Talent | Syracusefan.com

Talent

Ish88888

All American
Can we please put to rest the BS talent argument for losing games? Last night showed we can hit, block, run, cover, out duel, tackle, throw, and catch against top talent. Yes, the running game needs to improve and we need to build depth. That said, last nights loss was about a few coaching decisions and making a few more plays. We were right there.

We need speed on offense.
That is talent.

We have a nice possession receiver in Ishmael and a nice slot receiver in Erv Philips.

The RBs don't have great speed.
The rest of the WR core outside of Riley doesn't have great speed.

This team needs speed on offense.
Dino is working on that as the your heroes on the previous staff didn't leave it.

Can we please put to rest the BS talent argument for losing games? Last night showed we can hit, block, run, cover, out duel, tackle, throw, and catch against top talent. Yes, the running game needs to improve and we need to build depth. That said, last nights loss was about a few coaching decisions and making a few more plays. We were right there.

What were the "few" coaching decisions? The only iffy one was the onside kick.

We can't catch and we have little in the way of playmakers. Kids that can make people miss.

It wasn't about any coaching decisions, it was about players making plays.

What were the "few" coaching decisions? The only iffy one was the onside kick.

I think there were some poor run decisions including one on third down. Actually, most run decisions.

Still, I thought the playcalling was overall great. We made some ballsy calls too. I mean riley threw the ball twice!

LSU should be embarrassed the way they have played the last two weeks. Switch the coaches and QB s and LSU wins by 28 IMO. SU can't find a third guy who can catch right now. The talent gap is huge. Riley Dixon is the only guy from SU who is making an impact in the NFL every week right now. If the OP believes there wasn't a huge talent gap Saturday then we were watching a different game. That being said a good QB and coach can close that gap very quickly. With Dungey/Devito I believe the next few years will show that.

I think there were some poor run decisions including one on third down. Actually, most run decisions.

Still, I thought the playcalling was overall great. We made some ballsy calls too. I mean riley threw the ball twice!

That's more play calling. When someone says coaching decisions I think more like the onside kick.

LSU should be embarrassed the way they have played the last two weeks. Switch the coaches and QB s and LSU wins by 28 IMO. SU can't find a third guy who can catch right now. The talent gap is huge. Riley Dixon is the only guy from SU who is making an impact in the NFL every week right now. If the OP believes there wasn't a huge talent gap Saturday then we were watching a different game. That being said a good QB and coach can close that gap very quickly. With Dungey/Devito I believe the next few years will show that.
He thinks Shafer's recruiting was better than it is.
The talent on roster is below teams in the Group of 6.

We haven't a had non punter drafted in the NFL draft since 2014 when Bromley and Sprull got drafted.

Look at that and say the talent was close.
LSU has 50 alumni players in the NFL. Syracuse has 7.

The talent was equal though.

No. It’s always been coaching + talent. Always. And talent is more important.

Give a college team a year to prepare for the Patriots and it’s still a drubbing.

Let's see what you think after the Clemson, Florida State, Lousville...and NC State games.

If the talent of Steven Clark was still on the field for SU instead of WMU, where he belongs, Syracuse would have won this game and probably the MTSU game as well.
The DL was great.
Clark is a nice player but he wasn't what we needed at LSU.

We need a playmaker on offense. We have nobody we can throw a slant too and then watch them go 50 yards plus on a run after a catch.

Offense playmakers were what we needed.

The DL was great.

We need a playmaker on offense. We have nobody we can throw a slant too and then watch them go 50 yards plus on a run after a catch.

Nykeim Johnson has a chance to be that player, he's just young at the moment. Needs to add strength.

If the talent of Steven Clark was still on the field for SU instead of WMU, where he belongs, Syracuse would have won this game and probably the MTSU game as well.

WHAT?

Listen, I'd rather have Clark on the team - at DT or as an OG for that matter - but the kid isn't Tim Green.

To think you actually think we are 4-0 without Clark makes me think it's time to up the meds.

I'm just excited for the future. We were "out talented" across the board last night for the most part. HCDB got more out of his 3 star laent, than Ed Orgeron got out of his 5 star talent. When that happens, the game ends up closer than it should all things being equal. I'm excited to see what HCDB can squeeze out of the improved talent level coming in.

We need speed on offense.
That is talent.

We have a nice possession receiver in Ishmael and a nice slot receiver in Erv Philips.

The RBs don't have great speed.
The rest of the WR core outside of Riley doesn't have great speed.

This team needs speed on offense.
Dino is working on that as the your heroes on the previous staff didn't leave it.
I guess you haven't seen Nykiem Johnson run. " took third place in the 100 meters at the 2015 DCSAA Outdoor Championship with a time of 11.07 seconds."

Deven Butler was a very fast kid in high school also.

The DL was great.

One more stop and they punt and Dungey drives them down for the winning field goal. Sure, it would be nice to have USC's receiving corps and maybe someday they will, but either of those games could have been won ( IMO would have been won) if Clark hadn't been forced to leave the team.

I guess you haven't seen Nykiem Johnson run. " took third place in the 100 meters at the 2015 DCSAA Outdoor Championship with a time of 11.07 seconds."

Deven Butler was a very fast kid in high school also.
Good hopefully we see more of him.

He had a couple of good plays last night but right now isn't a featured part of the offense.

If the kid is that fast we should have him run slants and tell him go and after the catch.

One more stop and they punt and Dungey drives them down for the winning field goal. Sure, it would be nice to have USC's receiving corps and maybe someday they will, but either of those games could have been won ( IMO would have been won) if Clark hadn't been forced to leave the team.
We stopped LSU 3 times in the 2nd quarter with solid field position every time and did nothing.

The offense lost this game not the D.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom