Sweet 16 at best? | Syracusefan.com

Sweet 16 at best?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
I really don't see this team making it past the Sweet 16 with they way they play on offense. I keep hoping we get it together but I just think we are a below average offensive team. It will hold us back from a successful post season.

If we run into a team that's clicking on offense, like UVa was today, we will lose. We don't have the offense to keep up. Be prepared for the "What" loss in this year's NCAA tourney. I can see a 7 or 10 seed getting hot from deep an knocking us off.

I really don't see this team making it past the Sweet 16 with they way they play on offense. I keep hoping we get it together but I just think we are a below average offensive team. It will hold us back from a successful post season.

If we run into a team that's clicking on offense, like UVa was today, we will lose. We don't have the offense to keep up. Be prepared for the "What" loss in this year's NCAA tourney. I can see a 7 or 10 seed getting hot from deep an knocking us off.

I'm usually very positive but I have to agree- it's been in the back of my mind all week. Obviously, I hope I'm very wrong.

We were worse on offense last season. People here were legitimately calling for JB's job at this point last year.

Standing bet for anyone here: the might Virginia Cavaliers won't go any deeper in the NCAAs than the outclassed SU Orange.

Why? We have three first rounders, one of which is a lottery pick.

GUYS

We lost to the best defensive team in the country and a team that should be undefeated in the New Year if it wasn't for that lucky 3 by Duke in Cameron

We lost on a BS call to a top 10 team that has 2 NBA lotto picks in their house

We lost in a fluke/trap game

We're 26-3.

Jesus, chill out. This is an elite team. Will we win the national title? Maybe not. But to say making it to the 2nd weekend is in question right now is ridiculous.

I hate how we can never give other teams credit...

Depends on grant. At full strength we're a f4 team. Without grant we'll be in a close game in 2nd round.

Yup. With Grant at 100%, we could b a final four team.

Ex grant we r not.

how many first rounders does kentucky have and how far are are they going to go?

GUYS

We lost to the best defensive team in the country and a team that should be undefeated in the New Year if it wasn't for that lucky 3 by Duke in Cameron

We lost on a BS call to a top 10 team that has 2 NBA lotto picks in their house

We lost in a fluke/trap game

We're 26-3.

Jesus, chill out. This is an elite team. Will we win the national title? Probably not. But to say making it to the 2nd weekend is in question right now is ridiculous.

I hate how we can never give other teams credit...
We may be elite on defense but we are below average on offense. We've broken 70 just twice since the new year.

We may be elite on defense but we are below average on offense. We've broken 70 just twice since the new year.
We are bad at dictating tempo, I'll give you that; but if a team wants to play in the 80s we can do that, we can also play in the 50s.

There is no doubt we need Grant.

But to think we can't beat a 16 seed and an 8 seed is ridiculous. If you get rid of the BC game our only losses this year are to 2 seeds.

Grant is the best NBA player on this team, and he's not an All-Star type either.

Ennis will be a decent NBA PG. Fair will be a solid role player. I think Grant could make an impact. But UNC and Duke both have more legitimate NBA players than we do.

Oh boy, the sky is falling.. Is anyone happy? No. That said, we lost to the best team in the ACC at their house minus Grant, and had to play with a 6 man rotation. So what. Get Grant healthy, that's all I want..

We are bad at dictating tempo, I'll give you that; but if a team wants to play in the 80s we can do that, we can also play in the 50s.

There is no doubt we need Grant.

But to think we can't beat a 16 seed and an 8 seed is ridiculous. If you get rid of the BC game our only losses this year are to 2 seeds.
We've beaten a handful of bubble and NIT teams by 1 to 4 points. If you don't think we can lose to anybody in the NCAA tourney on any given night then you haven't been watching us the last two months.

There's a reason we've been in a lot of close games. That was exposed today. Grant injury aside, we're not a well balanced team. We'll win another NC when we have a center who give us some positive results. In the order of 10 points and eight rebounds a game. Christmas has provided nothing lately, Keita is a nightmare and Coleman, our Mickey D center, is sidelined. It's like we've been playing four against five most of the year.

We were worse on offense last season. People here were legitimately calling for JB's job at this point last year.
Legitimately calling for JB's job?! This might be the worst post of the year. I don't recall anyone calling for JB's job unless they were among the most clueless people in the universe.

Do you see the teams that will be 4 and 5 seeds? absolutely awful. we won't have a problem. 2 of our 3 losses are at Duke, and UVA. We will be fine if we get healthy

We've beaten a handful of bubble and NIT teams by 1 to 4 points. If you don't think we can lose to anybody in the NCAA tourney on any given night then you haven't been watching us the last two months.
This team likes to play to their competition, no doubt. We aren't blowing out teams by 20; but if deep down you don't think this team can pull out games vs. almost anyone you haven't been paying attention either.

UVA absolutely outplayed us tonight; the first team all year to really take it to us, and they deserve credit for it. But to think we don't have a legitimate chance to beat anyone the in country in a tournament setting on a neutral court is ridiculous.

I think this team will be focused in this tournament, and in that situation there's about 10 teams that have a legitimate chance at beating us. We easily get to the Sweet 16

I've been waiting all year - thinking the offense would finally "click" (too much talent I thought). It's clearly not going to happen this year. This is just a really bad offensive team. The play in the ladder part of the second half of this game was an absolute abomination.

This team likes to play to their competition, no doubt. We aren't blowing out teams by 20; but if deep down you don't think this team can pull out games vs. almost anyone you haven't been paying attention either.

UVA absolutely outplayed us tonight; the first team all year to really take it to us, and they deserve credit for it. But to think we don't have a legitimate chance to beat anyone the in country in a tournament setting on a neutral court is ridiculous.

I think this team will be focused in this tournament, and in that situation there's about 10 teams that have a legitimate chance at beating us. We easily get to the Sweet 16
I think you struggled with the point of my post. We can lose to any given team in any round of the tourney. That has been proven through our close wins vs bubble and NIT teams. NCSt won't even make the tourney (equal to a 14 seed at best) and we needed a lucky break to beat them on our home court. BC, the equivalent of a 16 seed, beat us on our home court.

Sure we may be able to beat anyone in a given round of the NCAA tourney but we can also lose to anyone. The conditional probability of us continuing to beat mediocre teams by single digits for more than a couple rounds of the NCAA tourney is very low. That's just the reality of it. We are not a dominating team.

Regardless of anything else, the defense just isn't there. How many teams have hit greater than 50% from 3 against us in second halves this year? BC, duke, UVA just off the top of my head.

If that doesn't change, this team can't get past the sweet 16. Last year the d was incredible in the tourney. Without our d going back to that level, a ff ain't happening.

Standing bet for anyone here: the might Virginia Cavaliers won't go any deeper in the NCAAs than the outclassed SU Orange.

No takers? Come on, where are the 'Hoo fluffers???

even without grant we can be better then a elite 8 team imo. We need to have fair, cooney and ennis click together for long stretches though, not one of them alone for long stretches. Grant will be back though :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom