Syracuse not a top 25 team | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse not a top 25 team

Because the vast majority of the ranked teams in that OP link don't have questions to answer.

That is what always gets me when you start looking through the rosters of some of these teams rated say 10-25. I mean yikes half of them look like bottom 3rd ACC rosters. All college teams have questions because player turnover is so high. SU answered its main questions by bringing in 2 5th year proven grad transfers, a 7-2 transfer who is eligible, and 3 very well regarded well rounded freshman. We have a returning player projected middle to early 1st round, a returning 5th year starting center, a returning senior PF and a returning guard who played his best down the stretch off a FF team. If given an adequate roster/coach/program analysis you have to have SU no worse than 15th.

That is what always gets me when you start looking through the rosters of some of these teams rated say 10-25. I mean yikes half of them look like bottom 3rd ACC rosters. All college teams have questions because player turnover is so high. SU answered its main questions by bringing in 2 5th year proven grad transfers, a 7-2 transfer who is eligible, and 3 very well regarded well rounded freshman. We have a returning player projected middle to early 1st round, a returning 5th year starting center, a returning senior PF and a returning guard who played his best down the stretch off a FF team. If given an adequate roster/coach/program analysis you have to have SU no worse than 15th.

Devils advocate.

You can argue that we didn't answer any questions simply by virtue of bringing in two fifth year transfers. For one, we don't know how Gillon will adjust to the ACC (not worried about AW obv). And we don't know how these guys will all play together. W/R/T Chukwu hasn't played in over a year. And yeah, we have returning players. Who played on a team that went 23-14. But for whatever reason that gets ignored because we played great for four games against a 10, 15, 11, and 1 seed.

But yeah we have a lot of good parts. It just feels like we're Frankenstein-ing this team and I'm a little concerned about chemistry.

Devils advocate.

You can argue that we didn't answer any questions simply by virtue of bringing in two fifth year transfers. For one, we don't know how Gillon will adjust to the ACC (not worried about AW obv). And we don't know how these guys will all play together. W/R/T Chukwu hasn't played in over a year. And yeah, we have returning players. Who played on a team that went 23-14. But for whatever reason that gets ignored because we played great for four games against a 10, 15, 11, and 1 seed.

But yeah we have a lot of good parts. It just feels like we're Frankenstein-ing this team and I'm a little concerned about chemistry.

I get that but in relation to the other top 25 teams. . . . . . . . what are they answering their questions with? Every team is bringing in new players that have to fit in to fill the empty roles. At least SU knows White will make a lot of 3's at a high percentage. Gillon will be able to get the ball up and down the floor with no issues, execute an offense and make free throws. Add your freshman in, 2 huge parts from a FF team, a 7'er and two other returning contributors and SU has less holes and questions than a majority of the other top 25 teams. We have options at every position if someone doesn't work out. Yes the team will have to come together but so do most teams in college bball because of player turnover.

The chemistry issues brought up above could be the same issues that face Duke/UK/Virginia etc...so if we aren't ranked because of chemistry issues they shouldn't be either(not saying they shouldn't be ranked, just using it as a point).

It looks like there's lot of variety of opinion in these preseason rankings. I think some of them just put certain teams in to be different and stand out from the others. I'll pay more attention to the AP and coaches polls when they come out. In the mean time, I am going to enjoy our new and improved football team.

Worrying or arguing about Syracuse's rightful place in the pre season polls is s fools errand. I mean, do you really expect anything different. Most of the guys who barf up these polls are a$$hats for the most part and it would be ridiculous to think they aren't aware of the fact that an obvious snub or two is tantamount to instant "click bait".

Here's my take and my suggestion to others... as this season unfolds sit back and savor every game, every play, every moment as we witness the coming together of the biggest batch of highly talented and mostly experienced players that perhaps we've ever had.

As you watch the team congeal and iron out the early season wrinkles and see them improve by leaps and bounds as the new pieces are assimilated into JB's genius vision of college basketball, as you watch the new kids master the subtle nuances of the zone... you will also begin to see this team ruthlessly beating other teams like a circus monkey.

That's when I suggest you reminisce and think about where we were in the pre season poll.
The parts and pieces are there brother and sister Cuse fans! There is simply way too much to be excited about to let any fantasy based poll pester you. Personally, the biggest problem I see with this team is that it has gotten me so excited that I'm afraid I'm not paying enough attention to the football team who is also deserving of some level of excitement and sense of expectation.
I triple dog like this post!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom