Sweet 16 at best? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sweet 16 at best?

I agree that if we play like we have been offensively, we'll be a quick out in March.

But I would have said the same thing a year ago around this time as well. Having said that, I always had a sneaking suspicion last year's team would figure it out and make a run. I'm starting to lose faith in this year's team. It's been 6-8 games of below-average basketball now and they just don't seem to learn anything from their mistakes. I don't really understand it.

But anyways, let's wait and see how they show up in the ACC tournament. Maybe tonight's blowout down the stretch will finally get through to them and they'll wake up.

I really don't see this team making it past the Sweet 16 with they way they play on offense. I keep hoping we get it together but I just think we are a below average offensive team. It will hold us back from a successful post season.

If we run into a team that's clicking on offense, like UVa was today, we will lose. We don't have the offense to keep up. Be prepared for the "What" loss in this year's NCAA tourney. I can see a 7 or 10 seed getting hot from deep an knocking us off.

Wonder what your thoughts were after the Gtown game to close the season just a year ago? Its one basketball game. Probably should refrain from making such ridiculous conclusions based upon a tough road game.

Wonder what your thoughts were after the Gtown game to close the season just a year ago? Its one basketball game. Probably should refrain from making such ridiculous conclusions based upon a tough road game.
It hasn't been one game. Have you been following this team for the past month??? If there is one thing that they have been consistent with is their inability to score. We've only broken 70 twice since the start of conference play. That's not an outlier that's a predictable pattern.

I hope like hell this team finds some kind of new offensive gear but it's now March and I'm starting to be a realist about our offensive prognosis.

Nope, this is the first game i watched all year. Stop with the patronizing BS. Did you watch last years team? You thought last years team could score? Its one game. We looked bad and we lost. It happens.

The knee jerk crowd (led by you) will most likely look foolish again as they did last year after the post game Gtown meltdown (where we failed to score 40 points).
We're 26-3. Find some perspective.

Why? We have three first rounders, one of which is a lottery pick.
Fair will not be a top 25 select
Grant with his back whether he wants to come out or not will be a gamble now
Ennis is not NBA ready . He has been asked to do a lot in A 30 game schedule. He has hit the wall. How many games are there in a pro schedule

Nope, this is the first game i watched all year. Stop with the patronizing BS. Did you watch last years team? You thought last years team could score? Its one game. We looked bad and we lost. It happens.

The knee jerk crowd (led by you) will most likely look foolish again as they did last year after the post game Gtown meltdown (where we failed to score 40 points).
We're 26-3. Find some perspective.
I appreciate your positive attitude but I have no idea why you keep saying "it's one game". That is absolutely not true. The last six games we've played have been absolutely putrid. We've lost 3 of 6 but very easily could have lost all 6:
1) Pitt: TE makes a buzzer beater 35 footer to win
2) NCST: down for most of the 2nd half, they throw away an inbounds pass in the final seconds and we score a breakaway layup to win by 1
3) BC: we lost to a team that was 6-19.
4) Duke: we played well but still lost
5) Maryland: squeezed out a 2pt win in the final seconds after G threw away the ball under UM's hoop but the Maryland player missed.
6) UVA: got waxed

I don't see why you keep saying "it's one game". We are very close to being 0-6 over the last 3 weeks, very close.

I appreciate your positive attitude but I have no idea why you keep saying "it's one game". That is absolutely not true. The last six games we've played have been absolutely putrid. We've lost 3 of 6 but very easily could have lost all 6:
1) Pitt: TE makes a buzzer beater 35 footer to win. TRUE
2) NCST: down for most of the 2nd half, they throw away an inbounds pass in the final seconds and we score a breakaway layup to win by 1. SEMI TRUE B/C WE STOLE THE PASS IT WASN'T THROWN AWAY.
3) BC: we lost to a team that was 6-19. NO EXCUSE
4) Duke: we played well but still lost. BEST GAMES WE HAVE PLAYED IN ACC WERE AGAINST THEM
5) Maryland: squeezed out a 2pt win in the final seconds after G threw away the ball under UM's hoop but the Maryland player missed. REALLY INCORRECT AS WE CONTROLED THE ENTIRE SECOND HALF THEY GOT HOT TO MAKE IT CLOSE.
6) UVA: got waxed . FIRST GAME ALL YEAR WE WERE CLEARLY BEATEN

I don't see why you keep saying "it's one game". We are very close to being 0-6 over the last 3 weeks, very close.
It's 1 game where we got severly outplayed

I wonder what Ennis' draft stock is at now that we lost a few games.
I don't think he is leaving anyway, he isn't a good enough shooter or enough of an athlete for nba

orangepassion said:
I wonder what Ennis' draft stock is at now that we lost a few games.

I'm sure his stock is going up. We have very few players in the NBA but the league just seems to love our guys.

1) Pitt: TE makes a buzzer beater 35 footer to win
2) NCST: down for most of the 2nd half, they throw away an inbounds pass in the final seconds and we score a breakaway layup to win by 1
3) BC: we lost to a team that was 6-19.
4) Duke: we played well but still lost
5) Maryland: squeezed out a 2pt win in the final seconds after G threw away the ball under UM's hoop but the Maryland player missed.
6) UVA: got waxed

First, no need to recount the last 6 games. Maybe you didn't understand my sarcasm, but I haven't missed a second this year. I'm well aware of the last 6 games.

Fact: We were 23-8 going into the BET last year.
Fact: We lost 4 of 5 regular season games last year.
Fact: Our last reg season game we scored 38 points and lost by 22 to Gtown
Fact: We went to the Final Four

Thats my point. I'm a big picture guy. We're 26-3, we've had some great games and some not so great. Today was one of the not so great. The bottom line is we're one of a handful (8-10ish) of teams who can win a national title. You can go ahead and push the panic button. I will not be pushing said button.

GUYS

We lost to the best defensive team in the country and a team that should be undefeated in the New Year if it wasn't for that lucky 3 by Duke in Cameron

We lost on a BS call to a top 10 team that has 2 NBA lotto picks in their house

We lost in a fluke/trap game

We're 26-3.

Jesus, chill out. This is an elite team. Will we win the national title? Maybe not. But to say making it to the 2nd weekend is in question right now is ridiculous.

I hate how we can never give other teams credit...

Your delusional if you don't think we have issues right now. We lost to a 6 win team and 5 of our last 6 games have been a 1 possession game and I hate to tell you but none of those teams are good but duke. We have a lot of things to work on.

First, no need to recount the last 6 games. Maybe you didn't understand my sarcasm, but I haven't missed a second this year. I'm well aware of the last 6 games.

Fact: We were 23-8 going into the BET last year.
Fact: We lost 4 of 5 regular season games last year.
Fact: Our last reg season game we scored 38 points and lost by 22 to Gtown
Fact: We went to the Final Four

Thats my point. I'm a big picture guy. We're 26-3, we've had some great games and some not so great. Today was one of the not so great. The bottom line is we're one of a handful (8-10ish) of teams who can win a national title. You can go ahead and push the panic button. I will not be pushing said button.
If you think I don't want this team to reach the Final Four then you are dead wrong. Do I expect this team to reach the Final Four? Not really. We need a good draw that lines up teams that are soft on defense and struggle against the zone (B12 or PAC 12 type teams). We are not a dominating team. We played above our capabilities for the first 25 games, now we are play below. Let's hope we return to playing above our potential. The window to turn it around is starting to close. Got to right the ship soon.

If you think I don't want this team to reach the Final Four then you are dead wrong. Do I expect this team to reach the Final Four? Not really. We need a good draw that lines up teams that are soft on defense and struggle against the zone (B12 or PAC 12 type teams). We are not a dominating team. We played above our capabilities for the first 25 games, now we are play below. Let's hope we return to playing above our potential. The window to turn it around is starting to close. Got to right the ship soon.

And again, if i were to ask you 4 hours after the Gtown 38 point game last year, you would have said the same thing. No chance at a Final Four, the window is closing etc etc. We ended up making a run to a BET final and going to the Final Four.

there are no dominating teams this year. Florida struggles with bad sec teams, we have struggled with bad acc teams, Arizona struggled with some bad pac 12 teams, Kansas same in big 12. Obviously I can't make a call on Wichita since they have played nobody

Your delusional if you don't think we have issues right now. We lost to a 6 win team and 5 of our last 6 games have been a 1 possession game and I hate to tell you but none of those teams are good but duke. We have a lot of things to work on.
We do have issues and stuff to work on. But you're also delusional if you're gonna bury this team and say they won't make to the 2nd weekend of the tournament.

It's all relative. If you think we have issues what do you think about the 7 seed 8-loss team that we'll see in in the 2nd round?

And again, if i were to ask you 4 hours after the Gtown 38 point game last year, you would have said the same thing. No chance at a Final Four, the window is closing etc etc. We ended up making a run to a BET final and going to the Final Four.

Exactly - I certainly thought we had a very small chance at that point. The tourney will be about match-ups as always. We tend to play down to our opponents though, and we lack scoring, so things will probably be dicey most games. Most of this season though we were good in those situations - lately, not so much. Still, with a healthy Grant we're pretty formidable.

Feels like bottom line, if Grant is 100% I could see a final for 4 if not better. If Grant isn't there, its a sweet 16 at best. I just keep thinking about last year and what that team did, so anything is possible :)

I was close. It wasn't a team getting hot knocking us off, but it was our lack of offense that was our downfall. That "7 or 10 seed" came in the form of an 11 seed Dayton. Oh well, I guess some of us saw this "What" loss coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom