Syracuse football 2018 updated roster (freshmen numbers, heights/weights) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football 2018 updated roster (freshmen numbers, heights/weights)

Agree, he hasn't made an impact. He looks great walking off the bus, but thus far, has been a huge disappointment. Not someone we can count on. Its obviously gameday motor and competitive fire.
We see the measurables and expect Calvin Johnson. But reality is he’s rice moss with a better body and much less durability

I have my doubts about the T2, and this is the primary reason. We basically need to recruit NFL skill set lbs to be effective.
I hear your concerns, but aren’t we always saying that we have to recruit NFL caliber at every position just to be competitive in our division?

... what impact?

If you’re saying “no impact” but he’s scored, you’re definition is broken

I’m fine with”limited” impact or “hasn’t lived up to the hype”... there have been guys on scholarship who’ve never sniffed the field. That’s “no impact”

If you’re saying “no impact” but he’s scored, you’re definition is broken

I’m fine with”limited” impact or “hasn’t lived up to the hype”... there have been guys on scholarship who’ve never sniffed the field. That’s “no impact”
He scored a 47 yard touchdown last season on a busted coverage. That was more than a third of his receiving yards for the whole season. We have differing opinions on how to define that, but the reality is the same.

Offense: Our whole Oline
Def: Richards or Armstrong. Really will need one of our new linebackers to “breakout” this season.

I see here a lot of people have a ton of faith in Armstrong at lb. I don’t really see it cause when I watched him he made some tackles but he is a catching linebacker and not a downhill lb. difference being one is coming forward and makes a 1 yard tackle and the other is waiting for back to get to him for a 4 yard tackle. Every great lb we have had other than Greenwood is a downhill guy. Maybe I am wrong but I just don’t see his physicality being a major strength. Ur in that spot to snot knocker someone often. Just don’t see him being that guy. I hope I am wrong or someone else steps up cause we will need it.

I see here a lot of people have a ton of faith in Armstrong at lb. I don’t really see it cause when I watched him he made some tackles but he is a catching linebacker and not a downhill lb. difference being one is coming forward and makes a 1 yard tackle and the other is waiting for back to get to him for a 4 yard tackle. Every great lb we have had other than Greenwood is a downhill guy. Maybe I am wrong but I just don’t see his physicality being a major strength. Ur in that spot to snot knocker someone often. Just don’t see him being that guy. I hope I am wrong or someone else steps up cause we will need it.
Ive seen that in Armstrong too. Maybe he's still shaking off his days of playing safety. Im hoping to see some improvement in that. Maybe we can give him a lot of pressure packages to help get him flowing down hill more.

Last edited:
As long as we're comparing physical size and weight, I thought I'd do the LB group and compare them to two of the best ever. This could be our weakest position considering the loss of two very good ones in Franklin and Bennet.

Physical Attributes

Willis and Lewis both have elite physical attributes, which is one reason why both of them have been so successful in the NFL. They both measure in at 6'1" and 240 pounds, and possess sideline-to-sideline speed.
As the NFL evolves, players keep getting bigger and faster, so it's no surprise that Willis is a bit faster than Lewis. Lewis ran a 4.58-second 40-yard dash at his pro day back in 1996, per 40-yard-dash-times.com.

Willis ran a 4.51-second 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine, but he wowed scouts at his pro day by running it in 4.37 seconds, per NFLdraftscout.com.

Don't know if I believe the 4.37 so I'll stick with his 4.51 which at that weight for a linebacker is very fast as is Lewis 4.58. One of the reasons they were both so good. Obviously they both hit very,very hard.

Our Roster 2018 – 19

Tim Walton 6'2” 232, RSO

Shyheim Cullen 6' 244, RJR

Nadarius Fagan 6'1”, 213 SO

Tre Allison 6'2” 230,

Juan Wallace 6'2” 215

Kadeem Trotter 6”@” 206, RF

Ryan Guthrie 6”2” 224, S

Lakiem Williams 6' 234, JR

Zack Lesko 6' 219, RSO

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, can fill the shoes of Franklin and Bennet. I have no idea about 40 times for this group do you? GOSU :)
I heard Lakeim is the fastest followed by Shy.

I hear your concerns, but aren’t we always saying that we have to recruit NFL caliber at every position just to be competitive in our division?

Not sure that's the case. No team has pro talent at every level. Its more the sum of the parts generally. However, the T2 highlights the need for special talent. Our last 1/3 of the season break down on D has been due in part to depth but scheme has a part too. Dino's last 2 teams at BGU gave up an average of 30 and 40 points the last 4 ganes of the season.

Look at who he got the defense from. The top 1-AA team in the country. They also have top kids in each spot for 1-AA. Their talent level for that level is top notch. Not sure it’s gonna work here but again I here some change happening and maybe we sway away from it more and more.

He scored a 47 yard touchdown last season on a busted coverage. That was more than a third of his receiving yards for the whole season. We have differing opinions on how to define that, but the reality is the same.

No - the reality that he saw the field and produced anything is a sign that he’s not worth giving up on.

I think we’d agree that it’s more likely that his last season is more like the first 3 than like AET’s last.

I’m in the camp that we got a lot of answers about the style of D working in the first half of the season.

We need a rangey safety or two and a MLB with size and coverage skills. I think we already have that on our roster.

Our youngish DL is coming along to help Slayton.

And lastly - if you’re expecting the D numbers to look like Shafers, you’ll never be sold on this D. What numbers we’re looking at needs to change since the O is putting them in bad spots. (A trade off I’m more than fine with)

Look at who he got the defense from. The top 1-AA team in the country. They also have top kids in each spot for 1-AA. Their talent level for that level is top notch. Not sure it’s gonna work here but again I here some change happening and maybe we sway away from it more and more.

Lest we forget that NDSU regularly smokes P5 opponents, with less talent, while running the T2.

This is exactly the lb we need. Downhill guys don't excel in the T2. We need guys that can play in space and cover. Think Armstrong can do that.

Lest we forget that NDSU regularly smokes P5 opponents, with less talent, while running the T2.

Regularly smokes? How many P5s do they play in a year? 2?

Regularly smokes? How many P5s do they play in a year? 2?
They play P5 teams semi-regularly. No less often than any other FCS school. Regardless, they beat #13 Iowa in Iowa two years ago. Also, I legitimately cannot remember the last time that they lost to a P5 school, but I know like 5 times that they beat P5 opponents off the top of my head.

Last edited:
They play P5 teams semi-regularly. No less often than any other FCS school. Regardless, they beat #13 Iowa in Iowa two years ago. Also, I legitimately cannot remember the last time that they lost to a P5 school, but I know like 5 times that they beat P5 opponents off the top of my head.

Ok, i get it, but its easy to get up for those teams 1-2×/year. A consistent P5 schedule is a whole different world.

Ok, i get it, but its easy to get up for those teams 1-2×/year. A consistent P5 schedule is a whole different world.
That's a very fair point. I guess my point is that you don't need NFL talent to play in the T2. You do, however, need T2 players. I think tall and athletic players like Tyrell Richards, Tre Allison, Eric Coley, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Duwayne Johnson, Andre Cisco, etc. will show that the system is workable with the right players.

That's a very fair point. I guess my point is that you don't need NFL talent to play in the T2. You do, however, need T2 players. I think tall and athletic players like Tyrell Richards, Tre Allison, Eric Coley, Ifeatu Melifonwu, Duwayne Johnson, Andre Cisco, etc. will show that the system is workable with the right players.

I agree, we are better armed this year, But remember, Dino's last 2 teams with sig depth gave up an average of 30 and 40 points the last 3-4 games of the season at BGU.

I agree, we are better armed this year, But remember, Dino's last 2 teams with sig depth gave up an average of 30 and 40 points the last 3-4 games of the season at BGU.

I can only speak for his MAC championship at BGSU because I admittedly didn't watch too many of his other games. However, IIRC, his championship defense fell apart because he was up by 3 TDs in the first half. I think that speaks to discipline more than anything else. I could easily be wrong though.

This is exactly the lb we need. Downhill guys don't excel in the T2. We need guys that can play in space and cover. Think Armstrong can do that.
But see that goes against anyone that ever played defense natural thought process. No other school in P-5 run it for a reason. It’s a wait and see defense. No other school in P-5 run it for a reason. It’s a wait and see defense what the o does and then react accordingly and usually too late. My point is how do we have an attacking Offense but not an attacking defense. Makes no sense to me and never will. Now are we still 100 percent t-2 or as I have heard gonna be more aggressive? U can’t do both. Either read and react or downhill. My opinion is from how I was taught to play and my coach wanted fast and aggressive. I couldn’t have played in a read and react personally. Let’s hope whatever the heck we run it’s done well.

The OL HAS to have to have a break out season, it should.

D...no particular player but honestly, they have to get more turnovers and will. Need DL pressure and ball hawks at DB. If Black and/or Coleman stay healthy...watch out.

….. No other school in P-5 run it for a reason. It’s a wait and see defense what the o does and then react accordingly and usually too late. My point is how do we have an attacking Offense but not an attacking defense. Makes no sense to me and never will. Now are we still 100 percent t-2 or as I have heard gonna be more aggressive? …..
To my eyes, Ward's defense was more aggressive in 2017 than in 2016. And, the D was notably better in October against some good teams, when the starters were healthy. Ward is a relatively young DC -- still evolving. In his 3rd season here, he has DEs who are experienced and ACC size. Putting aside labels (T2), I expect this DL will produce more pressures and sacks.