Summer Workouts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

I don’t believe Mintz comes here without a starting spot. We’ll see

Could be. That would be my first inclination but it’s not gonna be a shocker to me if Sy starts at PG especially early. As you know, Mintz is a combo. Might take some time, might not. Time will tell how it all shakes out. Maybe JB shocks the world and starts 3 guards.

Could be. That would be my first inclination but it’s not gonna be a shocker to me if Sy starts at PG especially early. As you know, Mintz is a combo. Might take some time, might not. Time will tell how it all shakes out. Maybe JB shocks the world and starts 3 guards.

He did mention playing mtm maybe he breaks form and was serious?

If you want to say Symir will get more playing time than Mintz, so be it, I’m talking strictly about starting.

When does Judah get here? I know he was going to run late from stuff posted before. Assume soon right?

If you want to say Symir will get more playing time than Mintz, so be it, I’m talking strictly about starting.

I didn’t mention PT.

Ditto.

Just rewatched the FSU ACCT game a few days ago, and Symir was really, really good. Scored in transition, had some outstanding passes off of penetration, got into the lane and hit turnaround jumpers, etc. Showed a confident handle and got to the spots on the floor where he wanted to go.

He was outstanding in the last two games, against FSU and Duke.

View attachment 217501

16 points and 20 assists in two games. Didn't shoot well against Duke, acknowledged.

I -- like many -- am VERY excited about Judah Mintz, and what he'll bring to the table. But it's interesting that nobody is talking about Symir. Would not be surprised at all if he starts. He's experienced, and that late stretch of performances is something to build on heading into the off-season.

And while I'm hoping that Joe has a big senior season, I am actually more excited to see what Symir / Mintz might do playing together on BOTH ends.

True lead guards are worth their weight in gold. Wouldn't remotely be surprised to see Symir have a big two years playing for his hometown team.
I would be shocked if Symir started over Mintz. Shocked. Mintz is really, really good.

Mintz didn't need to be guaranteed a starting spot. He is just better. The only reason that he wouldn't start, and I don't believe this for a second, is to make sure that he is here next year where the coaches think we are going to be very good. And while I don't believe JB would really do that, I didn't think he would let/encourage Cole to leave either in order to make sure that the frosh would play this year. Encourage isn't really the right word but not put a press on to keep him.

I didn’t mention PT.

Ok...then...yes you said maybe Mintz was guaranteed a starting spot and you wouldn’t be surprised if Symir started. Don’t believe both are possible. But, hey, either way, you’ll be right!

Mintz didn't need to be guaranteed a starting spot. He is just better. The only reason that he wouldn't start, and I don't believe this for a second, is to make sure that he is here next year where the coaches think we are going to be very good. And while I don't believe JB would really do that, I didn't think he would let/encourage Cole to leave either in order to make sure that the frosh would play this year. Encourage isn't really the right word but not put a press on to keep him.
Jim Boeheim is leaving after this year. Why would he sacrifice anything for the following year?

Ok...then...yes you said maybe Mintz was guaranteed a starting spot and you wouldn’t be surprised if Symir started. Don’t believe both are possible. But, hey, either way, you’ll be right!

Both aren’t possible unless Mintz starts at the 3 which I doubt. And who’s trying to be right about anything? You interjected that. It’s just a guessing game.

In normal times I would be stoked about the view of a team that may be very good the following year. With the portal now sure feels more useless to be looking a year ahead in terms of expectations.

Both aren’t possible unless Mintz starts at the 3 which I doubt. And who’s trying to be right about anything? You interjected that. It’s just a guessing game.

I did, because you guessed both possibilities and I wanted to be sure it was noted.

It’s like saying...”Don’t be surprised if the Celtics win but I think the warriors could win”

I did, because you guessed both possibilities and I wanted to be sure it was noted.

Duly noted. LOL.

Did you know it’s possible Taylor could start at the 3? Or Bunch could start at the 3? Or even Mintz? Note those possibilities.

Great photos. JAB not just rolling out the balls. Looks like he is giving great instruction to his young squad. So much better than when practice used to begin around October 15th.

I don’t know what you’re looking at but from what I see that is mediocre instruction at best and “how to escape from a mastodon while foraging” instruction at worst. Take off the orange tinted specs my boy.

I could see Mintz starting each half and getting the 5 minute token start, but only getting about 3-5 additional minutes giving Torrence and Girard a breather. Torrence may beat him out for minutes, while still honoring the commitment to let Mintz start. Torrence wasn't given any promises, but he seems like a loyal program after only a year here. And JB rewards loyalty when he can.

My hope is they are all good and it goes something like 31-27-27 and they all feel like they got enough run. Maybe a couple minutes of press with three guards and overtime account for more than 80 minutes.

Overall I think our guards are better than our forwards, so JB may be creative to get our best players on the court together... until he can't stand watching Torrence try to battle a forward for rebounds and lose three possessions in a row.

A press lineup of Hima, Williams, Girard, Mintz and Torrence could press effectively while we take the hit offensively from Edwards being on the bench.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom