Syracuse football 2018 updated roster (freshmen numbers, heights/weights) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football 2018 updated roster (freshmen numbers, heights/weights)

To my eyes, Ward's defense was more aggressive in 2017 than in 2016. And, the D was notably better in October against some good teams, when the starters were healthy. Ward is a relatively young DC -- still evolving. In his 3rd season here, he has DEs who are experienced and ACC size. Putting aside labels (T2), I expect this DL will produce more pressures and sacks.

Ward's defense was fine until it ran out of humans. Getting to the point of putting Guthrie down at DE, with Berry on the other side, and asking them to play 90% of the snaps. How did anyone ever run the ball on us?

If we don't run out of humans this year, it will be better in November. If we do, then avert your eyes again.

No other school in P-5 run it for a reason.

do you know this for a fact? that no other P5 runs it?

I hated the T2 when it was first sold to us, I favor an attacking D. But this isn't a traditional T2 we're trying to run. There's many different elements mixed in and it's evolving based on our personnel. What we're trying to do is growing on me more because I understand it.

With better DE and Safety play, along with depth, it should start to uptick. LBs are green and could be an issue but a better front 4 and safety play will help. Our green DE's got abused playing assignment football, I assume they'll be better for it.

EVERY team in college runs the tampa 2. most use it less.. a 4-3 with 2 corners and 2 safeties is using some version of Tampa 2.. it really just comes down to do you have the MLB dropping back deeper in coverage.

tampa 2 issues

really you need a dline to make it work best. it does simplify some things. you sure cant run it if 80% of your D is hurt but tampa 2 wasnt our issue last year.

We've had the 5th year light go on for people in the past. Let's hope.

It's not where I'd be betting my $ though.
If he puts up a thousand yards this season, I will be elated. I'm just being obnoxiously realistic.

If he puts up a thousand yards this season, I will be elated. I'm just being obnoxiously realistic.

I'd be elated with 30+ catches, 600 yards, and a few TDs. I think that's his ceiling, I just hope he can get there.

I just hope Butler can double that on the other side. Or else Pierce takes off consistently each game.

I'd be elated with 30+ catches, 600 yards, and a few TDs. I think that's his ceiling, I just hope he can get there.

I just hope Butler can double that on the other side. Or else Pierce takes off consistently each game.
I meant that more of I'll be thrilled to be wrong. Don't have a benchmark of yardage.

I wonder if we see more WR this year and less of the same guys every set of downs.. last year it was Ish and Irv and then someone. will they do that with Butler/Custis/etc or mix it up a lot more

I agree, we are better armed this year, But remember, Dino's last 2 teams with sig depth gave up an average of 30 and 40 points the last 3-4 games of the season at BGU.

What kind of defense did he run at BGU? Was it the same defense with the same defensive coordinator?

…...

With better DE and Safety play, along with depth, it should start to uptick. LBs are green and could be an issue but a better front 4 and safety play will help. Our green DE's got abused playing assignment football, I assume they'll be better for it.
Yes, and now our DEs will be playing at 250 to 265 lbs, with 2 years of playing experience.

It is true our LBs haven't played a lot in their current positions. Whitner (a SR) is the likely starter at SAM -- he played some safety as a true frosh; he has started 3 or 4 games at safety. Armstrong (JR) is the likely starter at WIL -- he has played some LB as a true frosh and was a core member of coverage teams. Guthrie (SR) is the likely starter at MLB -- he was a star LB in jucos, contributed as an undersized DE for us last season because Franklin owned the MLB position. This trio is not a match for the talent we had, but the rest of the defense returns.

Almost everyone uses Tampa 2 situationally. Anytime you see the mike lb drop back into the deep middle to form a high cover 3 with 2 high safeties that is Tampa 2. Pay attention and you'll see it used by alot of teams, very common in 3rd and long situations against teams that can attack the deep field.

Another thing, you guys act like the only defense Syracuse runs is Tampa 2. You're not paying attention if that's what you think. Ward has been very creative and has actually installed alot of defense. They used lots of different coverages, brought zone blitzes, blitzed from the corner, from the nickel, overload, twists. They did all kinds of things to generate pressure the last 2 years. It's NOT A SCHEME ISSUE! (I'm blue in the face)

To my eyes, Ward's defense was more aggressive in 2017 than in 2016. And, the D was notably better in October against some good teams, when the starters were healthy. Ward is a relatively young DC -- still evolving. In his 3rd season here, he has DEs who are experienced and ACC size. Putting aside labels (T2), I expect this DL will produce more pressures and sacks.
I do agree and hopefully it continues.

do you know this for a fact? that no other P5 runs it?

I hated the T2 when it was first sold to us, I favor an attacking D. But this isn't a traditional T2 we're trying to run. There's many different elements mixed in and it's evolving based on our personnel. What we're trying to do is growing on me more because I understand it.

No not 100 percent fact. I just haven’t heard anyone else run it. Maybe we are becoming more and more aggressive and I’m hoping it works. And ur right it isn’t a true T2.

What kind of defense did he run at BGU? Was it the same defense with the same defensive coordinator?
He brought in Ward during his second year at Bowling Green. Kim McCloud was the DC before that.

Almost everyone uses Tampa 2 situationally. Anytime you see the mike lb drop back into the deep middle to form a high cover 3 with 2 high safeties that is Tampa 2. Pay attention and you'll see it used by alot of teams, very common in 3rd and long situations against teams that can attack the deep field.

Another thing, you guys act like the only defense Syracuse runs is Tampa 2. You're not paying attention if that's what you think. Ward has been very creative and has actually installed alot of defense. They used lots of different coverages, brought zone blitzes, blitzed from the corner, from the nickel, overload, twists. They did all kinds of things to generate pressure the last 2 years. It's NOT A SCHEME ISSUE! (I'm blue in the face)
Been saying this for so long. lol. Not sure why people don't see it.

Yes, and now our DEs will be playing at 250 to 265 lbs, with 2 years of playing experience.

It is true our LBs haven't played a lot in their current positions. Whitner (a SR) is the likely starter at SAM -- he played some safety as a true frosh; he has started 3 or 4 games at safety. Armstrong (JR) is the likely starter at WIL -- he has played some LB as a true frosh and was a core member of coverage teams. Guthrie (SR) is the likely starter at MLB -- he was a star LB in jucos, contributed as an undersized DE for us last season because Franklin owned the MLB position. This trio is not a match for the talent we had, but the rest of the defense returns.
Great points. One of the issues last year was depth, especially at the end of the season when we had some injuries. Defense was banged up overall. LB is definitely a concern. What I am hoping will happen is that the new starters that were picked for this scheme (had 2 years to learn it) will make them just as more productive as Zaire and Bennett. The other thing I hope for is that we play more throughout the season. Lakiem, Shy, Walton or Wallace can hopefully get reps and be just as productive. The new redshirt rule will help too. I would think Babers will save those freshmans for the last 4 games if he can.

Last edited:
Great points. One of the issues last year was depth, especially at the end of the season when we had some injuries. Defense was banged up overall. LB is definitely a concern. What I am hoping will happen is the new starters that were picked for this scheme (had 2 years to learn it) will make them just as more productive as Zaire and Bennett. The other thing I hope for is that we play more throughout the season. Lakiem, Shy, Walton or Wallace can hopefully get reps and be just as productive. The new redshirt rule will help too. I would think Babers will save those freshmans for the last 4 games if he can.

agreed. One thing I mentioned a few days ago is hoping we get the 2 and 3 deep a lot of snaps in September when we can. Keep the 1's fresher and get the bench experience.

and the staff isnt oblivious to the collapses, they know they need to find a way to get everyone through a full season.

As long as we're comparing physical size and weight, I thought I'd do the LB group and compare them to two of the best ever. This could be our weakest position considering the loss of two very good ones in Franklin and Bennet.

Physical Attributes

Willis and Lewis both have elite physical attributes, which is one reason why both of them have been so successful in the NFL. They both measure in at 6'1" and 240 pounds, and possess sideline-to-sideline speed.
As the NFL evolves, players keep getting bigger and faster, so it's no surprise that Willis is a bit faster than Lewis. Lewis ran a 4.58-second 40-yard dash at his pro day back in 1996, per 40-yard-dash-times.com.

Willis ran a 4.51-second 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine, but he wowed scouts at his pro day by running it in 4.37 seconds, per NFLdraftscout.com.

Don't know if I believe the 4.37 so I'll stick with his 4.51 which at that weight for a linebacker is very fast as is Lewis 4.58. One of the reasons they were both so good. Obviously they both hit very,very hard.

Our Roster 2018 – 19

Tim Walton 6'2” 232, RSO

Shyheim Cullen 6' 244, RJR

Nadarius Fagan 6'1”, 213 SO

Tre Allison 6'2” 230,

Juan Wallace 6'2” 215

Kadeem Trotter 6”@” 206, RF

Ryan Guthrie 6”2” 224, S

Lakiem Williams 6' 234, JR

Zack Lesko 6' 219, RSO

Andrew Armstrong 6'2" 228, JR

Tyrell Richards 6'4" 227, RF

It will be interesting to see who, if anyone, can fill the shoes of Franklin and Bennet. I have no idea about 40 times for this group do you? GOSU :)
Shy weighs 233 right now. Shy ran a 4.57 a few weeks ago and him lakiem and trotter are the fastest. Not sure of others actual times but I do know there is a considerable drop in speed after those guys.

But see that goes against anyone that ever played defense natural thought process. No other school in P-5 run it for a reason. It’s a wait and see defense. No other school in P-5 run it for a reason. It’s a wait and see defense what the o does and then react accordingly and usually too late. My point is how do we have an attacking Offense but not an attacking defense. Makes no sense to me and never will. Now are we still 100 percent t-2 or as I have heard gonna be more aggressive? U can’t do both. Either read and react or downhill. My opinion is from how I was taught to play and my coach wanted fast and aggressive. I couldn’t have played in a read and react personally. Let’s hope whatever the heck we run it’s done well.

You are preaching to the choir brother. I am not a T2 proponent and have always believed in an attacking style. That said, we did blitz more than normal last year. Also, when you dont recruit downhill backers ypu are very susceptible to teams that will smash you in the face like BC.

You are preaching to the choir brother. I am not a T2 proponent and have always believed in an attacking style. That said, we did blitz more than normal last year. Also, when you dont recruit downhill backers ypu are very susceptible to teams that will smash you in the face like BC.

BC (and Pitt) are the only two teams on our annual schedule that play smash mouth. The rest of the league is WC/spread. We have to defend that and take our chances with downhill running teams.

We have to get to the point where BC has to pass it against us to stay in the game because we're scoring points. You can't go 3 and out against BC/Pitt.

BC (and Pitt) are the only two teams on our annual schedule that play smash mouth. The rest of the league is WC/spread. We have to defend that and take our chances with downhill running teams.

We have to get to the point where BC has to pass it against us to stay in the game because we're scoring points. You can't go 3 and out against BC/Pitt.

Yup, agree, all is well if we jump on top and get them chasing.

just fricking make tackles.. for all the yds and points last year, most of it was just because we missed he TB in the hole 75% of the time. tampa 2 has issues but stopping the power run isnt one of them.

EVERY team in college runs the tampa 2. most use it less.. a 4-3 with 2 corners and 2 safeties is using some version of Tampa 2.. it really just comes down to do you have the MLB dropping back deeper in coverage.

Lol, whoa, most college teams bring at least one backer and db every play and dont ask their lbs to drop into coverage 3/4 of the snaps. Also, in most P5 defenses, the safeties are threatening at the LOS. Every team does not play the T2. They may on 3rd and long or other situations the offense isnt on schedule, but come on. And this whole thing that this is the D that best compliments our speedy offense is BS. All of cfb is playing fast and running RPOs.