Talent | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Talent

Maybe you saw this, Rutgers to the B1G. I don't think anyone would have seen that coming, well maybe Nostradamus.
If you look at a map, Rutgers is close to New York City. Plus, New Jersey is a fertile recruiting ground for both basketball and football. Not to mention that the B1G wouldn't take Rutgers again if they could do it over again. UMass has nothing to offer a P-5 conference. They have nothing to offer for the Big East. They are what they are. Sort of stuck in the middle. There will be no B1G offer. UConn is twice as attractive as UMass and they can't get a sniff.

If you look at a map, Rutgers is close to New York City. Plus, New Jersey is a fertile recruiting ground for both basketball and football. Not to mention that the B1G wouldn't take Rutgers again if they could do it over again. UMass has nothing to offer a P-5 conference. They have nothing to offer for the Big East. They are what they are. Sort of stuck in the middle. There will be no B1G offer. UConn is twice as attractive as UMass and they can't get a sniff.
I'm pretty sure that the states of Wisconsin, Ohio, and Michigan would have to separate from the continental US and sink into the Great Lakes for anyone to even consider UMass to the B1G as a real possibility. UMass is like the third best team in Massachusetts. Why are we even talking about this? Is this a joke because I've seen it on here before. Serious question; I'm out of the loop.

Agreed...Rutgers has been referred to (a sleeping giant for 35 years)...JoePa even talked of Rutgers in those terms. Nothing surprising about Ruttie to the B1G...all it took was Schiano and some extravagant spending of NJ taxpayers' money (facilities) to put enough lipstick (cable boxes) on Rutgirls to make them from a 2 to a 5 on the the 1-10 scale.

I'm pretty sure that the states of Wisconsin, Ohio, and Michigan would have to separate from the continental US and sink into the Great Lakes for anyone to even consider UMass to the B1G as a real possibility. UMass is like the third best team in Massachusetts. Why are we even talking about this? Is this a joke because I've seen it on here before. Serious question; I'm out of the loop.
UMass is below Buffalo in attractiveness to the BIG IMHO...total non-starter.

We need speed on offense.
That is talent.

We have a nice possession receiver in Ishmael and a nice slot receiver in Erv Philips.

The RBs don't have great speed.
The rest of the WR core outside of Riley doesn't have great speed.

This team needs speed on offense.
When you need 17-play scoring drives it means we're lacking explosiveness. Honestly, we win this game with AET. This year's offense may be more seasoned but is clearly not as dangerous as last year. If Dino can land a 4-star WR and/or RB to go with the other pieces --- look out. It's apparent that the system is what we need to be competitive and then some. We're a lot closer than people realize. What I'm not understanding is why Dino is having more success reeling in top flight linemen than skill position talent. This offense should be every receiver's dream to play in.

Nykeim Johnson has a chance to be that player, he's just young at the moment. Needs to add strength.
Also needs to catch the ball when Dungey throws his way. He ha
I guess you haven't seen Nykiem Johnson run. " took third place in the 100 meters at the 2015 DCSAA Outdoor Championship with a time of 11.07 seconds."

Deven Butler was a very fast kid in high school also.
Nykeim & Butler are legit burgers but still just pups who need to consistently make the catch when Dungey throws their way.

I guess you haven't seen Nykiem Johnson run. " took third place in the 100 meters at the 2015 DCSAA Outdoor Championship with a time of 11.07 seconds."

Deven Butler was a very fast kid in high school also.
You left out the part about Johnson dropping nearly ever pass that has come his way.

One more stud on the DL to keep the rotation fresh wouldn't have made a difference?
No. Not a 9 point difference. It doesn't make Riley catch the T.D. pass, nor does it make Dungey not throw a pick 6.

What??? How was it obvious their players were stronger and faster?
C'mon man. They were more talented any way you look at it. Bigger, stronger, faster, higher rated players. They played a D game and we played a B- game.

He's young, and just seems nervous. He will be fine in due time. Same goes for a lot of the young guys. These experiences will be huge later on.
I agree, but as of right now, you can't mention speed without mentioning his glaringly obvious problem. Can't catch.

I agree, but as of right now, you can't mention speed without mentioning his glaringly obvious problem. Can't catch.

Absolutely. He is struggling catching, and getting on the same page with Dungey route wise. Hopefully it just makes him work harder.

No. Not a 9 point difference. It doesn't make Riley catch the T.D. pass, nor does it make Dungey not throw a pick 6.
After all that transpired during the game with drops and failed play execution, SU was down 2 points with 5:45 left in the game. If the D had forced a 3 and out the Orange would have got the ball back with about 4 minutes left needind a field goal to win. I think they would have got a FG or a TD.

This was basically the first game I was able to see them on TV. I was pleasantly surprised by how the defense played. Based on the reviews on the board the defense was going to be the concern this season. It seems, though, as if the offense is the concern. The defense basically took their #1 weapon, Guice, out for most of the game. One LSU TD was definitely the mistake of the offense, the pick 6. Our offense seemed like something was missing. I was disappointed in the offense based on expectations to start the season. Our special teams appears to be a strength as well, except maybe for some KOs out of bounds...special teams are very important, just ask FSU!!

If the talent of Steven Clark was still on the field for SU instead of WMU, where he belongs, Syracuse would have won this game and probably the MTSU game as well.
I wish we still had Steven as well, however the defensive line played extremely well against a bigger and stronger offensive line. Pressure on their two quarterbacks wasn't our issue.

Regarding the talent, I think we are getting, not their yet, where our base and depth will give us a chance to win most games against top 25 teams, but the college game continues to be about the gamebreakers, see our next opponent who has two. I think Dungey is close to one and Devito has a chance to be one and personally I think the incoming class has a chance to have a few. Not sold that last years group of RB's and WR's will have a game breaker emerge. Look at LSU's top 2 RB's and top 2 WR's that is where the gap exists, not with the rest of the group. We still have to get lucky and have a few emerge for us to get back to Top 25 consistently.

#14 for LSU was amazing.

They had over 400 yards of offense and a couple of huge individual plays. What was our biggest play? A broken trick play?

Like what we accomplished but definitely need a few game breakers. Can't wait to see our team when we have them.

Respect the effort. Let's build on it for once. After our other big efforts we kind of ended things on a flat tip.

I wish we still had Steven as well, however the defensive line played extremely well against a bigger and stronger offensive line. Pressure on their two quarterbacks wasn't our issue.
What if in their last possession the D sacked their QB a couple of times, that could have made the difference? I f a pro team, say the Bills loses one of their best interior D lineman, say Williams or Dareus, they are not nearly as strong. Dino can't say anything in this area because it has to do with medical liabilities, but he knows what Clark's loss was to the team and it has to be killing him.

Like I said in another post. We are not accustomed to redshirting as many players as we have this year, especially our 4 star qb Devito. In the past ten years, any true Freshman that could contribute in any way would play. Babers is trying to build some depth with not playing as many Freshman as im the past. We will have to continue seeking out JUCOs and graduate transfers. I hope we can find a good running back from either category (like Gus Edwards before Miami screwed us). I know it is hard, but we all need to be patient. Babers has shown he is a good coach that can recruit and can relate to these young kids. We need an upset like last year somewhere along the way so some of the recruits will see that we are for real.

What if in their last possession the D sacked their QB a couple of times, that could have made the difference? I a pro team, say the Bills loses one of their best interior D lineman, say Williams or Dareus, they are not nearly as strong. Dino can't say anything in this area because it has to do with medical liabilities, but he knows what Clark's loss was to the team and it has to be killing him.
It was a huge loss. I am not disputing that. The kid was a beast as a true Freshman. Other than Jay Bromley, Steven was the best true Freshman DT we have had in a while. Like others, I think that defensive line was the area we didn't need improvement from. Yes, it would have made a difference if we sacked their qb two or thee times in the last two series.

What if in their last possession the D sacked their QB a couple of times, that could have made the difference? I a pro team, say the Bills loses one of their best interior D lineman, say Williams or Dareus, they are not nearly as strong. Dino can't say anything in this area because it has to do with medical liabilities, but he knows what Clark's loss was to the team and it has to be killing him.

What the heck are you talking about?

What the are you talking about?
He is claiming we could have sacked the LSU QB after the onside kick.

What he doesn't remember was LSU ran it that drive.

We all like Clark the player but the poster is pandering to Clark's dad who doesn't ask for it and isn't like that. However the poster wants to troll to the fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom