Symir Torrence… | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence…

I think the staff thought he would be a low maintenance ( aka - non-complaining) 10- 15 mpg guy. I think that is what they got. Once the "real" games start he is going to get barely double digit minutes barring injury, fouls or JG3 brain freeze.
BINGO

In a game where we are scoring(not this one), Sy can take on a press; Girard nope. Girard needs to focus on halfcourt only where he can be the playmaker he is, instead of playing protect the ball.

Yep. Kinda 'funny'—we couldn't/didn't want to recruit over a bubble team's PG... who was expected to only be the backup to a different PG who wasn't good enough to be on the bubble team... That's in the manual for how to remain a bubble team.
Syracuse basketball is in trouble. This is a program that recruited the best athletes in the Northeast...and the country in the 1980’s/90’s. We now have guys that don’t really match up well to the guys at Colgate. What the hell is going on? The beast of the East in the 80’s is probably the 8th to 10th best program in the Northeast. Anyone getting coach P vibes here? I mean the shelf was bare by the time he left. What do they have next year? This has been years in the making, and only saved by bubble teams going on runs. It’s not sustainable. The wheels look they are about to come off...but so hope I am so wrong

I think the staff thought he would be a low maintenance ( aka - non-complaining) 10- 15 mpg guy. I think that is what they got. Once the "real" games start he is going to get barely double digit minutes barring injury, fouls or JG3 brain freeze.
The point has been made here (and it appears to be valid) that the roster would be constructed to avoid PT arguments.

Symir is happy to be home, struggled at MU but knows his role here and will get 10-15mpg regardless of how the guards are playing, and he won’t complain.

Benny is a freshman and JB can throw the classic “he’s not there yet”.

The 5 takes care of itself - it’ll be Jesse until he inevitably gets in foul trouble. Then it’s Frank. On nights Frank is awful it’ll be Junior but we cannot do that against teams with size.

There’s no Kadary or Woody. I assume the 8 guys playing know exactly what their role on this team is and there will be very little PT problems unless Benny starts getting pissed.

Jake said it in the Lafayette thread. This will be a fairly easy team for JB to coach. Mostly veterans who know what’s expected of them. The lack of talent is obvious but at this point JB can’t do anything about that

Would just like to note in regards to Symir's game tonight.

Symir played 4 mins.
He had 2 assists.

That was tied for the team high.
He tied with Buddy and Cole.
If Symir can’t get in a game like this, he’ll never play. Joe was awful on both ends and especially awful against the press. When Sy was in, VCU was still pressuring but they weren’t all over him lole they were Joe because Symir could get past them. Symir had that one drive that he got blocked, but he got to the rim with ease that play - something no one else can do

I posted a bit ago, the minute Joe has to turn his back to dribble the ball into the frontcourt he shouldn't play. We aren't creative enough to get into our flow with 10 seconds on the shot clock.

6 pts, 4 rebs, 5 asts, 5 turnovers in 21 minutes.

This is his ceiling.

I cannot even begin to understand how people believed this addition was what we needed.

Not the kid’s fault but Boeheim needs to be asked the tough questions that nobody is willing to ask.

This is his ceiling.

I cannot even begin to understand how people believed this addition was what we needed.

Not the kid’s fault but Boeheim needs to be asked the tough questions that nobody is willing to ask.
Here’s the scary thing about it.. despite his pretty bad performance … he made us much more competitive than Girard. Girard couldn’t even put the ball on the floor

This is his ceiling.

He’s not looked great but its unfair and imo not true to say this is his ceiling.

What is he good at then. Not hammering the guy but there isn’t much difference between him or Howard Washington. Seems like what you’re doing is when people used to describe a bad hitting catcher and assuming he is a good defender by default. I’m sorry, Symir doesn’t do much well on the court. It is what it is.
I think he's better than Howard Washington.

Symir was also 2-2 with the 3 pointer.

IDK, Joe had 6 TO’s the other night. Tonight Joe played 27 minutes was 1-6, 3 boards, 3 assists and 2 TO’s. But what we don’t see in the stats is that Joe just can’t run a team as a pg and can’t handle tight pressure.

I’ll take Symir’s stat line

I guess Symir is a product of his environment, and I shouldn't take it out on him, but he's a junior and is never going to be anything close to what we have seen upperclassmen guards at SU in the past.

In fact, I dare you to name a worse junior guard in the last 30 years of the program. Louie McCroskey? Josh Wright? Howard Washington?

That's the list. And I think Symir might be the third-best player on that list from a pure basketball standpoint. McCroskey and Wright were headcases but much more talented, IMO. The fourth was a throw in scholarship at the end of a cycle and there were extenuating circumstances surrounding his tenure.

Every other guard that has come through this system has been out in 2 years if they weren't good enough. But this time, we are accepting a guard who clearly isn't good enough to be a major impact because it was easy and we were desperate.

I guess that's more my frustration -- there isn't much there to improve upon from what I can see. You don't see junior point guards in college make huge leaps. He is what he is at this point.

And you look around the country at guys like Kyle Lofton at St. Bonaventure that are so much better than what we have. Look at their roster overall - Adaway, Lofton, Osunniyi, Holmes would all start and play big minutes immediately at SU. It's shocking.

I agree with this all the way. Excellent post. And on top of that, how do you not get a 4th guard, just to run practices. Symir is that 4th guard. JB forgot about getting guard number 3 for the roster.

I agree with this all the way. Excellent post. And on top of that, how do you not get a 4th guard, just to run practices. Symir is that 4th guard. JB forgot about getting guard number 3 for the roster.
They don’t have a legit starting point guard on the team .. a legit starting pg would camouflage a crap ton of the team deficiencies by facilitating others and forcing help ..

did anyone else notice that Symir's legs buckle out like a 55 year old cowboy when he shoots jumpshots?

could that be deleteriously effecting his accuracy? or is it more of a superficial idiosyncrasy?

did anyone else notice that Symir's legs buckle out like a 55 year old cowboy when he shoots jumpshots?

could that be deleteriously effecting his accuracy? or is it more of a superficial idiosyncrasy?

pnzJTq3.gif

He’s going to get better as his leash gets longer. This threads premature

He’s going to get better as his leash gets longer. This threads premature
its about mechanics not final judgment lol...he is getting better ...just wondered if anyone noticed that and has a take on how it might effect his shooting...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom