TC cant shoot and should only be allowed 3 per half | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

TC cant shoot and should only be allowed 3 per half

There are several factors that caused this loss ... and none of them had to do with Cooney. He was 3-10 (2 for 5 from 3). Not a great night but not a deciding factor since he and G were the only 2 players in double figures. The other guys that were scoring even less were the problem. For example, Richardson and Lydon (who was a de facto starter in this game), totaled 14 between them but went 1-10 from deep. Our bench scoring (with Lydon playing starters minutes) was 6 points. Six bench points is not going to get it done when 3 of the 5 guys playing the lion's share of the minutes had 19 points combined.

W had a good game plan. Since we're perimeter oriented, they just cheated out on us and we had no inside answers. They did the same on offense, putting shooters outside to create space inside where they went to work on Lydon. The result was a 15 point deficit in the paint and a rebounding disaster, as we got eviscerated on the glass -25. Those are ridiculous numbers that dwarf all other stats. They were mitigated somewhat b/c Wisky was on the short end of the TO battle .. 20 to 11. But that's a net 16 possessions we lost out on.

Last edited:
5th year senior who never comes off the court...there's going to be high expectations for him. My problem is with him trying to do things he's proven to be bad at, in big spots.

The effort on D is great. The awareness on D is great. He's a good shooter off kick outs and spot ups. He's improved at getting to the hole. He can't make contested off the dribble shots very often, let alone when he's fading.

What were your expectations for Cooney? Honestly. He is one of those guys who is what he is and we knew that coming in. Maybe if expectations of the impossible weren't labeled on these guys there wouldn't be a problem.

they were all bad, gbinije was the most athletic guy on the court and he was invisible.

19 points, 5 assists, 5 steals, and shot 7-16.

2 huge missed FTs, but he was our only guy who played up to par tonight.

One of his threes tonight was off a curl.. he tried to get shots inside the arc tonight and just missed. Richardson and G struggled all night off the dribble and couldn't get by their man. Offensively, whole team didn't play well. Nights like this should be expected looking at the roster and being a predominantly outside shooting team.

I think we left our legs in Atlantis.

What were your expectations for Cooney? Honestly. He is one of those guys who is what he is and we knew that coming in. Maybe if expectations of the impossible weren't labeled on these guys there wouldn't be a problem.

Everything he's doing except he should be shooting 40% from the field and from 3(or coming very close to it). There's zero reason he can't do that, beyond shot selection. He doesn't have a 35% from the field and 30% from 3 stroke. He's not a bricklayer. He just takes too many shots he can't make.

We got one isolation pullup guy off the dribble on this team. Richardson.

Gbinije has shown alittle bit of the ability to pullup off the bounce, but its usually with a straight dribble as opposed to a left right one.
Malachi was 3-11 today.

Can't get mad at Cooney forcing 3-4 pullup shots off the dribble when Malachi is off. Usually he will only force 1-2.

19 points, 5 assists, 5 steals, and shot 7-16.

2 huge missed FTs, but he was our only guy who played up to par tonight.
1 rebound in 45 minutes played (I think). 1 rebound, 4 TOs, 1-4 FTs. Not exactly a highlight night for him yet I agree he was our best player on the court. But he did not play up to par tonight.

Right, but is an "is what he is" player really a guy you want playing 39 minutes a game year after year? Seems odd.

Gbinije has shown alittle bit of the ability to pullup off the bounce, but its usually with a straight dribble as opposed to a left right one.
Malachi was 3-11 today.

Can't get mad at Cooney forcing 3-4 pullup shots off the dribble when Malachi is off. Usually he will only force 1-2.
Cooney is a 5th year Senior. Richardson is a true Freshman. Look at Cooney's play from 2 years ago and compare it to today and tell me in what aspects of his game has he improved? Then look at Gbinije over the same time period and tell me if he's improved his game?

kcsu said:
Nobody shot worse than Trevor and he was horrible down the stretch. He did play well in the Bahamas but not tonight. You buying?

Any time buddy.

Malachi was 3-11 today.

Disagree because we know those type of shots aren't going in from Cooney. The freshman Malachi doesn't always make good decisions either, though I feel like he has a better chance of knocking down a tough shot than Cooney. He's 6'6 and has shown flashes of being able to get space off the dribble, and to male those shots. I don't get as mad at tough shots when I think the guy can possibly make them.

It's a fair point that almost everyone played like crap so why zero in on Cooney...but at the same time, a 5th year senior trying to do things he's not capable of is tough to watch. Ultimately I want guys to do things they are capable of doing.

no offense to the creator of this thread but when your last basketball post was on thanksgiving let the daily posters put down the players instead.

Players are players. Don't care if they're freshman or not, they're playing aren't they? Melo led our squad, okafor led duke, the entire Kentucky team is young. Lydon and Mal aren't babies, if they don't play well they know it, being a freshman isn't a free pass, especially around here, ask McCullough and Joseph.

This is sooooooo rich after the last 3 years seeing posts that Cooney was "young" even as a 4th year junior.

Disagree because we know those type of shots aren't going in from Cooney. The freshman Malachi doesn't always make good decisions either, though I feel like he has a better chance of knocking down a tough shot than Cooney. He's 6'6 and has shown flashes of being able to get space off the dribble, and to male those shots. I don't get as mad at tough shots when I think the guy can possibly make them.

It's a fair point that almost everyone played like crap so why zero in on Cooney...but at the same time, a 5th year senior trying to do things he's not capable of is tough to watch. Ultimately I want guys to do things they are capable of doing.

Fair enough I agree Malachi should be the pullup guy off the dribble but props to wisconsin late they played off of our drivers like malachi because we weren't pulling up over them successfully. Cooney only forced one from three the other 2-3 were midrange pullups i think.

Thing is what do you do when malachi shoots 3-11 like tonight, 3-4 of his pullups were really late in the game so coach proabably agreed with you.

Gbinije should take more if he can get them. Hes so solid late in the shot clock even, but can he get that many looks, he wasn't in the first half, as wisky played good underated perimeter defense.

We weren't getting as many good open looks from outside today as we have all year. Even Calhoun caught that and he did a pretty good job announcing tonight imo.

Last edited:
We are blaming Trevor for the loss? I was at the game. Didn't think he was the x-factor tonight. Obviously if he makes a shot in regulation we win. Same with G. We got blasted on the boards, and our two freshmen phenoms played worse than they have all year.

Another thing to add. It helps when you have a midhigh post driver. We don't have that. Awfully hard to pound it inside when all the pounding is done from the perimeter. It will force charges on bad shooting nights. That being said we are having probably 4-5 bad shooting nights all year.

Roberson
and Lydon running out of foul line to top of the three point line screens are the recipe for that.
That singlehandedly could have won this game for us.

I love malachi but anyone that wants to blame cooney should blame him 100% as much. 1-7 from three. That being said I don't think we need to blame the team or chemistry the team was just shot from the bahamas. I am more worried about that being a occurrence here or there then I am about chemistry. But we do need to get roberson and lydon down as midpost drivers, and hopefully the more kjo plays G will be able to as well. G has done more long jumping then vertical jumping this year. In the halfcourt you need more vertical unlike transition ball.

Last edited:
Cooney's shot selection is a problem and he still can't finish consistently around the rim. His game is more well-rounded than it's ever been, but he's limited and not perfectly suited to the role of #2 scorer.

That said, no one played very well tonight. That happens sometimes.

His shot selection is a problem because he just can't separate well enough to get a decent shot off the bounce. OrangeDW is right on the money in my mind. He's good at two types of shots. Neither involve dribbling.

Has he ever made a fast break layup that's not a dunk? So frustrating to watch him careen wildly and miss (of course he got swatted nearly to half-court last night). Pull it out unless you have a dunk TC! Or take the Bosnian layup (3-pointer).

EDIT - I will be honest and say that TC drives me nuts. I see lots of effort on defense, and he was pretty good last night, but I've seen him give up way more uncontested 3-pointers than Kaleb and we dump on his defense all the time. TC gambles a lot and gets some steals, but he also gets caught behind picks too often or just doesn't get his hand up early enough to bother the shooter.

Cooneys shot selection is fine. He reverted to last years cooney on a couple of shots because the team couldn't buy a bucket. This thread is laughable.

Cooney's shot selection is a problem and he still can't finish consistently around the rim. His game is more well-rounded than it's ever been, but he's limited and not perfectly suited to the role of #2 scorer.

That said, no one played very well tonight. That happens sometimes.
when he went into deshaun/bad scoop I GOT THIS mode, i checked out. his fade to the side 15 footer was so bad.

when he went into deshaun/bad scoop I GOT THIS mode, i checked out. his fade to the side 15 footer was so bad.

Don't like the "Bad Scoop" business, but I agree with the observation. After that three off the curl pinballed through the net, Cooney got a lot more reckless with his shot selection.

On its face, 10 shots over 40 minutes is fine for him. Having seen each of those attempts, a number were shots he misses 90% of the time. Because of that, he shot a miserable percentage (again).

When will Syracuse find another off-guard who can make 40% (or -- gasp -- 45%) of his field goal attempts?

Right, but is an "is what he is" player really a guy you want playing 39 minutes a game year after year? Seems odd.

With our limited options, yes.

Don't like the "Bad Scoop" business, but I agree with the observation. After that three off the curl pinballed through the net, Cooney got a lot more reckless with his shot selection.

On its face, 10 shots over 40 minutes is fine for him. Having seen each of those attempts, a number were shots he misses 90% of the time. Because of that, he shot a miserable percentage (again).

When will Syracuse find another off-guard who can make 40% (or -- gasp -- 45%) of his field goal attempts?
Thats a great question! It's intriguing that we have only been able to teach one guard in three years how to play zone. Maybe 2 if you count G as a guard, not a SF. I mean, what gives? We recruit offensive misfits at times because they have super long arms for the zone... But, uh, they can't be taught zone apparently. So, we have this? That's some weird ish.

His shot selection is a problem because he just can't separate well enough to get a decent shot off the bounce. OrangeDW is right on the money in my mind. He's good at two types of shots. Neither involve dribbling.

Has he ever made a fast break layup that's not a dunk? So frustrating to watch him careen wildly and miss (of course he got swatted nearly to half-court last night). Pull it out unless you have a dunk TC! Or take the Bosnian layup (3-pointer).

EDIT - I will be honest and say that TC drives me nuts. I see lots of effort on defense, and he was pretty good last night, but I've seen him give up way more uncontested 3-pointers than Kaleb and we dump on his defense all the time. TC gambles a lot and gets some steals, but he also gets caught behind picks too often or just doesn't get his hand up early enough to bother the shooter.

Your a good poster, but posts like this show emotions get in the way of people analyzing players due to built in biases. I really don't know what some of you thought we could of done last night. Pretty much everybody who played outside of Mike was worse than Cooney. Gbinije wasn't even good. Heck if you look at the advanced metrics last night, Cooney was our best offensive player. This entire thread is stupid, and I'm not trying to offend anyone.

Thats a great question! It's intriguing that we have only been able to teach one guard in three years how to play zone. Maybe 2 if you count G as a guard, not a SF. I mean, what gives? We recruit offensive misfits at times because they have super long arms for the zone... But, uh, they can't be taught zone apparently. So, we have this? That's some weird ish.

Well don't look at Richardson, because his FG% is pretty much the same as Cooney's.

Laughable.
Cooney can get in a better position to pullup off the dribble then Gbinije and lydon three times as often. Three times more often litteraly.
Lydon and Malachi were awful in the scoring department yesterday.

Personally I would have been happy if Kaleb forced more shots. He can shoot the same jumper he made twice in the lane from three and get a extra point out of it. He had a chance to heat up yesterday.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Foxda130

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom