 8 win seasons have there been in the last twenty?

get a new act

That staff had the potential to really have some nice seasons moving forward. We could have had a nice little run before the staff was picked apart by bigger schools. Could have altered where we are today as a program.

That read to me like Anae left to get a jump on his new job. "A lot of times the timing and urgency to get to a place and establish and go is, yeah, sometimes that’s just what has to happen. "

and the last line read to me like Bronco knows where he is going because I don't think it's natural to phrase it this way if you don't know where your friend is going and what's next for them. "I’m totally supportive and a fan of where he’ll end up, whenever that announcement is.”

Last edited:
We made the wrong continuity hire back then.
If you can find anyone on this board at the time screaming for Hackett to be elevated, I would like to see it.

Revisionist history is great, but nobody was clamoring for Hackett. He was 33 years old at the time. Point to Lincoln Riley all you want, but that wasn’t reality in 2012.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom