TC cant shoot and should only be allowed 3 per half | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

TC cant shoot and should only be allowed 3 per half

JayCuse said:
Its not that he cant shoot. He took far too many poor quality shots this game. Thats why people are upset. Bad decision making, and tried to play hero ball all night.

If he played hero ball all night what do you call the two players that took more shots? He took 10 all game. And down the stretch he and G are going to be the guys to try and make plays. Tonight they didn't, other nights they have. How many posts have there been this season that said it was great having 2 senior leaders in the backcourt going down the stretch.

Mal and Lydon are freshmen, not 5th year seniors. Cooney is counted on to carry this team, and when he plays poor like tonight, some of the blame has to fall on him.

Players are players. Don't care if they're freshman or not, they're playing aren't they? Melo led our squad, okafor led duke, the entire Kentucky team is young. Lydon and Mal aren't babies, if they don't play well they know it, being a freshman isn't a free pass, especially around here, ask McCullough and Joseph.

Why isn't Roberson taking ANY jumpshots? Is this a coaching thing or has he lost confidence in it completely? Teams leave him wide wide wide open from 15 feet all day. Hell, shoot it once and see what happens, kid.

If he played hero ball all night what do you call the two players that took more shots? He took 10 all game. And down the stretch he and G are going to be the guys to try and make plays. Tonight they didn't, other nights they have. How many posts have there been this season that said it was great having 2 senior leaders in the backcourt going down the stretch.
I have no problem with the amount of shots he took. Its the quality of shots thats concerning, especially with so much time on the shot clock.

14 points on 10 shots and a good percentage from 3. Bitch about something else please. Cooney is about 20th on the list of reasons we lost this game. Bad thread.

Took and missed 3 tough and bad(plenty of time on shot clock) shots down the stretch when we had a very good chance to hang on to the ugly win.

Gbinijes missed FTs really hurt too. Personally I get more bothered by bad decisions than things like flat out missing good shots or missing FTs.

Players are players. Don't care if they're freshman or not, they're playing aren't they? Melo led our squad, okafor led duke, the entire Kentucky team is young. Lydon and Mal aren't babies, if they don't play well they know it, being a freshman isn't a free pass, especially around here, ask McCullough and Joseph.
I never said it was a free pass. You asked why I wasn't harping on anyone else, and I gave you my reason. Never said this loss was on Cooney alone.

At least wait until later in the shot clock to throw up bad shots. He was shooting those shots within the first few seconds.

I think that's a little disingenuous. Yes, he did shoot a few bad ones with some time left for other options, but he wasn't just grabbing the ball early in the clock and deciding to be Batman either.

Why isn't Roberson taking ANY jumpshots? Is this a coaching thing or has he lost confidence in it completely? Teams leave him wide wide wide open from 15 feet all day. Hell, shoot it once and see what happens, kid.
Because he can't consistently make it.

JayCuse said:
I have no problem with the amount of shots he took. Its the quality of shots thats concerning, especially with so much time on the shot clock.

I had a problem with 1 shot he took. Shout him.

Joke. Nobody shot well. The whole freakin game. Nor at the FT line. And he threw the ball away? He had 1 turnover. 3 other guys had 3 or more. Yea he shot bad tonight but it's not like anyone shot well, because they didn't. As to down the stretch and choking, I seem to remember a couple games this year including the Bahamas where he was huge down the stretch. Go have a drink.
Nobody shot worse than Trevor and he was horrible down the stretch. He did play well in the Bahamas but not tonight. You buying?

I'm not dumping on Cooney. Hes a 5th year senior, him and G are expected to perform better than the rest. This is the first game G has stuggled, so you cant harp on him too much.Tell me, how many times did G shoot contested fadeaway jumpers? Cooney has been taking those kind shots his whole career, especially tonight.

I'd be more concerned with G missing the gimmes called free throws than fade aways.

rrlbees said:
Joke. Nobody shot well. The whole freakin game. Nor at the FT line. And he threw the ball away? He had 1 turnover. 3 other guys had 3 or more. Yea he shot bad tonight but it's not like anyone shot well, because they didn't. As to down the stretch and choking, I seem to remember a couple games this year including the Bahamas where he was huge down the stretch. Go have a drink.

I DONT NEED YOU TO TELL ME TO GO HAVE A DRINK... I made one on my own. ;)

Took and missed 3 tough and bad(plenty of time on shot clock) shots down the stretch when we had a very good chance to hang on to the ugly win.

Gbinijes missed FTs really hurt too. Personally I get more bothered by bad decisions than things like flat out missing good shots or missing FTs.

It seemed clear to me that Cooney was trying to get to the line. G was the only other scorer on the court and Wisky was doing a good job of keeping him out of the lane. Cooney forced the issue a couple times, but his misses down the stretch weren't the problem. The non-existent interior D and poor rebounding cost us this game at the end.

I don't remember so much time being on the shot clock when he took those mid range shots.

He does shoot them and he misses. Outside of bunnies he's got to be shooting .05% the past 3 years.

Because he can't consistently make it.

Yup. No problem with him taking some of those against a scrub team...but not in a tight game against Wisconsin. Not until he stars making them in the scrub games.

He does shoot them and he misses. Outside of bunnies he's got to be shooting .05% the past 3 years.

Am I wrong in thinking he was advertised as having a solid mid range jumper coming out of high school? I really thought he'd be making that by now.

He's a good shooter when spotting up and off kick outs. He can't shoot off the dribble or running off screens. With all the technology available now making all kinds of statistical analysis available, i have to think/hope that this is info well known to him and the staff. He doesn't have to stop shooting...we have to get him more shots that he's good at making, and he has to stop taking shots he's not good at making.

This x1000. The problem is he doesn't and will not change. And JB will never pull him. Ever. I thought Cooney looked gassed in OT too.

Am I wrong in thinking he was advertised as having a solid mid range jumper coming out of high school? I really thought he'd be making that by now.

I really think he faced crappy competition in Delaware.

I'm not going to argue this point, my fight in the thread is that one guy is getting crap for this game while he probably isn't even the third reason why we lost.

This x1000. The problem is he doesn't and will not change. And JB will never pull him. Ever. I thought Cooney looked gassed in OT too.
One of his threes tonight was off a curl.. he tried to get shots inside the arc tonight and just missed. Richardson and G struggled all night off the dribble and couldn't get by their man. Offensively, whole team didn't play well. Nights like this should be expected looking at the roster and being a predominantly outside shooting team.

Cooney is what he is. He makes a couple of 3s (one of which was pure luck) and then he thinks he can make every shot. He was 2-5 from 3 but very easily could have been 1-5 without that lucky bounce. But the blame for tonight's loss is hardly on his shoulders only. Every SU player who played tonight played far below average in some aspect of their game.

I'm not going to argue this point, my fight in the thread is that one guy is getting crap for this game while he probably isn't even the third reason why we lost.

5th year senior who never comes off the court...there's going to be high expectations for him. My problem is with him trying to do things he's proven to be bad at, in big spots.

The effort on D is great. The awareness on D is great. He's a good shooter off kick outs and spot ups. He's improved at getting to the hole. He can't make contested off the dribble shots very often, let alone when he's fading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom