Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns

My point--which I apparently didn't convey very well--is that Rousseau should be more informed/educated about COVID because of his mother, and that knowledge has led to his decision to opt out.

That, and he's a 1st round pick.

Although, I don't know how much safer he will be playing in the NFL vis-a-vis the NCAA.
I have zero issue with Rousseau’s decision but I’m not sure what you’re implying about “knowledge” due to his mom working with COVID patients.. experience, sure.. experiences shape everyone differently. Half of my family is in healthcare and multiple members of my family have had COVID, but I’d personally still play.

I have zero issue with Rousseau’s decision but I’m not sure what you’re implying about “knowledge” due to his mom working with COVID patients.. experience, sure.. experiences shape everyone differently. Half of my family is in healthcare and multiple members of my family have had COVID, but I’d personally still play.
Maybe his mama said to him "Baby boy, after what I've seen the past 4 months, you ain't playing."

Maybe his mama said to him "Baby boy, after what I've seen the past 4 months, you ain't playing."
Oh, I don’t doubt that could be the case at all, but that’s experience shaping the decision, not knowledge. I guess when you say that, IMO, it implies others lack the knowledge to make his decision, and I don’t believe that to be the case. Perhaps they haven’t had his experience/his mom’s experience or, at least, been shaped by that in the same way.

I mean Trevor Lawrence could sit on his couch all year and still be the #1 pick, and he saw first hand what happened to Xavier Thomas, but he’s still playing.

Oh, I don’t doubt that could be the case at all, but that’s experience shaping the decision, not knowledge. I guess when you say that, IMO, it implies others lack the knowledge to make his decision, and I don’t believe that to be the case. Perhaps they haven’t had his experience/his mom’s experience or, at least, been shaped by that in the same way.

I mean Trevor Lawrence could sit on his couch all year and still be the #1 pick, and he saw first hand what happened to Xavier Thomas, but he’s still playing.
As of today.

What do you mean, "to think about?" It makes perfect sense -- because Rousseau is universally projected to be a first round draft pick in the 2021 draft. But his use case is far from the only one and far from typical -- 99.9% of players across all levels won't be NFL draft picks.

Them risking exposure which could have direct health consequences -- or indirect consequences for family members who might be in higher risk categories -- might preclude them participating in a contact sport, with a bunch of players who will be living in a petrie dish environment on a college campus, that will be impossible to control unlike the various bubbles in professional sports.

Agreed. Before COVID we used to bandy about ideas about guys who were surefire first round picks skipping a season to preserve their health to get paid.

Who cares as long as they adhere to the covid protocol. Lets not turn college football into a political mess. Play the fing game, kick their arse and move on.

College football is, and has basically always been, a political mess.

I’ve said from the beginning, the season is dependent on the players. If they won’t play it over. And I still believe that’s where we are headed. I hope the administrators realize it’s an all or nothing proposition. You can’t play four games, or five or three. You play or you don’t play. Kill the season if you want to. But you can’t make this a day to day thing.

Also by sitting out I assume he doesn't workout at any UM facility...cuz of Covid-19 fears.

Also he better not attend any parties or protests.

You really think he won't use facilities that are used by his teammates? You have to assume they got infected at the last football game.

Covid-19 is a reason just not the main reason IMHO

Also by sitting out I assume he doesn't workout at any UM facility...cuz of Covid-19 fears.

Also he better not attend any parties.

I bet he does both
Yea, cynically, I don’t think most of these opt-outs are about health, more-so they are about preserving draft stock or potential eligibility in what will be, at best, a dumpster fire of a year.

However, if someone is high risk, I tend to believe their reasons are health based, but I also expect they are taking this more seriously than the average person who isn’t much affected by COVID.

It’s just a matter of time before P5 cancels/postpones the season. I think we’re likely looking at the season being played in the Spring. Start the season in April right after March madness finishes (assuming there is college b-ball season as well).

It’s just a matter of time before P5 cancels/postpones the season. I think we’re likely looking at the season being played in the Spring. Start the season in April right after March madness finishes (assuming there is college b-ball season as well).
And then the next Sheet show starts... There will be legitimate health concerns playing 2 seasons in a calendar year. I'm of the mindset that spring should be a 4 or 5 game "season". They all probably scrimmage 3 times in spring, anyways. Schools can make some $$, safety can be addressed.

The ACC needs to drop the non-conf game. Stick to 10 and create testing protocols that are sufficient and approved by all member schools.

Not sure how many soccer fans here but the top league in Germany put their 50-page manual online that helped them restart in mid-May with no issues to date.

Must be nice to have competent leadership

Yeah.

I got not issues if DeVito tells Dino that he might play ball this year but he’s never signing that. And he’s got to go buy some Aerosmith tickets... top priority of the summer.

A29A6361-3300-4193-B630-F08C72A0576C.gif

Unfortunately, our "management" of covid doesn't compare in any material respect to Germany's - objectively, factually or otherwise. I'm dying for CFB. It's my favorite sport and time of year - but it's just getting more and more unlikely this year. Maybe it can work in the spring?
I do not believe football will be played in the Spring, if not played this fall it will not be played at all this cycle.

or maybe he just saw an opportunity to not play until he is getting paid cash to do it. You are making a strawman argument with no facts to back it up. It really does not matter his reasons whatever they are.

or maybe he just saw an opportunity to not play until he is getting paid cash to do it. You are making a strawman argument with no facts to back it up. It really does not matter his reasons whatever they are.
Strawman--no.

It's very possible that the economics of the situation was the primary cause of his decision. But that doesn't preclude the medical uncertainty of COVID as a factor. There are more than few players who are not in line for big NFL bucks who have opted out.

And, no, his mother didn't necessarily directly tell him to pass on the season. But you can bet the details of her experiences of the past four months were a subject of discussion in that household.