Summer Workouts | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Workouts

I remember watching Westry high school footage back when it looked like we were going to get him as a senior.

He was a plus athlete and dominated the poor kids playing against him.

I helped an old lady at the Wegmans coffee bar today... She was having trouble pouring cream into her coffee.

It was amazing how much she looked like Westry walking away after we were done. You could see she was afraid with each step she was going to get hurt.

Hyperbole, for sure.

But Westry isn't close to the same guy he was in high school based on the little video we have seen this summer. He looks like he is still injured or he is very early in his recovery. We watched Sidibe and Hima struggle with effectively career ending injuries the last few seasons. I have mentally moved Westry into their category for my own mental well being. I'll be surprised if he's a contributor.

I want to see him in live game action personally. You are comparing game vs drills. Having lived through hell on my left knee some 20 yrs ago I recognize all the signs of trust good and bad. He’s not as weak as you are making it out to be on that knee at all. He was comfortable getting into a defender on a drive leading with that knee in the same tape as he was a little careful on that drill. He will likely always be mindful to be smart on how he approaches drills and practice vs games.

There is way too much being concluded from a couple of steps while ignoring the positive signs. He likely will always have soreness ( it’s permanent) as well even if the knee is completely healthy.

Hima and Sidibe looked to struggle with basic movements let alone scrimmaging. Pretty big difference.

Chance has always had a higher dribble going back to HS that I have seen. There is no doubt a measure of trusting the knee at play here and there is no getting around that. With that said the longer he works on it without re aggravating it, the more he will trust it. Other than that there isn’t a ton of differences that stand out with this video. Plus we saw him in the orange madness look really solid too last year. I never saw him look like Magic or Penny in HS. He was really good but his game wasn’t jaw dropping either. I expect it will take another couple months, working with the team fully healthy for things to really click back into place. Maybe even all the way through October and November.
This is probably the video i was referring to:

He is very quick, aggressive on d, stops/slides like Nadal on clay. Not a high-flyer, but his straights and laterals are nice. This is a far cry from that recent video where he took five careful steps to come to a stop from a forward burst. Again, i hope i'm wrong, and that was just 'one instance' where he didn't need to do something strong, but it looked like he couldn't. Again, i also hope there's time for him to regain that strength, stability, confidence before he's needed in our schedule.

I want to see him in live game action personally. You are comparing game vs drills. Having lived through hell on my left knee some 20 yrs ago I recognize all the signs of trust good and bad. He’s not as weak as you are making it out to be on that knee at all. He was comfortable getting into a defender on a drive leading with that knee in the same tape as he was a little careful on that drill. He will likely always be mindful to be smart on how he approaches drills and practice vs games.

There is way too much being concluded from a couple of steps while ignoring the positive signs. He likely will always have soreness ( it’s permanent) as well even if the knee is completely healthy.

Hima and Sidibe looked to struggle with basic movements let alone scrimmaging. Pretty big difference.

At 16 I had the ACL, MCL and broken femur trifecta myself in high school. My injuries weren't as severe as some, but they definitely have had permanent effects. My other knee had some minor injuries as well. I can definitely tell when the weather is about to change by the feeling in my knees.

Unfortunately, Westry might have similar permanent effects.

I hope I'm wrong and he's fully recovered come November.

He is very quick, aggressive on d, stops/slides like Nadal on clay. Not a high-flyer, but his straights and laterals are nice. This is a far cry from that recent video where he took five careful steps to come to a stop from a forward burst. Again, i hope i'm wrong, and that was just 'one instance' where he didn't need to do something strong, but it looked like he couldn't. Again, i also hope there's time for him to regain that strength, stability, confidence before he's needed in our schedule.
Auburn early season highlights. He’s a good passer and driver and gets steals and deflections.

OK, so - Chance has been billed as a "lock-down defender".

How does that square with a guy who's not a run and gun high flyer?
Normally the best defenders are also plus athletes.
(and of course, there's smarts, skill and 'want to' involved in playing good D too)
Because these guys have watched him since he was a junior in high school, their friends cousin in Auburn said he only left because he was too good for the SEC and are medical experts who specialize in knees.

this is why I said we do need to see him in live action vs comparing clips. I think it’s fair to allow for that certainty to play out. I think there is too much being read of a few short clips to say much given it’s really that one single drill that everyone is locked in on. I’m not ready to say the kids knees are shot and he will be useless based on that. If some are then so be it.

I watched the same clip you did and don’t see as stark a difference to what we saw in the scrimmage during orange madness or the clips that aren’t from the IG post. The clips of his summer league he was playing in looked pretty good too.

Because these guys have watched him since he was a junior in high school, their friends cousin in Auburn said he only left because he was too good for the SEC and are medical experts who specialize in knees.
The Westry we see in his high school highlights certainly is a lockdown defender. He was really impressive and was highly ranked in spite of being a bad shooter from long range. Usually bad shooting is a recipe for a bad ranking, but Westry was able to transcend that because he did everything else so well.

Now? We hope he's that guy. I don't think anybody is confirming in this thread or anywhere else that Westry is currently a lockdown defender.

We all are just wishcasting off of his high school highlights and the fact the team is much better if we have a fully healthy and recovered chance Westry. I've definitely been guilty of it myself.

Just like I'm probably guilty of getting too down on him from 10 seconds of video where he looked uncertain of his legs.

Where would we be as fans if we didn't pendulum back and forth like a broken Poe trap?

FWIW , and I know there are others in the profession on here, a buddy of mine who is an ortho doc and huge Cuse fan agrees with the take he looks pretty well from afar even vs old highlights. The kicker will be what happens in a few months. How does he handle all this work and getting back at it etc.

The Westry we see in his high school highlights certainly is a lockdown defender. He was really impressive and was highly ranked in spite of being a bad shooter from long range. Usually bad shooting is a recipe for a bad ranking, but Westry was able to transcend that because he did everything else so well.

Now? We hope he's that guy. I don't think anybody is confirming in this thread or anywhere else that Westry is currently a lockdown defender.

We all are just wishcasting off of his high school highlights and the fact the team is much better if we have a fully healthy and recovered chance Westry. I've definitely been guilty of it myself.

Just like I'm probably guilty of getting too down on him from 10 seconds of video where he looked uncertain of his legs.

Where would we be as fans if we didn't pendulum back and forth like a broken Poe trap?

He’s a wild card but still depth at this point vs the make or break player for the season. He can elevate the ceiling for certain should he end up fully healthy

I have a member of the women’s team interning for me this summer. She says the new players are really good.
I asked about the men’s team. She was really impressed by the work ethic of every one on the team, especially as compared to certain players last year who acted entitled and didn’t put in the work. She thinks the new guys are all pretty good.
She is very excited to see how the FB team will do. Said HCFB is often at their practices, and encourages the ladies to go the the FB practice. He appears to be the same guy when the cameras are off.
That’s all I’ve got.

Last edited:
I have a member of the women’s team interning for me this summer. She says the new players are really good.
I asked about the men’s team. She was really impressed by the work ethic of every one on the team, especially as compared to certain players last year who acted entitled and didn’t put in the work. She thinks the new guys are all pretty good.
She is very excited to see how the FB team will do. Said HCFB is often at their practices, and encourages the ladies to go the the FB practice. He appears to be the same guy when the cameras are off.
That’s all I’ve got.

I’m really curious how all the guards will look this year. Just using IG - it’s clear everyone of these guys have put in a ton of work this off season then you see Choppa living at the Melo center it seems along with JJ, Cuffe and Carlos. When you truly put the work in it goes a long ways and if this whole squad is putting the time in and building chemistry that’s really intriguing. Seems you add most of the team in there too but seems especially this stable of guards are gym rats.

If Eddie can make approximately 1/3 of his 3 point attempts at the top of the key, taking at most 3 per game, thereby requiring his man to come out and guard him and opening the driving lines for the slashers, then I am all in. If I recall, Maliq started doing this in the second half of the season (ducking as the rotten vegetables are thrown at me for referencing MB). Hell, I would be super thrilled if Eddie hit jumper-like bank shots from the free throw line.
If I'm the opposition I would let Eddie fire away as many 3s as he wants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom