Syracuse brings the eyeballs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse brings the eyeballs

B83D131A-9A51-4447-BF2E-8703F2BA31E8.jpeg

Lots of eyes in the boys! Can’t hurt recruiting, shows we have the best D A M N fanbase in college hoops!

LGO

Yes we epitomize all that NCAA hoops has going for it vs NBA.

Coach who has been here forever and is synonymous with the program.

Play in a football stadium where every big game is like an Elite 8.

Unique defense.

Recognizable players this year Buddy is the household name among casual fans.

We just haven't had a 'good' regular season since first year in the ACC. But we have been in 3/5 of the most recent Sweet 16s so thats been negated. We really need to win the next 2 games because despite the issues the program will be back where it needs to be.

What is the deal with Wisconsin showing in 2 of the top 4 viewed games? They got that sort of following?

Yes.

Also, when you think about it, a big part of college basketball marketing focuses on college head coaches. So many star come and go so far, the big name coaches are a constant the networks can rely on...people virtually every college basketball fan knows.

But Calipari, Coach K and Roy Williams are gone. The only big name coach left in the tournament is James Arthur Boeheim.

Also, I think the networks love it when there is a star player in the tournament whose head coach also happens to be his father.

At this point, Buddy has captured the attention of the nation. I think he has been the most outstanding player in the tournament so far and with his father such a huge name in college basketball, this is a big national story.

I see Syracuse getting a lot of ink from a wide range of media right now. This team is a huge story media want to talk and write about (and people want to see play).
All of this makes perfect sense but then I don't understand why Syracuse-Houston is on TBS.

I guess CBS wanted the Baylor/Nova game instead on Saturday. There is 1 CBS game and the other 3 Saturday games are on TBS.

IMHO the Baylor/Nova game could be a Baylor blow out similar to the Baylor/WI game while the Syracuse/Houston should be very competitive.

The only big name coach left in the tournament is James Arthur Boeheim.

Also, I think the networks love it when there is a star player in the tournament whose head coach also happens to be his father.

At this point, Buddy has captured the attention of the nation. I think he has been the most outstanding player in the tournament so far and with his father such a huge name in college basketball, this is a big national story.

I see Syracuse getting a lot of ink from a wide range of media right now. This team is a huge story media want to talk and write about (and people want to see play).
Truth here...although the mainstream media (as opposed to sports media) really hasn't jumped on the dad and son story.
Yet.

The photo chosen here - albeit unreferenced - and posted an hour ago suggests it may be THE most-pushed story in the buildup to the game.

As usual with modern sports...it's all about the Benjamins.

A 9:55 start gets the bulk of the game on in primetime in Houston (the 8th largest TV market) as well as the west coast. And Syracuse brings interest in New York and New Jersey.
And it gets the first half in primetime in the east...where there are a lot of Syracuse fans and others who may be interested in the Boeheim saga.

The big game on CBS Saturday is Baylor-Nova...getting the Dallas (5th market) and Philly (4th TV market) which combined have more TV households than every place except New York City.

And one other very small factor that may be involved in the late SU-Houston start is that Saturday night is the beginning of Passover. And, curiously enough, the game starts about the time many first night seders may be ending in the east and central time zones.

Last edited:
Yes.

Also, when you think about it, a big part of college basketball marketing focuses on college head coaches. So many star come and go so far, the big name coaches are a constant the networks can rely on...people virtually every college basketball fan knows.

But Calipari, Coach K and Roy Williams are gone. The only big name coach left in the tournament is James Arthur Boeheim.

This year that's all true.

I'm not sure that there's a bigger discrepancy in 'brand resonance', and program potential, between basketball and football among P5 schools as there is with Syracuse.

In football we are fighting as big of an uphill climb as any P5 program in the country when it comes to our home recruiting region, fan base size, financial resources, etc. But in hoops, we're a goliath across all of those things.

I think this Saturdays game time is perfect .
It's a terrible time for both Syracuse and Houston. The team we will play in just two days would have played hours earlier. The winner of our game on late Saturday night will not get to sleep until 2 a.m. 3 a.m. at the earliest. Our coaches game prep starts much later than our opponent. it is a terrible starting time for us.

The TruTV games inevitably have smaller numbers, but if you look at 2019's data further down the page, our game was on TruTV and although the numbers are characteristically bad, it was the top rated game of the first two rounds on TruTV.
I spend two hours just trying to find it on the TV.

This is one of many reasons why the Syracuse program, beyond Boeheim, is set up for success for the next guy. The fanbase is more rabid and the national brand is stronger than most schools outside of the blue bloods and a few of the Big10 programs. Still have to make a good hire of course!
Thank goodness doc hollywood will not be the one making that decision!!!!

Truth here...although the mainstream media (as opposed to sports media) really hasn't jumped on the dad and son story.
Yet.

The photo chosen here - albeit unreferenced - and posted an hour ago suggests it may be THE most-pushed story in the buildup to the game.

A 9:55 start gets the bulk of the game on in primetime in Houston (the 8th largest TV market) as well as the west coast. And Syracuse brings interest in New York and New Jersey.
And it gets the first half in primetime in the east...where there are a lot of Syracuse fans and others who may be interested in the Boeheim saga.

The big game on CBS Saturday is Baylor-Nova...getting the Dallas (5th market) and Philly (4th TV market) which combined have more TV households than every place except New York City.

And one other very small factor that may be involved in the late SU-Houston start is that Saturday night is the beginning of Passover. And, curiously enough, the game starts about the time many first night seders may be ending in the east and central time zones.
It’s almost like the networks have ... market ratings or programming/CBB knowledge/time zone EXPERTS.

But, I think the reality is they simply want to screw around with JAB and our entire fanbase.

Yes.

Yep, we have brand and a story line. A producers dream.

Yet.

As usual with modern sports everything. . . it's all about the Benjamins.

That is awesome and says a lot about the popularity of our basketball program and Could even though it shouldn't gives the committee something to think about besides basketball.
This is one reason we typically survive the bubble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom