Symir Torrence… | Syracusefan.com

Symir Torrence…

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
Nice change of pace, but I’m not sure how people can watch him play and not understand we need better from that position. He’s the primary backup to essentially both guard positions and even as a backup, he’s not good enough.

Defense and ball handling are fine but you need to be some sort of threat offensively. Even on a team with capable offensive players at other positions. He doesn’t do that, and it’s why he couldn’t play at Marquette and why he isn’t good enough here.

I’m sorry but reality is we need better players.

Nice change of pace, but I’m not sure how people can watch him play and not understand we need better from that position. He’s the primary backup to essentially both guard positions and even as a backup, he’s not good enough.

Defense and ball handling are fine but you need to be some sort of threat offensively. Even on a team with capable offensive players at other positions. He doesn’t do that, and it’s why he couldn’t play at Marquette and why he isn’t good enough here.

Closed the book on the young man after 3 games, you're a real fair person.

In fairness, he's played 55 college games.
He is in a new role here and it takes time to adjust. You don't think he's nervous or stressed? He will come around.

He is in a new role here and it takes time to adjust. You don't think he's nervous or stressed? He will come around.
I hope so. We need him to be a good driver, passer and finisher.

Exactly. And it wasn’t good enough there. Just really sad that we are accepting of this level now.

It isn’t as bad as James Thues, Greg Davis & Ethan Cole, but we are on a slippery slope.

If what you say is true then aren’t we on an upward trajectory, not a downward? If he is better than those players you listed from the past and “we are accepting of this level now” then we are on the way up, not down.

If what you say is true then aren’t we on an upward trajectory, not a downward? If he is better than those players you listed from the past and “we are accepting of this level now” then we are on the way up, not down.
There have been certain peaks and valleys throughout the Boeheim era, but this is the most extended streak of double digit losses - by far. And for those saying we play more games now, fine. But we also have the worst winning percentage over the last 7 years of any 7 year span too.

he hasnt been good enough but he needs less pressure not more.

all fans can hope for is that he is feeling awkward or not used to it yet and that he will improve. I think he seems a bit stressed out there about his offense. Swider and Benny as well. Hopefully these guys can shake it off and get comfortable out there.

I think they are pressing and just need to play and relax out there.

There have been certain peaks and valleys throughout the Boeheim era, but this is the most extended streak of double digit losses - by far. And for those saying we play more games now, fine. But we also have the worst winning percentage over the last 7 years of any 7 year span too.
Saw a stat the other day that said we were something like 143-95 since the 25-0 start in 2014.

It you haven’t figured out how to make a layup by now … it ain’t going to happen

To be honest, I was expecting James Thues. He’s a serviceable back up. He shouldn’t have to score much with the shooters surrounding him.

This team has much bigger issues than the PG position. It needs better defenders and rebounders, He can help in those areas.

Pearl Washington and Sherman Douglas couldn’t help this team’s weaknessses.

You’re insane.
That may be true, but put yourself in his shoes. He's playing in his hometown before his friends and family for one of the greatest college basketball programs and has gone from a reserve role at Marquette to being a key player. That's a bigtime stage and he's still getting it all absorbed. I believe the coaches will get his head straight.

To be honest, I was expecting James Thues. He’s a serviceable back up. He shouldn’t have to score much with the shooters surrounding him.

This team has much bigger issues than the PG position. It needs better defenders and rebounders, He can help in those areas.

Pearl Washington and Sherman Douglas couldn’t help this team’s weaknessses.
I guess Symir is a product of his environment, and I shouldn't take it out on him, but he's a junior and is never going to be anything close to what we have seen upperclassmen guards at SU in the past.

In fact, I dare you to name a worse junior guard in the last 30 years of the program. Louie McCroskey? Josh Wright? Howard Washington?

That's the list. And I think Symir might be the third-best player on that list from a pure basketball standpoint. McCroskey and Wright were headcases but much more talented, IMO. The fourth was a throw in scholarship at the end of a cycle and there were extenuating circumstances surrounding his tenure.

Every other guard that has come through this system has been out in 2 years if they weren't good enough. But this time, we are accepting a guard who clearly isn't good enough to be a major impact because it was easy and we were desperate.

I guess that's more my frustration -- there isn't much there to improve upon from what I can see. You don't see junior point guards in college make huge leaps. He is what he is at this point.

And you look around the country at guys like Kyle Lofton at St. Bonaventure that are so much better than what we have. Look at their roster overall - Adaway, Lofton, Osunniyi, Holmes would all start and play big minutes immediately at SU. It's shocking.

Last edited:
It’s an indictment of the staff they they could only offer “backup minutes” to any guard in the portal. The backcourt has major holes that went unfilled because we couldn’t risk Joe’s billing as PG1.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom