Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football defensive tackle Steven Clark's career put in jeopardy by blood clots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if him going to the press is a strategy that the coaching staff likes. Maybe puts pressure on the administration.
I am guessing this is the ulterior motive to them being 100% behind Steven (apart from them wanting to see Steven get a chance to play again and go out on his own terms).

Still don't understand how you as his father cannot sign a legally binding waiver absolving SU from any responsibility if anything should happen by him playing. I am sure this has been addressed in the previous 25 pages but still seems weird, although I am not a lawyer.
Because Stephen is an adult. He can sign his own waiver, however.
The parents can sign their own waiver so that could not sue anyone as a result of the wrongful death.

Last edited:
Cant blame Steven one bit!!! Have to see it through, the time is now and then there will be no regrets. If he was good enough to be recruited by, then start for a P5 team; then he needs to take playing as far as he can and not be sabotaged by some primary physician in over his head practicing cover your butt medicine. Good for you Steven.

My guess is that behind the scenes there are a great number of conversations going on about the high rate of DQs at Syracuse and that this issue is bringing things to the front. Pure speculation on my part.
I know of at least one person who has brought it to their attention. ;)
I suspect that others have as well.

I know of at least one person who has brought it to their attention. ;)
I suspect that others have as well.
I sure as hell hope so.

BTW, a new tidbit of information. Steven was wanting a confab with Tucker this week; was told by med staff that Tucker was out. He found out yesterday that the med staff BSed him. Tucker's been there all week. Doesn't wanna talk to Steven, at all, apparently.

My opinion? The exam to be done in Rochester is probably a waste of time.

I sure as hell hope so.

BTW, a new tidbit of information. Steven was wanting a confab with Tucker this week; was told by med staff that Tucker was out. He found out yesterday that the med staff BSed him. Tucker's been there all week. Doesn't wanna talk to Steven, at all, apparently.

Wow, talk about cowardly. This is a doctor ducking a college student that wants to talk more about his diagnosis. Horrible is not a strong enough word.

Wow, talk about cowardly. This is a doctor ducking a college student that wants to talk more about his diagnosis. Horrible is not a strong enough word.
And Steven still hasn't heard from either DiFino or Tucker as to why he was taken off the Xarelto back in April...

The best scenario is for Tucker & staff to be fired or retired involuntarily NOW. New staff gets in, Steven gets re-evaluated, and gets reinstated. No guarantee he gets reinstated by new staff, but that's the only scenario I see for Steven at SU. Tucker is way too old, stubborn and prideful to admit he has done anything wrong for fear of losing his job and status at SUAD (and potential lawsuit).

A lot has to happen ASAP. Nobody including Wildhack seems to have any balls up at SU or SUAD to "evaluate" the medical program & staff at SU (who's evaluating the evaluators).

While age shouldn't be a factor if you keep up with changes in medical technology, Tucker has proven he is not going to change any process in his old age and hasn't kept up with modern medical sports team best practices (similar to the S&C program we had here pre Dino). Nuff said.

If you guys think a school is suddenly going to be less conservative about medical issues involving a player and long term liability you're not paying attention.

This situation however seems needless.

Agree with the first part. As to the second, only one side is being presented here, and it's not coming from anyone with technical expertise. (And why I keep clicking on the alert for this thread, I don't know.)

If you guys think a school is suddenly going to be less conservative about medical issues involving a player and long term liability you're not paying attention.

This situation however seems needless.
Assumption of risk is an easy defense for any lawsuit filed as long as SU's medical team is competent.

It's fine to be conservative but there is a difference between being conservative and doing your job fairly. This doctor should meet with any patient and not hide from them. I believe Mr.Clark when he says his son wants to meet with this Doc and he won't meet him.

Assumption of risk is an easy defense for any lawsuit filed as long as SU's medical team is competent.

It's fine to be conservative but there is a difference between being conservative and doing your job fairly. This doctor should meet with any patient and not hide from them. I believe Mr.Clark when he says his son wants to meet with this Doc and he won't meet him.

I totally believe it, Tucker is a gutless hack

That doc is propped up in the role of a judge, the whole process is lousy.

True and if any one at SU, such as Wildhack, wanted to pursue a change (not saying that they do, but only if they did), it would most likely be put off for at least a year or two so as not to make it appear it is being done because of this particular case. It's CYA all around. My heart goes out to Steven and his family and hope for the best.

Cheers,
Neil

True and if any one at SU, such as Wildhack, wanted to pursue a change (not saying that they do, but only if they did), it would most likely be put off for at least a year or two so as not to make it appear it is being done because of this particular case. It's CYA all around. My heart goes out to Steven and his family and hope for the best.

Cheers,
Neil

I don't really "like" what you said but I agree so I gave you recognition. SU is not one to make rash decisions unless forced into doing so. Whether we like it or not concerning this instance (or similar instances) it is an overall good character trait. I just wish things would work out better for Steven.

A little silver lining, if Steven stays here this year and graduates/nearly graduates while evaluating options, he would still have two years of eligibility to play as a transfer to another school and could play two seasons while bumping out his Masters Degree on scholarship. Not ideal for Syracuse but may benefit Steven, who could use a pick-me-up after this ordeal.

I don't really "like" what you said but I agree so I gave you recognition. SU is not one to make rash decisions unless forced into doing so. Whether we like it or not concerning this instance (or similar instances) it is an overall good character trait. I just wish things would work out better for Steven.

A little silver lining, if Steven stays here this year and graduates/nearly graduates while evaluating options, he would still have two years of eligibility to play as a transfer to another school and could play two seasons while bumping out his Masters Degree on scholarship. Not ideal for Syracuse but may benefit Steven, who could use a pick-me-up after this ordeal.
Exactly my thoughts as far as that scenario for Steven. He could use that time to get stronger:)

The last sentence is enough to can him.

So CuseLegacy posted in another thread a story about a family suing an athletic conference I believe for neglect as their son killed himself as a result of over 100 concussions (at least that is their assertion). IIRC, it mentioned that it was being lumped into a class action suit and the family was not happy about that. In that article, it mentioned that in very few cases is the school actually sued individually and then listed the ten or so schools that had active suits against them. About four were ACC schools including Syracuse. This may be cause for the wanton DQ-ing. The med staff has had a reflex reaction. For as long as they are a part of the process, they will not likely change that behavior. Once bitten twice shy.

Redshirt, revisit then replace the medical process and personnel, and then reinstate Steven for 2018 after a year has passed and he continues to get stronger (if he wants to stay, of course)?

I sure as hell hope so.

My opinion? The exam to be done in Rochester is probably a waste of time.

Have Steven make a pit stop at Nick Tahou's Hots in downtown Roch and sample the original garbage plate.

That would guarantee that his time is not completely wasted!

Status
Not open for further replies.