Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns

Look, there are going to be different types of schools in different parts of the country

Im catholic, went to Le Moyne, catholic schools cant throw stones, see Priest sex abuse scandals

This Liberty obsession is getting to Buttgers and Ucant level obsession

For those that dont like them, lets go out and beat them by 50 and send them home

Who do we have to blame for Liberty being on our schedule but ourselves. Not only did we sign a multi game deal, but gave them home games. Tell me again how lucky we are to have this AD, maybe if we keep saying it, it will become true...

Not that any of you care, but the turn in this thread is why I don't come here near as often as I used to. Some of you just have to push politics into everything, particularly those of you that are left of center. A stab at Trump in a thread about Syracuse players opting not to practice? Are you kidding me? We have Off-topic for that BS.

I disagree with the 99.9% #, but what player in their right mind wants to lose 3 games? I can't disagree with that. If its X # of players, does the whole team lose 3 games? Thats a big deal, and I can't imagine any player- who say, is asymptotic, and negative in a week, wants to lose 3 games... Or negative players want to lose 1/4 of their season. IF that is the policy? Then I don't see his latter point as a sweeping generalization.

The sweeping generalizations were that no players want to do a spring season. Well, FCS programs are considering a full spring schedule. And while I certainly agree that no player "wants" to lose 3 games, that gives more credence to the prospect of a delayed season -- where the COVID-19 pandemic might be more under control and / or a vaccine might be available -- avoiding those outcomes.

The other sweeping generalization was that this is just about better testing. I'm not suggesting that this isn't a big desire, but there are lots of players opting out -- more than just NFL prospects. 100s of players in the Pac-12 might sit, we have lots of players from various teams [including Dawson from our team] who just don't want to take the risk, irrespective of testing / current state safety protocols.

This is a much more dynamic situation, with a lot more complexity, than the way the poster I was responding to was presenting it to be.

OF COURSE under normal circumstances, everyone -- fans, coaches, players -- would prefer a "normal" fall schedule. But things aren't normal right now. Football at all levels is in jeopardy, and no matter what everyone might prefer, the best option might be to defer / postpone / delay, rather than have cycles of fits and starts, initiating a season only to have outbreaks that force teams to drop out, forfeit, etc. That seems to be where things are headed -- so maybe pushing things back is the "best" outcome, to ensure the safety of the players and the integrity of an actual season.

Last edited:
Who do we have to blame for Liberty being on our schedule but ourselves. Not only did we sign a multi game deal, but gave them home games. Tell me again how lucky we are to have this AD, maybe if we keep saying it, it will become true...
A prediction--

The MAC will decide to cancel their fall schedule, thus costing 3 ACC teams their +1 game. Then the ACC rethinks the whole OOC schedule idea. It was constructed to allow the 4 in-state ACC-SEC matchups, and the SEC scotched that. So all of the non-conference games are canceled. And then folks can stop complaining about Liberty.

Assuming there is a season at all.

The sweeping generalizations were that no players want to do a spring season. Well, FCS programs are considering a full spring schedule. And while I certainly agree that no player "wants" to lose 3 games, that gives more credence to the prospect of a delayed season -- where the COVID-19 pandemic might be more under control and / or a vaccine might be available -- avoiding those outcomes.

The other sweeping generalization was that this is just about better testing. I'm not suggesting that this isn't a big desire, but there are lots of players opting out -- more than just NFL prospects. 100s of players in the Pac-12 might sit, we have lots of players from various teams [including Dawson from our team] who just don't want to take the risk, irrespective of testing / current state safety protocols.

This is a much more dynamic situation.
The NFL prospective first-rounder at Miami, Rousseau, has opted out. His mother is a nurse who has been working with COVID patients. Something to think about.

The NFL prospective first-rounder at Miami, Rousseau, has opted out. His mother is a nurse who has been working with COVID patients. Something to think about.

What do you mean, "to think about?" It makes perfect sense -- because Rousseau is universally projected to be a first round draft pick in the 2021 draft. But his use case is far from the only one and far from typical -- 99.9% of players across all levels won't be NFL draft picks.

Them risking exposure which could have direct health consequences -- or indirect consequences for family members who might be in higher risk categories -- might preclude them participating in a contact sport, with a bunch of players who will be living in a petrie dish environment on a college campus, that will be impossible to control unlike the various bubbles in professional sports.

This is a much more dynamic situation, with a lot more complexity, than the way the poster I was responding to was presenting it to be.

OF COURSE under normal circumstances, everyone -- fans, coaches, players -- would prefer a "normal" fall schedule. But things aren't normal right now. Football at all levels is in jeopardy, and no matter what everyone might prefer, the best option might be to defer / postpone / delay, rather than have cycles of fits and starts, initiating a season only to have outbreaks that force teams to drop out, forfeit, etc. That seems to be where things are headed -- so maybe pushing things back is the "best" outcome, to ensure the safety of the players and the integrity of an actual season.
Missed those. That makes sense.

What do you mean, "to think about?" It makes perfect sense -- because Rousseau is universally projected to be a first round draft pick in the 2021 draft. But his use case is far from the only one and far from typical -- 99.9% of players across all levels won't be NFL draft picks.

Them risking exposure which could have direct health consequences -- or indirect consequences for family members who might be in higher risk categories -- might preclude them participating in a contact sport, with a bunch of players who will be living in a petrie dish environment on a college campus, that will be impossible to control unlike the various bubbles in professional sports.
My point--which I apparently didn't convey very well--is that Rousseau should be more informed/educated about COVID because of his mother, and that knowledge has led to his decision to opt out.

That, and he's a 1st round pick.

Although, I don't know how much safer he will be playing in the NFL vis-a-vis the NCAA.

Quite a "season" we are creeping towards. Players have the right to not practice or play if that's their decision. Sounds like SU is doing their best to push protocols. We will see how practical it all is. Tremendous logistics over the course of a season even with the modifications to scheduling. Religion is a joke.

Not that any of you care, but the turn in this thread is why I don't come here near as often as I used to. Some of you just have to push politics into everything, particularly those of you that are left of center. A stab at Trump in a thread about Syracuse players opting not to practice? Are you kidding me? We have Off-topic for that BS.
Many on this forum have LDS. Liberty derangement syndrome. I was at the game last fall and the people there were very welcoming.

Very reasonable and sensible actions from the players

Yeah they have to follow rules and make sacrifices only to go mix it up with 80 covid dripping slobs from __________.

I mean honestly I’d sit out just to be able to party if other schools get to.

I don’t support the racism and persecution of Christians but let’s be honest despite Liberty being terrible and an easy W it is annoying our one OOC game is the school getting the most negative attention for their actions during the pandemic.

Umass surely needs another date? They are barely over 2 hours away. Play them instead.

If Liberty players get covid they will sweep it under the rug and all that and still play remember the entire team could have it and only a few are noticeably sick. They’d just say they violated curfew or something.

Also what about the new rule allowing ACC teams to play a non conference game against each other? Use that.

My point--which I apparently didn't convey very well--is that Rousseau should be more informed/educated about COVID because of his mother, and that knowledge has led to his decision to opt out.

That, and he's a 1st round pick.

Although, I don't know how much safer he will be playing in the NFL vis-a-vis the NCAA.
In theory, he should be significantly safer since that is over a year from now and he won't have to be on a college campus.

The ACC needs to drop the non-conf game. Stick to 10 and create testing protocols that are sufficient and approved by all member schools.

Not sure how many soccer fans here but the top league in Germany put their 50-page manual online that helped them restart in mid-May with no issues to date.

The ACC needs to drop the non-conf game. Stick to 10 and create testing protocols that are sufficient and approved by all member schools.

Not sure how many soccer fans here but the top league in Germany put their 50-page manual online that helped them restart in mid-May with no issues to date.
Unfortunately, our "management" of covid doesn't compare in any material respect to Germany's - objectively, factually or otherwise. I'm dying for CFB. It's my favorite sport and time of year - but it's just getting more and more unlikely this year. Maybe it can work in the spring?

I'm not a pro liberty guy by any stretch but at some point people have to get over the fact that SU signed a fball contract with them. Its a football game not an endorsement of Falwell or anyone else over there. Get the W and move on.
And do it again next year as well.*

* Yes, they are due to visit The Dome again in 2021 ;)