Super Bowl LVII Thread... | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Super Bowl LVII Thread...

I had zero confidence that the Chiefs would stop the Eagles.

But it was a penalty. Don’t hold. Twice. *shrug

Also, Bradberry grabbed him twice and didn’t react to the penalty whatsoever. He knew he messed up, and admitted as much afterwards.

I understand Eagles fans being upset - that’s a tough loss. I understand casuals wanting the most exciting and dramatic finish possible and being upset that it was anticlimactic.

But it was a penalty.
Lol. It was a horrible call. I don't think people realize how much contact goes uncalled.

Also, Bradberry grabbed him twice and didn’t react to the penalty whatsoever. He knew he messed up, and admitted as much afterwards.

I understand Eagles fans being upset - that’s a tough loss. I understand casuals wanting the most exciting and dramatic finish possible and being upset that it was anticlimactic.

But it was a penalty.

If Bradbury admitted to it, I suppose we have to accept it. But I still think the receiver wasn't really impeded. Basically, he tried to hold him and failed.

I don't like to using the officials as the reason a team lost. But I will say this...

They seemed to let them play for most of the game, but then make that final one on an uncatchable ball. Was it a penalty? Yes. Were they called like that all game? No. Point it... let them play, so the Super Bowl doesn't end as it did. It was a good game too.

I haven't gone back and watched, but did anyone else see some block in the backs on the Toney return?

Still can't get over the catch or no catch rulings.. and the NFL or their refs still don't either.

I don't like to using the officials as the reason a team lost. But I will say this...

They seemed to let them play for most of the game, but then make that final one on an uncatchable ball. Was it a penalty? Yes. Were they called like that all game? No. Point it... let them play, so the Super Bowl doesn't end as it did. It was a good game too.

I haven't gone back and watched, but did anyone else see some block in the backs on the Toney return?

Still can't get over the catch or no catch rulings.. and the NFL or their refs still don't either.

The call wasn't the reason the Eagles lost. We don't know what would have happened and both teams had opportunities before that to create a different situation. It just deprived a great contest of a more exciting ending.

I also hate the Zapruder film approach to deciding if someone caught the ball or not. If the ball never leaves the player's arms, I think he's got control of it. Also, on what would have been the second fumble retorn for a score, the guy clearly caught the ball and turned up field, then got hit right where he was holding it and it popped out. the rules commentator said that he has to take three steps for it to count. I think he should have to do the Charleston.

Last edited:
Much the way I told the fellow cuse fans crying about refs vs Clemson for def penalties...is what it is. you got to blow teams out. Like ufc, don’t let it get to the judges. That’s sports in 2023 now.

if every catch doesn’t get the frame by frame breakdown then none should. It’s dopey and ruining the product. They don’t care though. People will continue to watch regardless.

4:07

That included the bomb to smith that covered most of that drive
i dont get what your deal is on this point. how much time did they "need." That is how much time it took. that doesn't mean that if they had less time they couldnt have gone hurry up and scored in a shorter period of game time. You seem dead set on this point though. Have no idea why. It is completely illogical and not like your usual logical self.

if every catch doesn’t get the frame by frame breakdown then none should. It’s dopey and ruining the product. They don’t care though. People will continue to watch regardless.
ban all replay. ALL!! OK..give each team one challenge per half. DAS IT. use them wisely. none of this final 2 minutes crap. such a dumb simpleton concept. even then, i can understand the last two minutes of the game. but why the last two minutes of the first half? what is so magical about minutes 18 through 20 that all replay goes up stairs yet on minutes 0-18 and 20-58, it doesn't?

so i rewatched the game on speed mode. omitting all the long delays in superbowl level commercial breaks and half time. and what you notice is that Philly should have won that game. despite all the second half heroics...shouldn't have mattered.

Much the way I told the fellow cuse fans crying about refs vs Clemson for def penalties...is what it is. you got to blow teams out. Like ufc, don’t let it get to the judges. That’s sports in 2023 now.
Unless you're KC. Then you get three chances on a tying 2pt conversion vs the Titans 3rd string QB as one of your 1,001 breaks on the year before being gifted the last two games. What a life.

so i rewatched the game on speed mode. omitting all the long delays in superbowl level commercial breaks and half time. and what you notice is that Philly should have won that game. despite all the second half heroics...shouldn't have mattered.
They lost it when they settled for three to go 27-21 when all game they were aggressive on fourth down.

That's really the only time Sirianni tightened up

why?

is this like a “outlaw the slam dunk” take?
It’s destroyed what used to be a tense situation IMO. It’s physically impossible for 1 or 2 defensive linemen to win a battle with 7+ people directly pushing them. It’s just stupid.

I think they did at least get the catch reviews correct last night, but more and more Im starting to wish Sports would just get rid of reviews if this is how it’s going to look. If they want to implement a review timer to keep it under a minute or under 30 seconds or something, cool, but I think taking several minutes to watch the play a million times Hurts the product more than it helps.

They lost it when they settled for three to go 27-21 when all game they were aggressive on fourth down.

That's really the only time Sirianni tightened up
The pass and then punt on 3rd and 4th and 2 late in the game hurt too when they likely could have just done a QB sneak and converted. They overthought themselves as things started to tense up.

I think they did at least get the catch reviews correct last night, but more and more Im starting to wish Sports would just get rid of reviews if this is how it’s going to look. If they want to implement a review timer to keep it under a minute or under 30 seconds or something, cool, but I think taking several minutes to watch the play a million times Hurts the product more than it helps.
The Smith catch may have not been a catch, but I don't think it should have been overturned.

You're probably too young, but at one point in the 90's the NFL got rid of replay and brought it back because officials were still missing the most obvious calls. A Vinny Testaverde QB sneak where he was about a yard short against Seattle comes to mind.

The Smith catch may have not been a catch, but I don't think it should have been overturned.

You're probably too young, but at one point in the 90's the NFL got rid of replay and brought it back because officials were still missing the most obvious calls. A Vinny Testaverde QB sneak where he was about a yard short against Seattle comes to mind.
I think it’s pretty obvious there would be missed calls. I think I just don’t care anymore. They’re missing the calls half the time after reviewing them anyways and obviously missing a lot of calls that don’t get reviewed. And it all simply takes far too long. I’m so thankful the NBA cut back significantly on reviews but even that could still be improved upon IMO.

Last edited:
The call wasn't the reason the Eagles lost. We don't know what would have happened and both teams had opportunities before that to create a different situation. It just deprived a great contest of a more exciting ending.

I also hate the Zapruder film approach to deciding if someone caught the ball or not. If the ball never leaves the player's arms, I think he's got control of it. Also, on what would have been the second fumble retorn for a score, the guy clearly caught the ball and turned up field, then got hit right where he was holding it and it popped out. the rules commentator said that he has to take three steps for it to count. I think he should have to do the Charleston.

I didn't claim that the call is the reason the Eagles lost. It did, however, end the game. There are always plays/calls made/not made throughout any game that collectively make the outcome. If it plays out with a no call and the Chiefs kick the field goal... the Eagles at least have a chance, and we (the audience) get a better ending either way of how it turns out.

BPO, don’t know why you deleted your post, but it would have been interesting to see. Don’t think anyone was hitting a long field goal on that joke of a skating rink tonight
I have no idea what you're talking about with this deleted post nonsense. But back to the main point - the notion that a team couldn't put themselves in FG position with 1:45 left and one TO is just crazy. They not only could have tied it's also possible they score a TD to win it. To pronounce the game over at that juncture is nuts. I would think after further reflection you'd realize that's a really bad take.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom