Class of 2016 - TE Chris Clark to Pitt | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 TE Chris Clark to Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Free Article

http://www.. . . . . . . . . /college/syracuse/story/1599838-five-star-te-chris-clark-picks-syracuse

The top tight end from the 2015 class, Chris Clark, will transfer to Syracuse
6:45 PM

Five star tight end Chris Clark comes full circle, deciding to transferr to the school that first extended a scholarship opportunity, the Syracuse Orange.

Five-star tight end Chris Clark has picked Syracuse as his transfer destination from UCLA, he tells . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Clark was the top rated tight end in the 2016 class.

"Just because of how comfortable I feel there," Clark said. "All the guys on the team I felt really comfortable with. It's really close to home and I like the closeness of the school. It's just a good fit.

"I feel like they have all this young talent and they're getting a lot of production from it. I think I'm a couple of years, they're going to be really good and I can be a part of that."

Clark added that being a big face and name for Syracuse was intriguing to him as well.

But that wasn't the only reason the Orange stood out. As the first school to extend a scholarship offer during his high school recruitment, Clark had a relationship with head coach Scott Shafer.

Clark said that he could tell how much Shafer generally cared about his players, a rare quality among current college coaches. He said during his original recruitment, he got a big head and lost what was the most important thing, relationships.

The relationships he has with the Syracuse coaches and their players ultimately made the Orange the best option.

Now that Clark has picked his destination, he is focused on what he can accomplish once on campus. He may see the field in 2016 or 2017, depending on the results of a waiver Syracuse will likely file win the NCAA to forego the mandatory year of sitting out due to transfer. Either way, he has lofty goals once he does step foot on the Carrier Dome turf.

"To win the Mackey Award (for college football's best tight end," Clark said. "I want to bring the Mackey Award back to Syracuse."

Clark noting his appreciation for the award being named after a former Orange great. He is a big get for Syracuse and the highest rated prospect in the program's history in the . . . . . era.
I love that he owns up to letting his head swell and forgetting what was important. That shows an increased maturity that bodes well for his future here.
The only reason we landed Clark was because of his height. If he were two inches taller...

Wait...

If he were 2 inches taller, he'd be on Boeheims team

What would happen if he stays in Cuse for Summer classes and takes 12 credits? Would the NCAA look at that as a second "semester"?

(I'm trying to help the NCAA come to a reasonable decision and get him on the field next year after sitting out one game.)

What would happen if he stays in Cuse for Summer classes and takes 12 credits? Would the NCAA look at that as a second "semester"?

(I'm trying to help the NCAA come to a reasonable decision and get him on the field next year after sitting out one game.)

I'm sorry, you're banned. Using NCAA and reasonable in the same sentence is akin to crossing streams. No one knows what mayhem may occur!?!

Seriously, though, it would be nice, but it would be best not to get your hopes up on this waiver, as it has a low probability of success.

I'm sorry, you're banned. Using NCAA and reasonable in the same sentence is akin to crossing streams. No one knows what mayhem may occur!?!

Seriously, though, it would be nice, but it would be best not to get your hopes up on this waiver, as it has a low probability of success.
Yeah. A more reasonable question: Why does the NCAA have to suck so bad?

I have to say I'm shocked, particularly after his most recent comments about Pitt. Now, couple questions:

- When can he sign on the dotted line? He recently started following other coaches and mentioned he was still open to other teams. So, we need to lock him down with the LOI. Can he sign now or wait until some specific date?

- He's already 20, correct? He will be 22 come 2017. What's the chances he never bolts for the NFL before he plays one down with SU?

I have to say I'm shocked, particularly after his most recent comments about Pitt. Now, couple questions:

- When can he sign on the dotted line? He recently started following other coaches and mentioned he was still open to other teams. So, we need to lock him down with the LOI. Can he sign now or wait until some specific date?

- He's already 20, correct? He will be 22 come 2017. What's the chances he never bolts for the NFL before he plays one down with SU?

This isn't serious is it? So a kid is gonna miss this year. Then potentially next year. Then. Go straight to the nfl after never having proved he can play at a level beyond high school?

SU is more likely to get the waiver than that scenario.

Any decent comparisons out there? Tyler Eifert comes to mind, but it's hard to really say.

Any decent comparisons out there? Tyler Eifert comes to mind, but it's hard to really say.

Too early to say. Size and speed are favorable to very successfull te of the past. But ya never know Til you strap them up.

Someone is sure to reply with gronk. I'd say we temper the expectations But he should be good based on film and measurable a.

Flag!! You used reasonable and NCAA in the same sentence.

Maybe Mora made him practice when Clark was not fully recovered from Mono.Maybe Chris felt his health was more important and decided that UCLA was not a safe environment to stay healthy.

This isn't serious is it? So a kid is gonna miss this year. Then potentially next year. Then. Go straight to the nfl after never having proved he can play at a level beyond high school?

SU is more likely to get the waiver than that scenario.

It's happened before, so it's not out the realm of possibility. What isn't he going to have during his sit-out period? The only thing he won't be able to do is play in a game. NFL is more about measurables, football intelligence, and technique. Those are things he will be working on while he sits out.

He can't. By rule, players cannot declare for the draft until they are 3 years removed from high school. if what you say happens, that means 1st year is UCLA/enroll SU January (2015), 2nd year SU sit out to satisfy transfer (2016), then 3rd year at SU (2017). I guess he could sit out again in 2017 but he might as well play since he is at school.

He can't. By rule, players cannot declare for the draft until they are 3 years removed from high school. if what you say happens, that means 1st year is UCLA/enroll SU January (2015), 2nd year SU sit out to satisfy transfer (2016), then 3rd year at SU (2017). I guess he could sit out again in 2017 but he might as well play since he is at school.

Ah, you're right. Nevermind about my question then. Thanks for clarifying it.

Even if we get Clark for 1 year. If he is talented and plays at an All-American level good luck in the NFL. We need talent and this guy is talent.

I just hope the NCAA considers making Clark sit one game next year and being eligible next year.

Even if we get Clark for 1 year. If he is talented and plays at an All-American level good luck in the NFL. We need talent and this guy is talent.

I just hope the NCAA considers making Clark sit one game next year and being eligible next year.
That would require the NCAA ruling in Syracuse's favor. Not gonna happen

Sorry if posted elsewhere

I listened to the Dan Tortora interview with him and i felt the kid to be genuine and admitting the mistakes he made in the prior recruiting process and just owning them.
Many props to him and the kid can be a legit difference maker
Hope it works out for the best

Finwad32 said:
You know Judy? Small world. Salamone's are a great family.

Yes I know her. But only through some of her endeavors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom