Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse -Uconn working on home/home series

How do you know that?
Let me fill you in okay? We are in a P5 conference the Atlantic Coast Conference, UConn is a G5 conference the American Athletic Conference. While we have struggled the last 15 years we have history as a major college power. UConn started playing FB in D-1 in the early 2000s and have little history playing major football. Their only time in major football they were given a golden ticket into the weakest power league. The school isn't exactly brimming with history and we didn't need to play them and your going to really argue we didn't have the upperhand when we agreed to a 1-1 series with UConn? I mean disagree with me about liking the series, but please don't make these arguments that I have to spend time explaining that we had the upper hand in deciding whether to play them or not. C'mon.

If you're afraid to play UCONN then you should be afraid to play UB. No I'm not joking. Pretty sure UB would beat Storrs right now. UCONN's program is in shambles since HCRE left.
Where have I said I am afraid? Have you actually read where I have said atleast playing Buffalo gives you goodwill with the NYS GA when SU will need funding to either replace the Dome or renovate it? I honestly have no need to discuss this anymore when you can just disagree and I will just agree to disagree.

People are blasting me that UConn isn't at the top of the G5 Food Train?

Their record sucks currentlybut a few years ago they backed into the Fiesta Bowl
They play in the AAC probably the premier G5 league (arguable)
They won 4 Hoops Championships
They were a Big Boy in the Big East
They have garnered home and homes with schools like Michigan, Missouri and Tennessee.

UConn isn't EMU
Michigan they got because they wanted a name opponent for the opening of the remodeled Big House and the buyout was 5 million. Michigan tried like crazy to get out of that game or have it moved to Metlife, but UConn wouldn't.

Mizzou let's wait until they actually play at UConn and Tennessee already canceled it series with UConn FB.

Their Basketball brand doesn't extend to FB and the season they went to Fiesta Bowl the Big East didn't have a top 25 team and UConn went to that bowl with 4 losses and almost singlehandly got the Big East autobid taken away due to frustration from the other leagues. I wouldn't say the AAC is any better than the Mountain West which got the autobid from the G5 last year and will likely be favored this year as well. UConn FB is nowhere near the top of the G5 foodchain.

TexanMark said:
SU put themselves into a corner...they had a vacancy for 2016 to fill..it is what it is. I plan to make the road trip to UConn...hopefully they won't throw beer like last time.

I've been to the Rent games. I don't remember beer throwing? I think I was lower than you though. Weren't you and Tom near the top of our section? Did they dump it from above?

While I'm in the minority on not liking this series, I'm also in the minority in liking going to the Rent.

we didn't need to play them and your going to really argue we didn't have the upperhand when we agreed to a 1-1 series with UConn? I mean disagree with me about liking the series, but please don't make these arguments that I have to spend time explaining that we had the upper hand in deciding whether to play them or not. C'mon.

Non-conference slots are filling up fast, especially for 2016. If we had to schedule UConn to avoid playing two FCS teams, that's fine. At this late date, SU is a beggar, not a chooser, for 2016 non-con slots.

Where have I said I am afraid? Have you actually read where I have said atleast playing Buffalo gives you goodwill with the NYS GA when SU will need funding to either replace the Dome or renovate it? I honestly have no need to discuss this anymore when you can just disagree and I will just agree to disagree.
If we win 2 games than atleast that is the only benefit, but the risk/reward isn't that high to justify this series. I think we should win both games but I don't think its close to being a lock and we are giving them more respect than we should when we have the upper hand in negotiation.

Maybe the word afraid is overreaching but in your words the risk/reward isn't worth it, well then neither is playing UB who is probably better than UCONN right now. We don't need the NYS GA either if the Minor Mayor would get the hell out of Cuomo/Mahoney's way. Doesn't SU generate all kinds of goodwill anyway with NYS and the BB scheduling? If you don't want to discuss it anymore that's fine. We can agree to disagree.

Non-conference slots are filling up fast, especially for 2016. If we had to schedule UConn to avoid playing two FCS teams, that's fine. At this late date, SU is a beggar, not a chooser, for 2016 non-con slots.
It took me 30 seconds to find a better option than UConn. UMass has plenty of openings and plays home games at Amherst and Foxboro. We could have easily scheduled UMass and feel better about going 2-0 than playing UConn h/h.

It took me 30 seconds to find a better option than UConn. UMass has plenty of openings and plays home games at Amherst and Foxboro. We could have easily scheduled UMass and feel better about going 2-0 than playing UConn h/h.
Oh yeah playing in NFL stadiums against teams with little to no following is a great plan...Pitt...Temple...ugh.

Stupid to play this game. If we want to play a tri - state area program we should play Rutgers, at least they are B1G. Or we schedule some in state creampuff. UConn is neither and we'll have their silly board people back. Give me RutgersAL over Pudge anyday.

Love to be able to play a school I actually hate. Hope we get Rutgers back on the schedule for a 1-1 before too long.

I've been to the Rent games. I don't remember beer throwing? I think I was lower than you though. Weren't you and Tom near the top of our section? Did they dump it from above?

While I'm in the minority on not liking this series, I'm also in the minority in liking going to the Rent.

Tom and I were sitting in the top row of the lower bowl...a few dorks thought it was funny to throw beer at us will running through the concourse. They have the most unsophisticated college FB fanbase out there.

They have the most unsophisticated college FB fanbase out there.

Ahem.
couch.jpg

Maybe it is in the works...UConn will get on TV, UMass not so much...didn't they get kicked out of the MAC?

Why a home and home? As a fan, I'd rather play an FCS at home that is a sure win than play an unnecessary road game against a scrub team that's bad but not bad enough to be an automatic win. And if we're going to go on the road and play somebody...can it be someone more interesting than UConn? Everything about their football program is dull and boring.

I want to say I respect your posts alot. I'm not trying to argue just to argue. I honestly feel like you think we're scheduling 2010 UCONN and not the decimated program burning in the ashes of a departed HCRE, a failed P/D hire, a collapsed BE, and a record of 1-11 against FBS teams last year. They scraped by Stony Brook for crying out loud. Maybe Diaco can turn them around this year but UCONN is in Grob territory until they prove otherwise. Look at the results of their games last year. UCONN is bad football and therefore easy picking.

We're recruiting MA and CT heavily. Great move against a program we'd otherwise have nothing to gain from beating.

Oh...I actually don't mind going to the Rent. I can handle the juvenile crap...UConn actually had a great tailgate situation...we'll try for the Aero Club again. UConn is a close trip for both Tri-Staters and Upstate NY'ers/

I like going to away games and there aren't too many places in the ACC that are easily drivable from CNY. We should be trying to schedule home and homes with any 1A school within 5 hours except Buffalo (2-1). It's not like we're in the SEC where you can drive to almost any game on your schedule. Plus if we're worried we might lose or worried about validating UConn's program we have bigger issues.

Alsacs said:
This series provides absolutely no benefit to Syracuse. If we go 2-0 it is expected if we go 1-1 we give UConn some recruiting juice. It is just stupid and if we are going to give 1-1 to G5 teams they should be in recruiting areas. 2016 we already got Metlife-ND for the NYC folk and BC for the New England folk this UConn game is beyond dumb. I swear it is not hard to figure out scheduling. Buffalo 1-1 is a better deal because it could bank us some good will from the NYS GA and they are a MAC school.

Huh? Who cares if it's expected? We need W's. The end.

I want to say I respect your posts alot. I'm not trying to argue just to argue. I honestly feel like you think we're scheduling 2010 UCONN and not the decimated program burning in the ashes of a departed HCRE, a failed P/D hire, a collapsed BE, and a record of 1-11 against FBS teams last year. They scraped by Stony Brook for crying out loud. Maybe Diaco can turn them around this year but UCONN is in Grob territory until they prove otherwise. Look at the results of their games last year. UCONN is bad football and therefore easy picking.
I have no problem agreeing to disagree. I don't take anything personally as we are all crazy fans. I just don't want to continue this debate as I can't debate your position anymore.

Why a home and home? As a fan, I'd rather play an FCS at home that is a sure win than play an unnecessary road game against a scrub team that's bad but not bad enough to be an automatic win. And if we're going to go on the road and play somebody...can it be someone more interesting than UConn? Everything about their football program is dull and boring.

SU is already playing FCS Colgate in 2016.

We had to have more options than a stupid 1-1 with UConn and I highly doubt their fan behavior will be any better if they are stuck in AAC with their bitter rival coming to town. That game will be their Super Bowl and their fans will be ruthless.

UConn's fans are beaten down and practically non-existent at this point. There were a couple weekends last season when Yale drew better crowds. There's a good chance that the Rent is half empty for our game with them, given the current trajectory of both programs.

Some of you worry too much. UConn is a good geographic opponent. All this talk of recruiting benefit is goofy. If we're counting on kids to choose SU over UConn then we've already lost.

TexanMark said:
People are blasting me that UConn isn't at the top of the G5 Food Train? Their record sucks currentlybut a few years ago they backed into the Fiesta Bowl They play in the AAC probably the premier G5 league (arguable) They won 4 Hoops Championships They were a Big Boy in the Big East They have garnered home and homes with schools like Michigan, Missouri and Tennessee. UConn isn't EMU

Thanks for doing the legwork on this, Mark.

I knew UConn had home and homes with several notable schools.

I thought UConn football was way down the totem pole according to a number of people here.

Why should we worry?

Alsacs said:

UConn, BTW, is being handed $10 million by the state to replace the aging roof at Gampel. It'll be done in a few years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom