Summer Workouts | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Red is smart. Biggest current Cuse name in NBA.. mad props to bringing him in and glad to see Jerami back on campus. Always amazed how chill and expressionless he still is after all these years yet such a crazy hard worker off and on the court
Not seeing it on tape, but hopefully Jerami got to show off some of his skills playing full court vs the actives. A perfect example of someone who's actions speak louder than his words.

So Devo is looking swole. Maybe we need to bring him back for a strength and conditioning role with all athletics...
Screenshot_20230909-151243_X.jpg

Westry says he's healthy and ready to go: “This season is big for me. I have high expectations of myself and am glad to be back where I was at a year ago before surgery. I’m ready to play the best basketball of my life.” link - Chance Westry preparing for a big season at Syracuse - video
Red's going to have a hard time not finding a spot in the starting lineup for Westry. He's perfect for the anticipated new style and he's going to be a problem for other teams.

Red's going to have a hard time not finding a spot in the starting lineup for Westry. He's perfect for the anticipated new style and he's going to be a problem for other teams.
With Mintz and Starling penciled in as the starters and each getting, say, 30 minutes each, that leaves Westry, Copeland, Taylor, Bell and Cuffe competing for the 3rd guard/small forward position.

With 60 minutes spread among 5 guys, someone is going to be disappointed. I suspect Cuffe is the odd man out, playing sparingly... He's just been out of the game too long, and needs to prove he's fully recovered and not rusty. The fact he transferred into a full backcourt leans me to believe he understands this situation. That still leaves insufficient minutes for the remaining guys, unless we play really small a lot of the time.

In ACC play a lineup with three guards and either Bell or Taylor at forward is a recipe to never get a rebound.

Westry being great helps with this problem, or Bell greatly improving his rebounding, but we can't count on that based on previous performance.

This also takes minutes from Brown and Williams, who have their own minutes crunch at PF. The Highlander and Hima will play 40 minutes against bigger ACC opponents, Brown just didn't have the mass or height to defend or rebound from the middle.

The best players will play the most minutes, but for the first time in a long time I'm feeling pretty good about the competition and the depth of somebody goes down.

With Mintz and Starling penciled in as the starters and each getting, say, 30 minutes each, that leaves Westry, Copeland, Taylor, Bell and Cuffe competing for the 3rd guard/small forward position.

With 60 minutes spread among 5 guys, someone is going to be disappointed. I suspect Cuffe is the odd man out, playing sparingly... He's just been out of the game too long, and needs to prove he's fully recovered and not rusty. The fact he transferred into a full backcourt leans me to believe he understands this situation. That still leaves insufficient minutes for the remaining guys, unless we play really small a lot of the time.

In ACC play a lineup with three guards and either Bell or Taylor at forward is a recipe to never get a rebound.

Westry being great helps with this problem, or Bell greatly improving his rebounding, but we can't count on that based on previous performance.

This also takes minutes from Brown and Williams, who have their own minutes crunch at PF. The Highlander and Hima will play 40 minutes against bigger ACC opponents, Brown just didn't have the mass or height to defend or rebound from the middle.

The best players will play the most minutes, but for the first time in a long time I'm feeling pretty good about the competition and the depth of somebody goes down.

28-32 mins is where we want top dogs to be on a deep team. No need for 35 or more.

This feels like one of those years where we blow up in a preseason tournament and the national media goes “where did this come from?” We all follow the team closely and know we can be dangerous. I think we show out in Maui. The floor is 5-8 seed in the tournament. I think the ceiling is absolutely Elite 8 or Final Four. Guards win in college and we have elite guards if they play to their potential. It’s been awhile since I’ve been this excited for basketball. I’m bullish on Taylor and Bell as well.

I love the idea of a healthy Westry and an improved Copeland who are guards with SF size. It gives Red an incredible range of flexibility on both ends. Imagine fullcourt press with Mintz/Starling/Westry/Copeland and McLoud at the back end. If they break the press you trap and scramble. You run on all makes and misses.

Last edited:

With a lot of talented players no one needs to play 30. You can put up great numbers playing 25 at a better efficiency.
The NBA doesn't draft on high scoring but how your numbers relate to playing a full game.

Yup. We have a lot of talent. It comes down to Red's in game coaching which I think he's ready for.
I think even more than “in-game” will be his practices and system implementation. I suspect there will be huge player buy-in and attention to detail as it will be new to all.
I really wish there were still open practices.

It's definitely tight but I think Westry forces his way into a big role. Future NBA player.

Agree Cuffe mostly sits this year. Hopefully Quadir gets some minutes as I'm a huge fan and want him to stay four years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom