Syracuse football 2018 updated roster (freshmen numbers, heights/weights) | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football 2018 updated roster (freshmen numbers, heights/weights)

I wonder if we see more WR this year and less of the same guys every set of downs.. last year it was Ish and Irv and then someone. will they do that with Butler/Custis/etc or mix it up a lot more

???? How shall they mix it up? Those were our best skill guys. Those were our receivers. Not sure what you are looking fir. One new spin could be a dedication to throwing down the middle, inside the #'s to all receivers.

Been saying this for so long. lol. Not sure why people don't see it.

Yes, we all understand it. However, while i understand a game calls for a mix of schemes, we mostly play T2 to bend but not break to, in part, give the offense a blow after quick drives. Again, all of cfb plays an attacking scheme with RPO offenses. How do they do it? Yes, part of it is depth and part of it is the fact they just play ball and target turnovers and hell, they are 18-23 yo athletes in top shape. Its overblown. I would love for us to develop depth and grow into an attacking style. Its obviously possible being done in most of cfb.

Some notable weight changes from last year:

Scoop Bradshaw 168>181
Dontae Strickland 207>204
Antwan Cordy 181>177
Sean Riley 155>158
Jamel Custis 227>213
Devin Butler 196>194
Russell Bishop-Thompson 200>215
Evan Foster 211>223

Mo Neal 182>191
Shyheim Cullen 209>224
Guthrie 215>224
Richards 212>227
Iffy 195>200
Ruff 282>296
Harper 300>312
Coleman 240>266
D Davis 315>327
Kingsley 245>256

Roberts 297>292
Conway 296>296
E Adams 338>326
Byrne 299>292
Servais 305>292
P Davis 320>318
Duerig 321>308
Heckel 292>294
Clark 292>310
Jordan 195>202
N Johnson 163>167
S Johnson 170>174
Black 250>272
Hackett 230>228
Pierce 237>244
Morton 220>243
Robinson 245>249
Slayton 315>309
Berry 232>251
Williams 292>295
Pickard 250>251

Player highlighted if weight changed by 10 pounds or more...
S/C program paying big dividends.

According to the Syracuse Athletics Roster DeVito is up five pounds, 205>211.
And if we had that level of depth at other positions, we'd be projected top 3 in the division instead of second or third from the bottom.

Yes, we all understand it. However, while i understand a game calls for a mix of schemes, we mostly play T2 to bend but not break to, in part, give the offense a blow after quick drives. Again, all of cfb plays an attacking scheme with RPO offenses. How do they do it? Yes, part of it is depth and part of it is the fact they just play ball and target turnovers and hell, they are 18-23 yo athletes in top shape. Its overblown. I would love for us to develop depth and grow into an attacking style. Its obviously possible being done in most of cfb.
Their philosphy is not to attack as much. They have their reasons for it. I know they blitzed a lot on 3rd downs. I coach and Ive always been a heavy pressure guy. Doesnt mean my defenses are better than others. I personally prefer to bring pressure on RPO plays. Im a high risk high reward guy. Of course Ive been burned at times. Sometimes personel dictakes what you do most. Also, there is a lot of great defenses that are less aggresive but are fundamentally sound, smart and play well within the scheme. We have to be creative with the scheme. The threat of bringing pressure is just as important.

But see that goes against anyone that ever played defense natural thought process. No other school in P-5 run it for a reason. It’s a wait and see defense. No other school in P-5 run it for a reason. It’s a wait and see defense what the o does and then react accordingly and usually too late. My point is how do we have an attacking Offense but not an attacking defense. Makes no sense to me and never will. Now are we still 100 percent t-2 or as I have heard gonna be more aggressive? U can’t do both. Either read and react or downhill. My opinion is from how I was taught to play and my coach wanted fast and aggressive. I couldn’t have played in a read and react personally. Let’s hope whatever the heck we run it’s done well.

It makes no sense to have an attacking risky D and a tempo O

S/C program paying big dividends.

Yes it is, we have a top notch s&c staff. Cutting edge with a comprehensive approach targeting functional strength, athleticism, flexibility, and skills needed on gameday.

Think there's a better chance of RTB, Cam Jordan, or Hendrix breaking out than Custis. And I was a huge Custis believer, just don't think it's gonna happen for him.

Think there's a better chance of RTB, Cam Jordan, or Hendrix breaking out than Custis. And I was a huge Custis believer, just don't think it's gonna happen for him.

I am sort of surprised that we haven’t heard more about the RS Freshmen. We hear a bit about S. Johnson, but RTB and Cam Jordan were all pretty well regarded recruits.

I am sort of surprised that we haven’t heard more about the RS Freshmen. We hear a bit about S. Johnson, but RTB and Cam Jordan were all pretty well regarded recruits.
Yeah, I dont hear much about those guys excect for Sharod. I have a feeling one of them might surprise us. I think Hendrix will contribute alot also.

???? How shall they mix it up? Those were our best skill guys. Those were our receivers. Not sure what you are looking fir. One new spin could be a dedication to throwing down the middle, inside the #'s to all receivers.
not what i was saying. last year we lived and died with those 2 and maybe 1-2 more guys. I am wondering if we have a rotation of 2-3 guys who see 90% of the snaps again or we see 6-7 guys all seeing 30-40% of the snaps, just because no one separates themselves.

not what i was saying. last year we lived and died with those 2 and maybe 1-2 more guys. I am wondering if we have a rotation of 2-3 guys who see 90% of the snaps again or we see 6-7 guys all seeing 30-40% of the snaps, just because no one separates themselves.

We will be lucky to get the catches ish and erv had last year. The system calls for the ball to go to those positions. Outside and slot. We can only hope to get 40+ receptions from peirce and some guys that step up at the outside and inside wr positions. Add a better running game and hope things opem up there.

You are preaching to the choir brother. I am not a T2 proponent and have always believed in an attacking style. That said, we did blitz more than normal last year. Also, when you dont recruit downhill backers ypu are very susceptible to teams that will smash you in the face like BC.
So true. Can’t beat Dillon unless u put him on his heals somehow.

It makes no sense to have an attacking risky D and a tempo O
Doesn’t Clemson have an attacking (tempo) offense. May not be best example but u call our O a tempo o and I call it aggressive. Same O, different wording. Their defense is attacking all the time even with four first teamers as all acc. Florida state kinda aggressive defense now keeping same D but becoming an aggressive O (tempo). All I’m saying is natural tendicies run on aggression. Flight or fight concept. Not even saying we can’t win with T-2, but just not a great fit. Down the road if u prove me wrong, I will eat crow gladly. Just my thoughts.

Ruff has worked his way into being a top talent playing in either A gap. All after he arrived as a lb at about 245.

Do we know anything about his talent? He definitely has the size, but has he been productive? I'm not trying to be snarky; I legitimately don't know.

Doesn’t Clemson have an attacking (tempo) offense. May not be best example but u call our O a tempo o and I call it aggressive. Same O, different wording. Their defense is attacking all the time even with four first teamers as all acc. Florida state kinda aggressive defense now keeping same D but becoming an aggressive O (tempo). All I’m saying is natural tendicies run on aggression. Flight or fight concept. Not even saying we can’t win with T-2, but just not a great fit. Down the road if u prove me wrong, I will eat crow gladly. Just my thoughts.
Either way we win. So I hope either one of us is right and we still kick ars. GO ORANGE.

I mean, for the sake of beating this dead horse again, we did play with the T2 last season. We were fine through the first 8 games.

I mean, for the sake of beating this dead horse again, we did play with the T2 last season. We were fine through the first 8 games.
As I am told yes but more aggressive. I have heard we will be more physical this year and hoping it’s true.

Do we know anything about his talent? He definitely has the size, but has he been productive? I'm not trying to be snarky; I legitimately don't know.

Nope, nobody knows, just going on his work ethic and frame. Players with lb quickness and feet might do well inside.

it helps if the QB makes the right reads though. We missed a ton of big plays the last couple years because we threw to the 2 big guys because it was open and not to the correct guy.

it helps if the QB makes the right reads though. We missed a ton of big plays the last couple years because we threw to the 2 big guys because it was open and not to the correct guy.

True...hopefully confidence in his OL will help him be more confident behind the line and with quick checkoffs.