Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse football players sit out first practice with coronavirus concerns

My point was just to determine what is “better.” The abject failure that is testing nationally stems mainly from lack of contact tracing and time it takes to get results. Both of these issues make “more testing” nearly Irrelevant.

What do you constitute as contact tracing? Do you want your phones to be tapped like LA and Israel did to see where you were?

My point was just to determine what is “better.” The abject failure that is testing nationally stems mainly from lack of contact tracing and time it takes to get results. Both of these issues make “more testing” nearly Irrelevant.
I'd argue that the failure is the lack of testing accessibility, coupled with what you mentioned about timely results. Why we didn't invoke the DPA and turn a slew of factories into 24/7 test production facilities, while also massively expanding lab processing capabilities, is beyond me. But, as they say, it is what it is.

In terms of better, SU could be testing the players more frequently. Other sports are.

What do you constitute as contact tracing? Do you want your phones to be tapped like LA and Israel did to see where you were?
No did I suggest that. Testing without tracing is almost pointless. You are trying to find asymptomatic Spreaders.

No did I suggest that. Testing without tracing is almost pointless. You are trying to find asymptomatic Spreaders.
Not at all. If there were hundreds of millions of accessible, relatively accurate, home tests that could return results in minutes, then we could open broad swaths of the economy. But we didn't even try to do that. Shrug.

I'd argue that the failure is the lack of testing accessibility, coupled with what you mentioned about timely results. Why we didn't invoke the DPA and turn a slew of factories into 24/7 test production facilities, while also massively expanding lab processing capabilities, is beyond me. But, as they say, it is what it is.

In terms of better, SU could be testing the players more frequently. Other sports are.
Here is “why”...because more testing leads to more positives which undermined the whole administrations argument. You want to know the main reason the spike states have receded the last 2 weeks? Look at their testing numbers...

Here is “why”...because more testing leads to more positives which undermined the whole administrations argument. You want to know the main reason the spike states have receded the last 2 weeks? Look at their testing numbers...
Well, we are on the same page in this regard. It's criminal. And America has accepted it.

Not at all. If there were hundreds of millions of accessible, relatively accurate, home tests that could return results in minutes, then we could open broad swaths of the economy. But we didn't even try to do that. Shrug.
Well yeah I mean if we were testing like a breathalyzer every day at home like that it would be great. But that wasn’t reality. Even most of the non PCR tests are junk. But with what we have contact tracing was essential.

So if student are on campus and doing remote learning what is the point of being on campus?

They can’t have events, can’t legally socialize.
It’s not jail but remote learning and being on campus sounds like a waste of money on room and board.

Gets them out of their parent's house. Not that it matters much but off-campus housing and rent was settled long ago.

Better way is to look at hospitalizations rather than positive cases. Several of the "hot spots" have seen a material decline in hospitalizations over the last 2-3 weeks.

Well, we are on the same page in this regard. It's criminal. And America has accepted it.
We’re on the same page in all regards. It’s just that’s it’s what we have to work with testing wise it was critical to (1) have quick results, (2) limit non essential movement, and (3) contact trace. Because we didn’t do no 2, no 3 became virtually impossible and because that didn’t occur and results are slow you got CS. So there was a default mechanism when those 3 failed and that was to distance and wear masks. And we couldn’t do that either

Better way is to look at hospitalizations rather than positive cases. Several of the "hot spots" have seen a material decline in hospitalizations over the last 2-3 weeks.
Ours are still very high. ICU down a bit but around 20-30% higher than April. ER and inpatient about the same maybe down a little. Certainly not cliff like on the testing

Ours are still very high. ICU down a bit but around 20-30% higher than April. ER and inpatient about the same maybe down a little. Certainly not cliff like on the testing

Harder to find info on AZ (than FLA and TX) but I just saw a chart that showed new hospitalizations plummeting, like down more than 70% from peak levels a few weeks ago in AZ. Over the last four weeks Florida has seen a 40% decline in overall covid hospitalizations while nearly a 50% decline for Houston.

100% this. We botched it and then tried to laugh it off, cover it over with sports and then point fingers.

I'm depressed about it daily too because we are smarter to allow this to happen and yet it happened. Chaos agents tend to relish in...hmmm...chaos

Harder to find info on AZ (than FLA and TX) but I just saw a chart that showed new hospitalizations plummeting, like down more than 70% from peak levels a few weeks ago in AZ. Over the last four weeks Florida has seen a 40% decline in overall covid hospitalizations while nearly a 50% decline for Houston.

Not hard to find info when their numbers are going up.

I have a buddy who lives in FLA.
Gov. Deathsantis used the threat of Tropical Storm Isaias to shut down about HALF of the testing centers.
Even though it bypassed them.

Of course their #'s went down.
Trump was right - less tests = less positives. :rolleyes:

There is some serious 1984-level stuff going on.
In America. In 2020.

100% this. We botched it and then tried to laugh it off, cover it over with sports and then point fingers.

I'm depressed about it daily too because we are smarter to allow this to happen and yet it happened. Chaos agents tend to relish in...hmmm...chaos
As my lawyer friends like to say, facts not in evidence. :(

Fixed.

What have you been reading your entire life?
That type of reporting isn’t taught in Newhouse.
As our media gets younger it gets worse.

It’s just the truth. It’s become activism as much as journalism and I want the season cancelled.

That type of reporting isn’t taught in Newhouse.
As our media gets younger it gets worse.

It’s just the truth. It’s become activism as much as journalism and I want the season cancelled.
The media used to report the news now they thrive on creating it. It is all about swaying public opinion.