Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series

SU already has a game at MetLife, so are a lot of SU fans going to go UConn as well? It's just a lazy job of taking a team that other than a win offers no benefit. Great a Noon kick on SNY in front of 25k. Hooray!
No benefit other than a win? Thanks I'll take that all day. I'm tired of scheduling over our heads out of conference.

No benefit other than a win? Thanks I'll take that all day. I'm tired of scheduling over our heads out of conference.

Truly. SU schedules three P5 teams in one season and it's too much. Now SU schedules a little more realistically and fans don't like that either. Some people are never satisfied.

Whitey23 said:
I know i probably missed the answer somewhere but who is making these agreements now?

Frazier.

How about a 2-1 with Buffalo? Makes a ton more sense than 1-1 with UConn.

Yes, but maybe Buffalo didn't want to play SU. We'll never know.

Would you prefer it if SU scheduled a home and home with New Mexico State?

Nope. I said I would rather go play FAU or FIU to sell a game to Miami recruits, get in front of them and the area coaches. CT kids can make unofficial visits and the staff can get there easily enough. How about playing Georgia State to get into the Atlanta area more often, or ODU to get in front of VA kids?

You can schedule "easy" wins that bring other benefits.

I wonder if that was tried, and rejected. I wonder how many 2-1 deals have been tried. Maybe we are finding out that no one is willing to do 2-1 with us given the current state of the program, except perhaps some teams so far out in east bumblefoo that it would make no sense for us.

Buffalo offers us absolutely zero on the recruiting front as we already own NYS and are fully saturated in the CNY media. Playing UCONN and BC in the same year gets us alot of New England exposure so I feel there's more value in having UCONN on the schedule than Buffalo. That being said a 2-1 in the midwest i.e. directional Michigan might have been the best of both worlds.

This series provides absolutely no benefit to Syracuse. If we go 2-0 it is expected if we go 1-1 we give UConn some recruiting juice. It is just stupid and if we are going to give 1-1 to G5 teams they should be in recruiting areas. 2016 we already got Metlife-ND for the NYC folk and BC for the New England folk this UConn game is beyond dumb.

I swear it is not hard to figure out scheduling. Buffalo 1-1 is a better deal because it could bank us some good will from the NYS GA and they are a MAC school.

UCF and Cinci have the ability to embarrass us given our performance last year. Rutgers is a P5 and while they didn't light the world on fire, they aren't exactly an easy win either. UCONN was 2-10 last year and they are an actual FBS/Div1A/WhateverItIsNow team. We shouldn't be going 1-3 or 2-2 out of conference. That's not how you build your brand. Schiano might be the real Slim Shady but he also knew how to build a program to somewhat respectable levels by this exactly formula of scheduling. It's also the formula the SEC uses to maintain the appearance of dominance in football.
They are also located in FL and OH respectively. If we are going to play G5 schools they should be in favorable recruiting areas or 2-1s. Not UConn in farm country in front 30k in their season Super Bowl to try and stick it to us. We would better off with Temple-PA, Cincy-OH, UCF/USF-FL, Rutgers-NJ than UConn which does nothing for us.

SU already has a game at MetLife, so are a lot of SU fans going to go UConn as well? It's just a lazy job of taking a team that other than a win offers no benefit. Great a Noon kick on SNY in front of 25k. Hooray!

SU put themselves into a corner...they had a vacancy for 2016 to fill..it is what it is. I plan to make the road trip to UConn...hopefully they won't throw beer like last time.

This series provides absolutely no benefit to Syracuse. If we go 2-0 it is expected if we go 1-1 we give UConn some recruiting juice. It is just stupid and if we are going to give 1-1 to G5 teams they should be in recruiting areas. 2016 we already got Metlife-ND for the NYC folk and BC for the New England folk this UConn game is beyond dumb.

I swear it is not hard to figure out scheduling. Buffalo 1-1 is a better deal because it could bank us some good will from the NYS GA and they are a MAC school.
Buffalo was 5-6 last year, UCONN was 2-10. Buffalo has a better chance of embarrassing us than UCONN does. Not to mention a UB win gives them alot more recruiting juice than UCONN would get.

SU put themselves into a corner...they had a vacancy for 2016 to fill..it is what it is. I plan to make the road trip to UConn...hopefully they won't throw beer like last time.

Yeah, this. It's not like there are a lot of scheduling opportunities left. Maybe SU had a to take a home and home with UConn because that was the best option available. People say, "Why didn't they just schedule a series with Buffalo instead?" when there's no way for us to know if that is even an option.

2 wins are always a benefit. You can quibble about the relative benefit compared to other options, but "2 wins" is "2 wins".

Buffalo was 5-6 last year, UCONN was 2-10. Buffalo has a better chance of embarrassing us than UCONN does. Not to mention a UB win gives them alot more recruiting juice than UCONN would get.
I can't say anymore than not sure if your serious or joking honesty?

We had to have more options than a stupid 1-1 with UConn and I highly doubt their fan behavior will be any better if they are stuck in AAC with their bitter rival coming to town. That game will be their Super Bowl and their fans will be ruthless.

2 wins are always a benefit. You can quibble about the relative benefit compared to other options, but "2 wins" is "2 wins".
If we win 2 games than atleast that is the only benefit, but the risk/reward isn't that high to justify this series. I think we should win both games but I don't think its close to being a lock and we are giving them more respect than we should when we have the upper hand in negotiation.

We had to have more options than a stupid 1-1 with UConn and I highly doubt their fan behavior will be any better if they are stuck in AAC with their bitter rival coming to town. That game will be their Super Bowl and their fans will be ruthless.

Hyperbole.

Hate this series. Bad job by the AD we don't need to play them and we are giving them a 1-1. Bad job.
Why throw a lifeline to a geographic recruiting rival? Just continues to confirm that our AD doesn't know what it is doing. But those who like to travel to the Rent for a nearby road game will like it, so there's that.

People are blasting me that UConn isn't at the top of the G5 Food Train?

Their record sucks currentlybut a few years ago they backed into the Fiesta Bowl
They play in the AAC probably the premier G5 league (arguable)
They won 4 Hoops Championships
They were a Big Boy in the Big East
They have garnered home and homes with schools like Michigan, Missouri and Tennessee.

UConn isn't EMU

I can't say anymore than not sure if your serious or joking honesty?
If you're afraid to play UCONN then you should be afraid to play UB. No I'm not joking. Pretty sure UB would beat Storrs right now. UCONN's program is in shambles since HCRE left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom