Summer Workouts | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

Chance directing people around and moving the ball quickly. If he can hit the open 3 too maybe he can use his size and being a physical guard along with IQ to be an effective contributor vs needing to be explosive just getting back into things.

I couldn’t help imagine what summer practice looked like last year compared to this year.
Calm Down Kevin Bacon GIF by Puffin Graphic Design

Davis has a great midrange game. He's a 17/7 player that is now in a bench contributor role. Feels like a great spot for him.
I'm excited to see Davis. I feel like he can be a very solid bench player who can do a lot of things for us. He might be critical to get us through the non-con unscathed since there's a chance Donnie takes a month or two to get his sea legs.

Got to love seeing Davis seek out contact in those highlights. I've said it before but, most of the teams we play want to play 3 guards. Being able to put both Freeman and Davis in the game together and force a guard to try to defend one of those guys should be a great weapon for us.

Both can use the bounce a little and pass the rock so absolutely. We will have that flexibility for sure to expose matchups. Davis’ looks smooth from deep in these practice clips. I do wonder if he might be more capable from distance than numbers show. No hesitation in the catch and shoot at all and good form and spin.

I swear, every time I see an image of Cuffe, he's got a big smile on his face... No matter what the situation.

Meanwhile, Davis is like "You've been talking to me this whole time?"
Funny you mention Cuffe in this light. It got me thinking about last year. I remember thinking to myself in many games last year how business like he looked. I don't recall any smiles at all. It appeared (and this coming from my couch down in Tampa watching on tv) that he might approach basketball much differently than some of the dudes no longer on the team who didn't want to listen or would goof off and not buy into team basketball. If there is any truth to that, imagine how refreshing it is to have new teammates who are working hard and taking things seriously. That would bring a smile to my face as well.

I think Cuffe has gotten so little mention by many here. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a vital part of a handful of wins this coming year.

Funny you mention Cuffe in this light. It got me thinking about last year. I remember thinking to myself in many games last year how business like he looked. I don't recall any smiles at all. It appeared (and this coming from my couch down in Tampa watching on tv) that he might approach basketball much differently than some of the dudes no longer on the team who didn't want to listen or would goof off and not buy into team basketball. If there is any truth to that, imagine how refreshing it is to have new teammates who are working hard and taking things seriously. That would bring a smile to my face as well.

I think Cuffe has gotten so little mention by many here. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he's a vital part of a handful of wins this coming year.
He struggled across the board last year. He’s athletic as hell but he’s about 3 inches too short for his skill set. He really needs to improve his handle and passing significantly - or least be able to shoot a high percentage from 3; otherwise he’ll have a tough time carving out PT.

I knows he’s coming off the injury so there could have been some issues there. But at this point I think the lions share of the guard minutes go to JJ, Carlos, Taylor and Westry. If Moore is hitting from 3, he has to play because we lack the shooting other than Bell. I’m sure you could see some 3 guard lineups with Taylor at the 3, but since our front court is more talented than our backcourt, I’m not sure how often Red will do that. Cuffe seems like the one guy that doesn’t fit right now

Just look at last year vs this year in pictures and you can see just how much better in shape Kyle looks. He has some impressive physical tools to be a 3 and D wing even being undersized. Pair that with more teammates who can take advantage of him as a cutter.

He struggled across the board last year. He’s athletic as hell but he’s about 3 inches too short for his skill set. He really needs to improve his handle and passing significantly - or least be able to shoot a high percentage from 3; otherwise he’ll have a tough time carving out PT.

I knows he’s coming off the injury so there could have been some issues there. But at this point I think the lions share of the guard minutes go to JJ, Carlos, Taylor and Westry. If Moore is hitting from 3, he has to play because we lack the shooting other than Bell. I’m sure you could see some 3 guard lineups with Taylor at the 3, but since our front court is more talented than our backcourt, I’m not sure how often Red will do that. Cuffe seems like the one guy that doesn’t fit right now

He looked heavy and out of shape last year. I’m not sure he fails to fit in if he is full go and in game shape to start the season. Should be a battle for the minutes off the bench at the guard spots.

Just look at last year vs this year in pictures and you can see just how much better in shape Kyle looks. He has some impressive physical tools to be a 3 and D wing even being undersized. Pair that with more teammates who can take advantage of him as a cutter.
I agree. It looked like he lifted a lot of weights while he he had a leg injury, and never really got his full athleticism back. If he's fully healthy and fully recovered, he might look very different this season.

Based off last year I don't see how he deserves more than 5 mpg. Handle, passing, shooting, scoring, defense, essentially everything important he does below average. While also being a 6'2 off ball guard. Maybe he needed a year to get his legs back after all the injuries but im certainly not expecting much out of him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom