Summer Workouts | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Sy is def flying under the radar on this board in terms of his potential impact to the team next season...

starting or coming off the bench, he will play a lot of minutes and be a central figure in the team' success, imo
Agreed. Sy finished the season very strong last year if he can build off that…I think he’ll come off the bench. The good Syracuse teams always have a punch off the bench. The year you had Joseph and Scoop come off the bench together like 5 minutes into every game, I think we see something similar to that this year. You run out your starting 5 then bring in Sy and probably a freshman forward if things don’t go well or get shaky and that’s your rotation. Then obviously have the transfer back up Jesse.

I’m not gonna be surprised at all to see Sy start.
We might be better if sy starts over Joe, but I can’t see Jimmy doing that and I also can’t see Jimmy starting sy and Joe together.

anyways, I like the thought, but it would shock me if it happened.

I would be shocked if Symir started over Mintz. Shocked. Mintz is really, really good.

I qualify this by pointing out that I am really, really, really excited about Mintz. Love his game, so I don't disagree.

Your interpretation isn't what I was saying. Hence, why I said I'm excited to see Symir / Mintz on the floor together.

I get that Joe is going to start, and probably play too many minutes. And I think he'll produce. But the other two are ACC caliber athletes, and I am left with the impression that Symir might be a substantially better lead guard than what many of our fanbase perceives. I'm also cognizant that above average lead guard play is massively important in college basketball, which is guard driven.

So having three terrific players is a nice "problem" to have. I expect that the distribution of minutes may be slated in a way that isn't "optimal," but we've seen this movie before.

Just a SWAG. Maybe we see a 3 guard offense with SY, JM and JG. Benny and Edwards as the bigs. Would be a decent M2M defense, IMO. Subs come in we switch to zone. With our depth and length would like to see more press this year, even if we ahead in the score.

Just a SWAG. Maybe we see a 3 guard offense with SY, JM and JG. Benny and Edwards as the bigs. Would be a decent M2M defense, IMO. Subs come in we switch to zone. With our depth and length would like to see more press this year, even if we ahead in the score.

Might be our "best" 5 -- especially if none of the freshman forwards are ready for prime time from the jump.

And wouldn't be entirely unprecedented. We started Edelin, GMac, and Pace in 2004, before Edelin's demons manifested.

Not ideal for the zone, but would undoubtedly get the most experienced 5 on the floor at the start of games.

So far as the guards are concerned...it aint who starts- it's who finishes.
In theory this is true, however sometimes it takes a promise of starting just to land a kid.

We might be better if sy starts over Joe, but I can’t see Jimmy doing that and I also can’t see Jimmy starting sy and Joe together.

anyways, I like the thought, but it would shock me if it happened.
So, you would have no shooters in your starting line up. Curious?

So, you would have no shooters in your starting line up. Curious?
This was in response to a Bees post, maybe you should ask him that question.

Also, why would you post this when I did not offer an opinion on a starting lineup ??

However, since you asked, a possible starting lineup might be:

Jesse, Benny, Taylor, and Mintz before you get to the Sy v Joe issue.

That lineup would have Taylor and Mintz as shooters. I would also expect Benny to be able to make some shots from inside the arc even if he isnt much of a three point threat.

Now getting to the Sy v Joe issue, there is really little doubt that Joe will start, but hypothetically, if it were to really be a fair and open competition, the only way Sy would have a shot to beat out Joe was if he improved his shooting. Maybe not so much from three range, but to be able to hit those 10 to 15 foot pullups off his dribble penetration.

Might be our "best" 5 -- especially if none of the freshman forwards are ready for prime time from the jump.

And wouldn't be entirely unprecedented. We started Edelin, GMac, and Pace in 2004, before Edelin's demons manifested.

Not ideal for the zone, but would undoubtedly get the most experienced 5 on the floor at the start of games.
Pace was 6’5 though. Would be nice if we could at least switch the defense up based on matchups and opponents. Maybe there’s some teams where we can play zone with a small lineup against and not get killed inside. But against the UNC’s of the world, would be nice to not go into the game knowing they’re going to destroy us on the boards and in the paint while we do nothing to try to offset their size advantage.

Pace was 6’5 though. Would be nice if we could at least switch the defense up based on matchups and opponents. Maybe there’s some teams where we can play zone with a small lineup against and not get killed inside. But against the UNC’s of the world, would be nice to not go into the game knowing they’re going to destroy us on the boards and in the paint while we do nothing to try to offset their size advantage.

He was LISTED at 6-5 [and coming out of HS, at 6-6 IIRC], but in reality he was only about 6-3 or 6-4, generously.

He was LISTED at 6-5 [and coming out of HS, at 6-6 IIRC], but in reality he was only about 6-3 or 6-4, generously.
I can buy that, but still not sure any of our 3 main guards will be able to get up and compete on the glass like he did?

His size would get exposed against the Pitt’s and UConn’s, but seems like he otherwise competed on the glass about as well as you could expect out of a guy his height. Torrence just doesn’t seem like that kind of player to me, but maybe I’m wrong.

Carey is a top 50 kid if he had the chance to show it.

Clingan finished 45th in the composite rankings and I would take Carey over him without hesitation. He’s going to be a stud.

I can buy that, but still not sure any of our 3 main guards will be able to get up and compete on the glass like he did?

His size would get exposed against the Pitt’s and UConn’s, but seems like he otherwise competed on the glass about as well as you could expect out of a guy his height. Torrence just doesn’t seem like that kind of player to me, but maybe I’m wrong.

Completely agree -- a full time commitment to the zone isn't conducive to a three-guard lineup for all the reasons you list.

Zone is at its best when we have size up top, plus two long, athletic wings with plus lateral mobility, who can cover ground.

Problem is, Symir is the best lead guard on the team [Mintz is more of a combo]. And our three guards are 3 of the best 5. So the dilemma is: how do we get our best lineup on the floor, without getting exposed on the glass / on defense?

No easy answer. But imagine a lineup with Symir, Mintz, Benny, Brown, and Jesse [for example]. THAT'S a unit that would be better suited to compete on the glass.

Completely agree -- a full time commitment to the zone isn't conducive to a three-guard lineup for all the reasons you list.

Zone is at its best when we have size up top, plus two long, athletic wings with plus lateral mobility, who can cover ground.

Problem is, Symir is the best lead guard on the team [Mintz is more of a combo]. And our three guards are 3 of the best 5. So the dilemma is: how do we get our best lineup on the floor, without getting exposed on the glass / on defense?

No easy answer. But imagine a lineup with Symir, Mintz, Benny, Brown, and Jesse [for example]. THAT'S a unit that would be better suited to compete on the glass.

Also a unit that if they defend well can play very fast.

They have a good photographer.

5EC98963-6D8A-4A08-9F70-EA62347D9FC5.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom