Class of 2016 - TE Chris Clark to Pitt | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 TE Chris Clark to Pitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since you already know that my nephew Dan the Ticket Man is a hard working SOB. here's his cousin, my nephew Kevin trekking from Chicago to Conn. to give something to Mr. Clark.

Jake said:
I think we'll apply for the waiver, but there won't be much expectation to receive it. The only wiggle room I can see is that the rule was designed to stop players from competing one full season at one school and then immediately be eligible the next season without having to sit out games. Clark essentially has already missed this season. Early year transfers like Clark weren't the issue in the NCAAs eyes, but the rule seems to be written to prohibit any transfers. Hard for the NCAA to make an exception here.

Yea, I don't see that waiver being approved but it doesn't hurt to try. Even if the odds are 100-1 there's a chance. Sucks if it's not till 2017 though. Just seems so far away. We still have 8 games this year then 13 next year. 21 games before we even see him suited up on the field.

If anyone's curious about how close things were between SU and Pitt, I'll put it this way: I have it on good authority that Clark was ready to pull the trigger to SU on Monday after getting back from his Pitt visit.

Want to say too that him owning up to the "big head" stuff is a sign of maturity and a great way for him to start things off on the right foot at Syracuse. Nice to get a win like this!

If anyone's curious about how close things were between SU and Pitt, I'll put it this way: I have it on good authority that Clark was ready to pull the trigger to SU on Monday after getting back from his Pitt visit.
So you are saying he was ready to commit to SU right after Pitts visit?

...I'm pretty sure that's EXACTLY what I was saying...
Thank you, didn't know if you were saying pulling the trigger as of shooting SU down. :noidea: My bad.

Are people serious when they say he's going to go to the NFL after playing one game of college football? Or is everyone here trying to be super funny?

Well, I went through all of the posts following mine, which questioned whether him leaving for the NFL prior to playing an SU game was a possibility, and didn't see any, so I suspect your post is in response to my question. No, it wasn't being super funny and, yes, it was serious. The kid has the measurables, the potential, will be 22 when he steps on the field for SU, and there is precedent for a player going from HS to NFL, albeit years ago before the NFL instituted the new rules. That said, another poster reminded me of the three year rule, so the question is now moot.

Wouldn't the first year be his year at prep school?
He won't go pro without any film to get him drafted. He may only stay 1 year but the talent is worth only having him for 1 year. It would be worth it if he left after 1 year it would mean he had a good year.
NFL doesn't draft for upside like the NBA does. They want finished products.

He won't go pro without any film to get him drafted. He may only stay 1 year but the talent is worth only having him for 1 year. It would be worth it if he left after 1 year it would mean he had a good year.
And that 1 year will include a road game at LSU, and another at Florida St, so he will have the chance to go against some of the best defensive talent.

And that 1 year will include a road game at LSU, and another at Florida St, so he will have the chance to go against some of the best defensive talent.

That LSU game will be huge. Most of or skill players will be in year three of the program, and our D will be very experienced. Only OL will be questionable.

Oh, I don't expect him to go that soon. I was just trying to clarify his point. I completely agree with your post. Refreshing, isn't it?! Lol :D

I'm not sure being 24 would stop the NFL teams from drafting him at all. He will have less football miles and could still easily have a 10+ year career. Show me one single team that would decline to draft a player they thought would be great for 6-8 years...They young man can play as much football at SU as he wants and still make boatloads of money and have a long pro career, if he is healthy and good enough. Didn't some team just draft a guy at QB who was even older?

I'm not sure being 24 would stop the NFL teams from drafting him at all. He will have less football miles and could still easily have a 10+ year career. Show me one single team that would decline to draft a player they thought would be great for 6-8 years...They young man can play as much football at SU as he wants and still make boatloads of money and have a long pro career, if he is healthy and good enough. Didn't some team just draft a guy at QB who was even older?
24 won't limit his ability to be drafted. But it might limit his ability to be an elite prospect.

But his on field play will determine that more so than his age.

Out of curiosity, how hard do teams that lost out put the press on a kid like this?

24 won't limit his ability to be drafted. But it might limit his ability to be an elite prospect.

But his on field play will determine that more so than his age.
I'm guessing the average draft age is probably 23 anyway with red shirting and parents holding their kids out of kindergarden a year in some parts of the country.

Jeez, McAllister says it was Cuse's decision because of the need for players in 2016. They didn't know about this issue 2 weeks ago? Not a good look, if true.

Jeez, McAllister says it was Cuse's decision because of the need for players in 2016. They didn't know about this issue 2 weeks ago? Not a good look, if true.

Well, that's not actually what he said. It's his conjecture over a potential part of the reasoning:

"The numbers are also something to consider. Syracuse wants immediate depth at the tight end position. Clark is not likely to see the field until the 2017 season. A waiver that could be filed with the NCAA to get him on the field next season does not have a strong possibility of being granted. "

LOL, honestly this is less surpising then the Pitt 19 play clock draining drive on Saturday. I am just surprised it took this long. The pro Shafer crowd just lost a big argument point.
Not really, never been my argument

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors